Canadian River Cruise

1westover

Help, please!

We are contemplating taking our 11 year grandson on a river cruise next summer. He is mature enough to learn from the experience.

I would appreciate any suggestions or ideas:confused: from someone who has had experience.

Thank you so much.

You might want to check out St. Lawrence Cruise Lines. They have cruises between Kingston and Ottawa Ontario and Kingston and Québec City. Both have stops in Montréal. I have no experience with them, but the itineraries look interesting.

We did the Kingston to Montreal R/T on the Canadian Empress

it was a cute ship but the cabins are very cozy

Lyn

I took the St. Lawrence cruise from Montreal a few years back -- review and info is here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/reviews/cruiseline.cfm?CruiseLineID=78. It was a fun experience though primarily geared to seniors. If your grandson wants a lot of activity and recreation it might not be the right trip for him. On the other hand, if he's pretty good about entertaining himself, it's a lovely experience.

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

Cruise Critic

You might want to consider taking your grandson on a Road Scholar (formerly Elderhostel) program. There aren't very many cruises among their intergenerational programs but here's something that I thought looked like a decent alternative:

http://www.roadscholar.org/programs/programdetail.asp?rowid=1%2BLY%2B692

Searching their website might also give you some other ideas.

Happy travels.

Also before you get your heart set on a river cruise please check the age limits. Some companies allow no one under the age of 12. Uniworld does family cruises in europe in the summer--geared toward grandparents amd grandchildren. Also don't know of any cabins that have room for more than 2 people. We have been on 14 river cruises and sailed with 5 lines.

Pat

We spent 2 weeks on a Toromto/Niagra Falls trip with out 3 youngest when they wer around the age of your grand. Really a great trip. We toured the baseball stadium and had lunch at the attached Hard Rock Cafe. Also spent a day at the amusement park and a day at the outdoor living museum. Of coursea trip to Legolamd was mandatory. Niarga Falls on the American side was quite interesting--donned the raingear and went down to the observation tower. We will be taking the last of our grands(and their parents) to Disney World this coming Jan. We have loved being away just the small family group, creating memoroes for them and us. Enjoy your time with your grandson. Pat

If your grandson likes Hockey, Toronto has the Hockey Hall of Fame. There is also the CN Tower (once was the tallest free standing structure in the world...) and the Science Centre.

If you come during baseball season, the Skydome is a great place to see a ball game (if you are so inclined) --> never have to worry about being rained out. And - Toronto has a great theatre scene.

For Niagara Falls - just a warning, it is quite touristy. But - you can get a "boat" experience by taking a trip on the Maid of the Mist. You don rain gear and take a boat cruise up close to the falls. And, the best views *are* from the Canadian side...(sorry, am a bit prejudiced here!!)

I live just outside Toronto - and have lived here almost all of my life. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me franski@rogers.com.

Fran

Archived