Specialty Restaurants on Explorer

ozscot01

Could anyone offer their impressions on Shell and Bones or 400 Gradi please? I'm looking at a package which gives us a dining credit to use in either of these venues and would appreciate feedback or even a menu for 400 Gradi.

I Know the Shell and Bones menu is a-la-carte and frankly I think we'd struggle to spend $120 in one sitting.

Many thanks [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was on The Explorer a few weeks ago and ate at 400 Gradi once. (didn't try Shell and Bones ). Both the pizza and dessert were delicious and there were quite a few folks eating there each night and also getting takeaway from my observations. I didn't get a copy of the menu but hopefully someone will have one.

I would have eaten there again but I got a strep throat/ cold and spent the last 4 days mostly in my cabin. Still enjoyed the cruise though :)

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you for the response Thorpe. I did manage to find a menu and it seems really inexpensive. I think we'd struggle to spend $120 there too. Maybe they'll let us eat in both with the credit [emoji4]

Glad you enjoyed your cruise, some of the recent reviews are a little concerning.

Don't stress over reviews :). I had spent a bit of time on her when she was Dawn Princess and her makeover has freshened her up for the better. I highly recommend the dinner and show "Love Riot". It was amazing, the food and the show.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Why would you go on a cruise to pay extra for the food from those so called speciality restaurants and you are not even served by the celebrity chef themselves, then there is the extra charges for a burger and pizza. I don't know if anyone has heard that P&O Australia is now charging extra for a speciality entertainment show on the Pacific Explorer and this is just another idea to charge passengers extra on cruises. COME ON GIVE US A BREAK !!!

We go on cruises because of the food and shows that’s supposed to be included in our fare. What's next charge for using the pool. P.S Cruise companies if you read this, that was not a suggestion.

To encourage people to use premium services, cruise lines have more reason to reduce the quality of their included offerings. :mad:(n)

I respect your opinion on this ccsclean21, and it's not an uncommon one. However, I appreciate having choices and I suspect the continued increase in offerings means that others do too. P&O is new to us and I hope that we are not disappointed in the included restaurants, I don't plant to be. I simply requested opinions from those who had experienced the optional dining venues should we decide to add a bit of variety.

Maybe one day we'll be able to cruise truly all-Inclusive and not have to consider spending extra on food, for now we'll make do with the value we get on the mainstream lines [emoji4]

Hi Ozscot01 I don't mean to offend anyone but years ago there were no speciality restaurants just buffets and MDRs now they are popping up like weeds. but personally I find speciality Restaurants are a gimmick and people try them out with mixed reactions to the quality and service on the ships. I I have been on the P&O Pacific Jewel twice and enjoyed it but there is a lot of things u get free on other lines that u pay for on P&O but I found the food to very good and the crew onboard to be very friendly and the cakes in the pantry are free and very nice. If they have high tea on Pacific Explorer try that out, it cost $20 back 2015 on the Jewel but a lot of fun and cakes that are delicious or you could enjoy the cakes from the pantry that are free and they are nice too. I think you will enjoy the cruise and the food. Just remember you are not on a 5star ship but the service and food on board the Jewel was equal to the five star ships. You have to pay for the little extras you get free on the 4.5 and 5 star ships like room service, ice cream on pool deck and use of sporting amenities like the Pacific Edge but P&O Australian cruises are cheaper and no Gratuities so you use that to cove the extras.

Enjoy your cruise and tell us what you think when you get back .

Hi ccsclean21, I did not take offence at all at your comments. Im learning that there are as many opinions as there are options when it comes to cruising.

I do like to know what my options are though as we are taking our first detour to P&O and it's all a learning curve.

I'm sure we will enjoy the change. And thank you for the heads up on afternoon tea. I like to indulge on sea days so will definitely look into that [emoji4]

Could anyone offer their impressions on Shell and Bones or 400 Gradi please?

I Know the Shell and Bones menu is a-la-carte and frankly I think we'd struggle to spend $120 in one sitting.

Many thanks [emoji4]

Here is a menu from shell and bones on the 2nd of July cruise. 6e672d70838954365fb196700d2ab01e.jpg3b35ab3d20fd1bcde9d02c5af399c592.jpgaa4e970afaa881bf12fb2ce09b4912ea.jpg

Thank you Andlep. I appreciate that [emoji4]

You are welcome.

I also agree with Thorpe, don't worry about negative reviews, the Explorer is a great ship and you will have a great time :-)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Edited by andlep
Syntax