how early and where can I get good cup of coffee on Zuiderdam

TomBeckCruise

Agree with 24/7 on Lido. And the description of 'a good cup of coffee' begs the question of how does one describe that.

Of course, you will get 20 different definitions of 'good' from 20 different people asked.

I prefer coffee shop type coffee. I have no problem waiting to 7 in the Explorers lounge while reading a book.

Maybe HAL is different. We haven't sailed with them since 2005, but the other lines we have sailed on usually have poor coffee in the cafeteria, but somewhat better if ordered using room service.

I have brought a Vietnamese Coffee filter to make single cups of coffee. The metal filter is only $3-4 bucks, takes up little space, easy to clean. If it gets damaged, stolen, given as a present for a Royal Wedding when you get invited at the last minute, it is easy to replace.

If you order a pot of hot water (e.g., for tea) from room service, you could bring your own “pour over” device (with filters, either reusable gold or disposable paper), a French press (press pot), or an Aeropress coffee device. You’d bring your own (ground) coffee as well, of course. Or, if you’re extremely discriminating, your beans AND a grinder.

If, like me, your brew of choice is espresso, the Aeropress will give you the closest approximation to that drink.

I only drink one or two coffees per day, but I am picky about quality. The Lido/buffet coffee has *never* been what I want to drink, on Carnival, HAL, or Crystal Cruises. Not even when the vat of coffee is freshly filled. It’s just not what I like.

I could order espresso in the dining room on all of these lines, mass market & luxury, and it was at least fair. I will drink a machine made espresso, preferentially over machine made drip coffee.

Specialty coffee bar espressos (on ships) are almost universally better, but no ship has had the kind of coffee I seek out on land: single origin espresso. (Most coffee shops, EVEN specialty coffee shops, also fail to offer what I really hope for, EVEN on land, so this is no surprise to me.)

There really is a lot of room for the definition of “good coffee”! :D

I.......

Specialty coffee bar espressos (on ships) are almost universally better, but no ship has had the kind of coffee I seek out on land: single origin espresso. (Most coffee shops, EVEN specialty coffee shops, also fail to offer what I really hope for, EVEN on land, so this is no surprise to me.)

There really is a lot of room for the definition of “good coffee”! :D

Our definition of good (great) coffee is thanks to a HAL cruise port stop in Puerto Chiapas, Mexico. And our shore excursion to Finca Argovia - DH loves that single origin coffee so much he special orders it directly from the Argovia plantation.

Our definition of good (great) coffee is thanks to a HAL cruise port stop in Puerto Chiapas, Mexico. And our shore excursion to Finca Argovia - DH loves that single origin coffee so much he special orders it directly from the Argovia plantation.

Thanks for that tidbit, and I'm positive that there are 1,000 additional anecdotes about what 'good' / 'great' coffee is. ;)

Oof! Now I am so jealous and really wish I were joining my parents on their Panama Canal cruise next spring!

I don’t think I can imagine a better souvenir of a trip than a new favorite coffee to be ordered direct from the grower... :)