Power strips

booklvrq

I have been finding mixed messages about what is allowable in power strips to recharge electronics shipboard. Does anyone know what is the “official” criteria from HAL on power strips? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been finding mixed messages about what is allowable in power strips to recharge electronics shipboard. Does anyone know what is the “official” criteria from HAL on power strips? Thanks in advance

I have always taken a receptacle that has several plug in spots plus places for charging cell phones, no surge protector is allowed. Plus I take an extension cord for my CPAP, never had an issue. f9bd573420d1a3a69b4012d38eab5383.jpg

Purchased this on Amazon

I only use it when we’re in the cabin

To get the official ruling check “ Know before you go” in their site.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by mllewis48

Power strips (or any other device) need to not have a surge protector. Surge protection can cause a fire in the walls anywhere upstream from your outlet -- only using when in the room is no prevention for a remote fire starting.

Good advice, but slightly incorrect in the danger. It is the surge protector itself that will catch fire, not something anywhere else on the ship or in the walls. It is a ground fault elsewhere on the ship that can cause the surge protector to catch fire.

Good advice, but slightly incorrect in the danger. It is the surge protector itself that will catch fire, not something anywhere else on the ship or in the walls. It is a ground fault elsewhere on the ship that can cause the surge protector to catch fire.

Thanks for the correction, Chief! I'll be sure to get it right in the future.

Wherever it starts, fire on a ship is not something to risk!

Does anyone know what is the “official” criteria from HAL on power strips?
From KBYG.pdf (Know Before You Go) page 8:

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact Guest Services for more information.

From KBYG.pdf (Know Before You Go) page 8:

Electrical Appliances: All staterooms are equipped with standard 110 AC and 220 AC outlets. Guests with pre- or post-cruise hotel packages may want to bring converters and/or adapters for their hotel stay. All staterooms are equipped with hair dryers. If more outlet space is necessary, only Holland America Line provided power bars are to be used. Please contact Guest Services for more information.

I am so happy to see this is now official policy and that there are reports of power strips being confiscated.

We had two fools in the cabin next to ours on the Rotterdam in March and they routinely were blowing the circuits and leaving our cabin in the dark.

Security did a search three days into the cruise and confiscated two strips that were hidden away.

I am so happy to see this is now official policy and that there are reports of power strips being confiscated.

We had two fools in the cabin next to ours on the Rotterdam in March and they routinely were blowing the circuits and leaving our cabin in the dark.

Security did a search three days into the cruise and confiscated two strips that were hidden away.

The simple use of a power strip or two would not cause overloading of circuits. Power strips by themselves will not cause problems like tripping breakers, it is the amount of things plugged in that does that, and this could be accomplished using a couple of simple multiple end extension cords. It is even possible that the persons in the cabin that were causing the problem were not drawing enough power on their own to trip a breaker, but the simple fact that 2 or 3 cabins are on the same circuit means that if ladies in all 3 cabins fire up their hair dryers at the same time, likely the breaker will trip.

The simple use of a power strip or two would not cause overloading of circuits. Power strips by themselves will not cause problems like tripping breakers, it is the amount of things plugged in that does that, and this could be accomplished using a couple of simple multiple end extension cords. It is even possible that the persons in the cabin that were causing the problem were not drawing enough power on their own to trip a breaker, but the simple fact that 2 or 3 cabins are on the same circuit means that if ladies in all 3 cabins fire up their hair dryers at the same time, likely the breaker will trip.

Yes, I realize that. And, no, we "ladies" were not powering up hairdryers to blow the circuits at the time the circuits were blowing (middle of the morning, mid afternoons, late evenings).

In any case, once the power strips were gone next door, we had no more problems with loss of power.

How many plugs does the average balcony cabin have now? If we are charging up a phone and a Kindle and using a Cpap all at night, will we have enough spots? I just assumed a small non-surge protector power strip like the one pictured above would be ok. :confused:

How many plugs does the average balcony cabin have now? If we are charging up a phone and a Kindle and using a Cpap all at night, will we have enough spots? I just assumed a small non-surge protector power strip like the one pictured above would be ok. :confused:

I would contact your PCC or the HAL hotline and ask for a multi-outlet extension cord, or multi-outlet for the chargers AND extension cord for the CPAP for your room.

The above quote from KBYG doesn't give a CLUE how many or where the outlets may be in any particular room (which is going to vary by ship for one thing), so the snotty reply is not helpful, sorry about that!

I would contact your PCC or the HAL hotline and ask for a multi-outlet extension cord, or multi-outlet for the chargers AND extension cord for the CPAP for your room.

The above quote from KBYG doesn't give a CLUE how many or where the outlets may be in any particular room (which is going to vary by ship for one thing), so the snotty reply is not helpful, sorry about that!

Thank you so much for your kind response. Oh, and no problem about that snotty and very unhelpful post. It's an online forum so some rudeness sadly comes with the territory. You get used to it. The Ignore feature is helpful. ;)

I will ask our PCC if we can reserve a power strip as well as the extension cord or a combo, just whatever will get the job done. I hope they have a hefty supply of powers strips with this new policy. I know some have mentioned they can run out of special request items so hopefully we will not have troubles.

So many folks travel with multiple hand held devices now that they use everyday. And even some suites don't have many plugs compared to land based hotels. We never used to bother with handheld anything on cruises but we have both gone with Kindle since our last cruise, me the tablet and dh the app on his phone. Nice for aging eyes especially those of avid readers. Plus, keeps dh from packing so many books. :rolleyes::D

We have never stayed in a HAL balcony cabin before so I was not sure how many plugs are available. Pictures seem to indicate the desk area for sure but not the night stand areas. I am sure they do vary and I should have mentioned the NA in particular, our first time on her as well. And the plug options may even vary on her different balcony options as well. Just had me worried as this will be the first cruise we have taken since dh started using a CPAP, which is a total godsend but that is a plug that will be monopolized every night.

Thanks again. :)

Edited by fatcat04

The messages are totally 100% not mixed. The answer if extremely simple - if the power strip has built in surge suppressor, you can not bring it on board. Very simple.

DON

I contacted my PCC who contacted the Zaandam's ship services who said power strips with NO surge protection are allowed. I am printing this letter, FWIW.

Good. I will do the same. Better safe than sorry. Thanks again. (y)

Just off Veendam. Nice area with lighted makeup mirror and hair dryer for me to sit and get ready while my husband showered. Hair dryer had special plug. Two regular plugs in wall next to it. Beside the tv was a power strip that had at least 4 plugs. Didn’t need to ask for it. Worked great, never needed more outlets.

Fatcat - it always helps to read the thread before posting a question.

Look at post #7.

(n)(n)(n)

... The above quote from KBYG doesn't give a CLUE how many or where the outlets may be in any particular room (which is going to vary by ship for one thing), so the snotty reply is not helpful, sorry about that!

(y)(y)(y) Thanks for speaking up, crystalspin!

Just off Veendam. Nice area with lighted makeup mirror and hair dryer for me to sit and get ready while my husband showered. Hair dryer had special plug. Two regular plugs in wall next to it. Beside the tv was a power strip that had at least 4 plugs. Didn’t need to ask for it. Worked great, never needed more outlets.

Thank you for the info. That is great!! (y)