STUPIDITY Taken to a New Level by MSC

sidari

A friend has booked two cruises on the same ship albeit not at the same time, the cruises with different booking numbers are basically back to back.

The first cruise is in a one category of cabin but entails a change of cabin for the second cruise, the second cruise has a different itinerary and they booked a Bella Guarantee cabin.

MSC have since they booked given them an upgrade to Fantastica and same type of cabin, but at the opposite end of the ship, the TA asked MSC if it was possible to have the same cabin on the original deck to cut down the time to move clothing etc.

MSC did just that, same category cabin (Fantastica) on the same deck as they have the first week just further along the hallway.

MSC are now trying to charge them the difference between the original Bella Guarantee and the Fantastica cabin for the second week, despite the fact that MSC have given them the upgrade to a Fantastica cabin!

You just could not make it up.

I suppose you don't get a choice with a free upgrade, Dave. It'll be interesting to hear if MSC does charge the extra cost - strange that they'd change the allocated upgraded cabin and then look to charge for it.

The policy that I have experienced that seems ludicrous to me is one that involves our Divina booking. We booked the last Caribbean sailing plus the TA to Europe as one sailing (31 nights). Now, as most people on here know, the 11 night Caribbean leg was chartered by the Holistic group, then the itinerary was changed, so MSC were prepared to allow us to cruise move without losing our €200 deposit.

We then considered just dropping the first 11 night leg, keeping the 20 night crossing; all well and fine, this was no problem ... until it came to re-booking the cabin. We have an Aurea balcony booked; there were no cabins in that category available - WHAT???? We have one booked for those very nights. "Sorry - you can't have the one you have" is, basically, MSC's policy.

Now, we have 'til the end of December to decide whether to cancel and lose the deposit (there were no other cruises of interest to me within the narrow T&Cs that MSC allow for us to not lose the deposit). We now are holding a cabin that MSC could have had back to sell on for the 11 night cruise. Instead, we have a cabin booked that can't be sold again until we (finally) decide what we're going to do.

What I find strange is that when the travel agent rang MSC about this they said yes no problem and changed the cabin from the back of Deck 12 to Deck 13, no mention of extra money!

Had the move requested been to a Balcony from the Inside cabin then I could understand them being asked to pay extra.

It seems the Travel agent checked the booking on their system and noticed that MSC had now charged them for a Fantastica Inside ! when MSC were challenged over it the answer was that once Genoa allocate a Guarantee cabin it cannot be changed! but, MSC changed it !! Now then the booking was for a Bella inside Guarantee, MSC Genoa as is claimed by MSC allocated a Fantastica Inside and so changed the cabin.

The cabin MSC are asking more money for is the exact same Category as the one given by Genoa, it makes no sense whatsoever.

The travel agent is now considering not taking any future MSC bookings due to this and other issues that they have encountered with them.

Perhaps I've done one too many guarantees to know... if you request a change when you have a cabin assignment, you should expect to pay. While the TA might not have heard or asked about the monetary cost of making the change, I wouldn't call it stupid for the cruise line to ask for it because you're taking the guarantee randomness out of the equation by asking for a specific location on the ship. Knowing how many times I've sailed guarantee and played the game, I don't fault MSC for this at all. I fault the TA for NOT asking MSC if this would result in an additional cost. MSC doesn't have to tell a TA it would cost more. Any decent TA would know when modifying a guarantee reservation once assigned it usually comes with a change in cruise fare.

Anyone with an ounce of common sense would look at the fact that they have a booking for the cruise prior and issue a Guarantee cabin either on the same deck or close by on a deck below or above if available and not at the opposite end of the ship.

The original cabin is no longer available so it's a case of waiting for MSC to make a decision as to whether a further payment will be requested, if it is then they have to give the benefits to go with a Fantastica cabin.

It was MSC UK who said the change was possible and not the travel agent, hence the left hand not knowing what the right hand is doing.

It would appear that common sense has prevailed on the issue, MSC have decided that they can keep the cabin and at no extra charge, no idea if it had anything to do with the previous original cabin now being sold.

Bea ... Yes quite surprised about it as that is the second time in about three weeks that common sense has prevailed with MSC.

Then they go and spoil it by telling our travel agent that they want £100 to remove a middle name that they added on another customers booking.

Name change(s) at $100.00; is reasonable.

Try it with other cruise lines...or airlines! Most will Not do it for any $$$.

MSC will let you change passenger/name up to a week before departure for $100; a friend’s travel partner had a conflict and MSC let her choose another person just a week before sailing...not family either!

Try that on another carrier....

Some expect too much, if MSC (and their T&Cs; did you read them?) does not fit your taste....please choose another line...freedom...a wonderful thing.

Every sunset is Awesome :-)

NM ... If you are going to comment at least read and understand the post first.

MSC added the middle name no one else! A request was made that they remove their mistake which was met with the request for a £100 payment in order to do it.

Why should someone pay for their mistake.

Post was read, the cruise line got that middle name from the customer or TA...they don’t ‘make up’ passengers names...good grief.

Plus if it is the passengers name...middle, first, or otherwise...what’s the issue? Undo the top button, deep breath...ahhhh vacation...

Sounds like the oatmeal is ruining someone’s vacation again!