Oahu Revealed

spleen93

For those of you that are fans of Wizard Publications and the "Revealed" guides, I'm pleased to announce that "Oahu Revealed" is out. Found a copy today at Borders - we're looking through it now and we'll let you know how it rates.

Spleen

Got ours about two weeks ago from Amazon.com. We've been on the list for about a year to get a copy as soon as it was released. It follows in its predecessors' footprints. Lots of good info! Glad it came out before our next trip.

From a quick view through the book, wish that they hadn't mentioned the Haiku Stairs. Stupid thing's been closed forever and probably will remain closed for quite some time to come - lots of problems with people illegally climbing it and trespassing in the process (sigh)

Still reading ...

Spleen

I think I stumbled upon these books at Waldenbooks today. I saw one on Oahu, Maui, and Kauai. They looked like they covered many things, had nice maps and colored graphics.

Do these books get redone each year? Looks like something I'll certainly look into. I have FROMMERS HAWAII 2004, and DUMMIES HAWAII already.

People who have been reading these boards for a while know that my absolute favorite guide books for Hawaii are the "Revealed" guides - has stuff in there that I don't know on occasion and I've essentially lived here all my life ... :)

They get updated on a semi-regular basis - not every year though.

Spleen

• 2 weeks later...

spleen93

:)

I got my copy of Oahu Revealed at Barnes & Noble today. I noticed that they didn't rate Paradise Cove very good. I was going to book them for Jan. 2005. Has anyone been to the Germaines Luau, they are rated second best in the book. Polynesian Cultural Center is rate the best. I went to Polynesian Cultural Center Luau in Dec. 2002. It was real good.

SDM

I agree that the 'revealed'' guides are great. However, the authors do take the tourists off the beaten path to many places they may not have found in the traditional guide books. Hence, many of these formally pristine places are now being bombarded by tourists....and this leads to problems. I can only ask that visitors to our beautiful islands keep this in mind and treat these "hidden treasures" with respect. Take your garbage and trash out of these places with you and remember that these are the places that we enjoy on a daily basis.

I live here on the Big Island, and I know that the Volcano National Park bookstore will not sell these guide books for just that reason. Also, in the little community that I live in, we have a miracle of nature that is mentioned in the blue book. It has led to many problems here in our community with folks wanting to explore what the blue book has mentioned. It is a daily problem. Our sea turtles are being threatened.

Thanks for listening...

Laurie

Laurie - exactly my point as well. I don't blame the Revealed guides for this - it's their job, after all. But people do need to respect the land and the people that live there and be respectful of their property.

SDM - people that have been to Germaine's have rated it fairly well overall. Does seem to have better comments than Paradise.

Spleen

spleen93

:) We will be in Honolulu for 5 nights, Kauai for 3 nights, and Kona for 5 nights in Jan, 2005. If there is a better Luau on Kauai or Kona, we could go to it. Do you or anyone know?

Pride of Aloha Jan. 16, 2005 cancelled

SDM

spleen93

:)

I got my copy of Oahu Revealed at Barnes & Noble today. I noticed that they didn't rate Paradise Cove very good. I was going to book them for Jan. 2005. Has anyone been to the Germaines Luau, they are rated second best in the book. Polynesian Cultural Center is rate the best. I went to Polynesian Cultural Center Luau in Dec. 2002. It was real good.

SDM

SDM,

We booked Germaine's using an Entertainment Book coupon (25% savings per person). In addition, my sister-in-law went to this luau on her honeymoon and raved about it. From her, this is very high praise as she is often hard to please and picky about food. While I don't mean this as an insult to my SIL (well not too much of an insult anyway ;) ), it speaks highly of her experience with this luau.

• 5 months later...

Laurie and Spleen, I'm so sorry to hear that your beautiful paradise is being trashed by tourists. I'm afraid that it happens everywhere. People don't treat what isn't theirs as if it were theirs and we will lose some wonderful natural treasures because of it.

Just bought the Blue Books thru Amazon. They came in about three days with no postage ch00arged if you ordered a certain dollar amount and the four books qualified me. Looks like lots of good information - I'm plowing through!!

Quick question for those of you who do have these books, any reputable and reasonable places to get a massage in Oahu? $400 is obviously pricey and would love to treat my DH to a massage with me to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary!

The Ihilini Spa at the JW Marriott at Ko'Olina is AMAZING!! The massage will run you about $115, but you will get full use of their Roman Tub, sauna, steam room, and needle shower.

I did a half day package there a few weeks ago and it was awesome. So, awesome that I have now booked a LomiLomi massage for myself and theraputic massages for my mom, sister, and SIL when they get in town next weekend.

• 9 months later...

Wow, you've been gone for a while! :)

So still considering where to stay pre-cruise? If you can afford it, the Ihilani is a gorgeous area to stay and it's away from the hustle/bustle of Waikiki/Honolulu that some like and many others dislike. Obviously, the massage at the spa there would be a good choice but as already mentioned, expensive. Actually, almost any hotel massage will generally be pricey. I can also highly recommend the Kahala Mandarin Oriental's spa. The massages are done in their spa suites and it's very relaxing to hear the outside plants sway and rustle in the breeze. Around the same price as the Ihilani or maybe slightly higher?

Spleen

My wife and I spent the first four nights of this month at the J.W. Marriott and loved it. Spleen93's comments were right on. It is a great place to stay if you want to get away from Honolulu. I have done that before - - never again.

The J.W. is expensive and there are no other places to eat without driving some distance, but all the meals we had at the hotel were very good so we didn't mind even though we had a car.

Not much happens after sunset, so it is a great place to calm down.

Archived