Would you friend your Carnival Waiter/Waitress on Facebook?

MoMo07

I had a waitress in the MDR on our recent Carnival Pride trip that I just loved. I know it is her job to be nice, but by the end she felt like a friend. She went above and beyond, did special things for us, confided in us, sought us out during the day on the Lido deck, etc.

She had at one point mentioned that she used facebook to stay in touch with friends and family back home. A very quick search on facebook brought her profile up.

Would it be weird for me to send her a facebook friend request? I do not want to invade her privacy (which I may have already done just by searching for her!!). I mean... there is a reason Carnival doesn't put their last names on their name tag, right? And it is very possible that guests are the last people crew want to friend.

But it would be nice to stay in touch, and to see what ship she is on in the future when I am booking my cruises. Have any of you ever remained friends with crew through social media after your cruise?

yes we became friends with a waitress. in fact we met her on the pride on the lido deck as well. we got her facebook info well still on the ship. we keep in touch often.

i think with her bring up the fact of keeping in touch via facebook shows she would not mind.

Edited by itsrikkig

I think it would have been a better idea to ask her when onboard. Being she did mention it a lot, and she didn't suggest you become friends at that time makes me wonder if she didn't want to have her professional life mixed with her personal one.

Part of me thinks it's OK, but the other part feels like it could be a little intrusive.

If you do, just don't be disappointed if she doesn't accept.

I'd have to say yes since one of the entertainment staff from our first cruise (Kristee) is my Facebook friend. :) We really connected and she (like almost every female staff member on the boat LOL) fell head over heels for my incredibly charming, adorable son.

Srsly. He had half the female staff wrapped around his little finger by the time we disembarked. I've seen him charm the ladies before, but not on such a massive scale. :D

I dont think its weird at all. It is up to her to accept your friend request anyway. Or you could send her a private message first, and just say you were thinking about how wonderful she made your experience on the ship and remember her saying she had a facebook, so you thought you'd send her a message to say hello and hopefully keep in touch. Then maybe she will add you as a friend after reading your message. I bet she would love to hear from you.

no issue in my opinion, and as others noted it's up to her to accept. i'm friends with two of the piano bar entertainers from my past cruises, and one of the bar waitresses too. in the case of the most recent pbe from my cruise last month, we still 'talk' often, and we do consider each other 'real friends'. we're planning to catch up some time later this year (not on a ship).

I wouldn't because that's not how I "use" Facebook. I'm not the kind of person who just friends people I meet. I mostly have very close friends and family. BUT that said, I do not think it would be inappropriate to request. As others have posted, if she is okay with it, she'll accept If she's not, she won't. Just try not to take it personally if she doesn't accept. Even if she genuinely liked you guys, she might not be comfortable sharing as much with you as she does on FB.

Would you send a Facebook friend request to the waiter at your local Chili's or Hometown Buffet? Just because they served you for a week, they aren't your friends.

I disagree, when I go to Hooters the waitress sits down, talks to me and acts like I'm her most important customer in the restaurant. The wife says it's for a better tip. Ya think? :)

I had a waitress in the MDR on our recent Carnival Pride trip that I just loved. I know it is her job to be nice, but by the end she felt like a friend. She went above and beyond, did special things for us, confided in us, sought us out during the day on the Lido deck, etc.

She had at one point mentioned that she used facebook to stay in touch with friends and family back home. A very quick search on facebook brought her profile up.

Would it be weird for me to send her a facebook friend request? I do not want to invade her privacy (which I may have already done just by searching for her!!). I mean... there is a reason Carnival doesn't put their last names on their name tag, right? And it is very possible that guests are the last people crew want to friend.

But it would be nice to stay in touch, and to see what ship she is on in the future when I am booking my cruises. Have any of you ever remained friends with crew through social media after your cruise?

Hi MoMo07 :)

My wife & I have been cruising over 30 years now, and have made many dear

friends from various cruise lines. Long before social media we would stay in touch

as pen pals or via the phone. Now that social media & email exists, it certainly

makes things easier.

Over the years we have continued to stay in contact with a great deal of stewards,

servers, executive chef's, cruise directors, photographers and a handful of officers.

I would suggest in the future, asking the crew member while you're on the ship.

Its funny..........my wife & I find the crew members we keep in touch with via social

media, mail, email, phone/skype, and in person, far more interesting than many of

our Facebook friends & family, hahahahaha!

:)

Her mentioning it in regards to friends and family is not the same as her saying, "Hey, friend me!"

Personally I think it's a little weird and wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

Her mentioning it in regards to friends and family is not the same as her saying, "Hey, friend me!"

Personally I think it's a little weird and wouldn't do it, but to each their own.

I agree. And I would think asking them on the ship might put them in an ackward position where they feel they need to agree to be your Facebook friend to avoid offending you. (They wouldn't want you to lower their tips or complain about them.)

It was their job to be nice to you and treat you like a friend. Your view of that relationship post cruise might be totally different than the server's. Since you can see her Facebook page you may be able to tell which ship she is on just by visiting it without being her friend.

What I would do is take a look at her friends list if you can see it and see what kind of people she is friends with. Does it look like she is just friends with family/close friends/co-workers or does she have a lot of friends like look like they may be former passengers. Then decide if you want to send a friend request.

I'm friends with my PVP on Facebook. Not only that, but we get together every time I'm in South Florida whether I'm cruising or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It was their job to be nice to you and treat you like a friend. Your view of that relationship post cruise might be totally different than the server's. Since you can see her Facebook page you may be able to tell which ship she is on just by visiting it without being her friend.

What I would do is take a look at her friends list if you can see it and see what kind of people she is friends with. Does it look like she is just friends with family/close friends/co-workers or does she have a lot of friends like look like they may be former passengers. Then decide if you want to send a friend request.

I think this is good advice. It's not unprecedented to do so, but I would only consider doing it myself in very, very rare situations.

Both DH and I are friends on Facebook with an officer we met in Guest Services! She made our cruise a great experience and we still talk to her to this day! It is so much fun to see where she travels as she takes on different contracts! One of these days we hope to end up on a ship where she is working again!

Keep in mind that this person is working and everyone working wants to keep their customers happy. Maybe I'm a glass half empty guy regarding this topic, but I often wonder what the servers, etc say about us when they walk away. I often imagine it goes something like "only 3 more days and I never have to see them again".

Everyone uses FB differently, but I have a job dealing with the public and I would never accept a friend request from a customer unless they were already my personal friend. My personal life and business is none of my customer's business. Personally, I would find it rather creepy if a random customer would friend request me on FB ( and whether or not we believe it, we are just those random customers to those working on ships).