Sun Princess to replace Pacific Princess

Yeah, I read this on another site this morning.

Sun Princess to operate Australian season

May 9, 2006

Princess Cruises is basing superliner Sun Princess in Sydney for the 2007/08 summer season.

The company said the 77,000-ton ship, built at a cost of $400 million in 1995, would be “tailored for Australians” during a summer season of round-trip cruises ex Sydney, including two circumnavigations of Australia and four of New Zealand.

Sun Princess will operate in the South Pacific between November 2007 and April 2008, replacing the 30,200-ton boutique liner, Pacific Princess, which has offered premium cruising in the Australian market since 2002.

Princess Cruises Australia managing director Gavin Smith said the 1950-passenger Sun Princess would offer almost three times as many beds as the 670-passenger Pacific Princess.

The company said Sun Princess would offer Australian entertainment and onboard currency in AUD. However the vessel would retain signature Princess characteristics, including 410 cabins with private balconies. She would also introduce ‘Anytime Dining’, where passengers could eat with whom they want and when they want at a choice of dining venues.

The ship has a glass-walled health spa and gym, panoramic glass-walled elevators, a four-storey atrium, eight restaurants and cafes, four pools, five whirlpool spas, seven lounges and bars, two children’s clubs, nightclub, golf simulator and a sports court.

Sun Princess will offer 10 cruises from Sydney in the summer of 2007/08 including two round-Australia cruises, four voyages to New Zealand, three to the South Pacific islands and one to Tasmania and Victoria. In addition to Sun Princess ’ deployment in 2007-08, Princes Cruises’ 116,000-ton megaliner Sapphire Princess will operate in Australian waters catering mostly to American passengers with an onboard currency in US dollars.

Dawn Princess has not been cancelled ~ she start cruising as Pacific Dawn on 26 OCT 2007 ~ W733 Coral Bliss ~ 8 nights.

http://www.pocruises.com.au/html/w733-south-pacific.cfm

:D

Regal Princess will be coming to Australia as Pacific Dawn in 2007, Dawn Princess is staying with the Princess fleet as Dawn Princess. It's all a bit confusing - even on our cruise on Pacific Star, the cruise director Dan Styne was making that mistake.

Dawn Princess was supposed to come to Australia over the 2005/2006 summer, and do some circumnavigations and some cruises to the South Pacific in additon to Pacific Princess, but that never happened, instead Pacific Princess did the circumnavigations as well as her other scheduled cruises.

I must say I'm rather disappointed the Pacific Princess is being replaced.I really loved the intimate size of the Princess ,no long queues for tenders and buffet- always plenty of seating in the lounges.No long distances to walk -in fact i just loved the whole atmosphere .We were planning another trip on her next year.After the pushing and shoving and long long queues on the Sun,I'm not keen on going on a large ship again ,although I may try the Dawn Princess when she comes .I will really miss the Princess ,as indeed I will miss the Sky.Some ships just have that certain something that makes you feel good-I'm afraid i will shed no tears when the Sun is relocated -it just doesnt have the same atmosphere.not enough open deck space,poor lay out ,too much cigarette smoke .

Pacific Princess has been my favourite ship as well.It just has a certain something about it and the size is just great.As you say no lining up,pushing or shoving and by its very nature creates a warm and friendly atmosphere in a gracious and dignified setting.You feel like you are on a voyage,rather than a floating resort.

I am hoping she may be sent to Asia for cruising so that wont be too far away and we still have Tahitian Princess,again not too far away and shortly Royal Princess which I hope, may also come near us......all 3 identical ships.

Archived