Favorite Drinks

gjkov

Depends on the weather. If colder, bourbon Manhattan or Old Fashioned or Irish Coffee after dinner.

If warmer, Mojito or Caipirhina or Hendricks Martini or Gimlet.

Straight frozen vodka or aquavit with caviar.

Classic champagne cocktail with Angostura Bitters, sugar cube and a twist is always a great aperitif.

Thanks for all the great beverage ideas!

On our only other cruise so far, last summer on Royal Caribbean, my DH asked the bartender for one of his favorite after dinner drinks, a Smith and Kearns. The bartender had never heard of it, but apparently googled it and came back with one of the best Smith and Kearns we’d ever had! He became our favorite bartender and we enjoyed more delicious drinks throughout the cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
Another one that sounds gross but is delicious is a chocolate martini. Great for dessert and I heard somewhere that there are no calories if you drink chocolate:evilsmile:

My DH loves the choclate martinis on Regent! One of his indulgences on board. Mine is a Chi Chi with vanilla ice cream if it’s a warm cruise, and I love the brandy Alexanders after dinner. Otherwise, color me wine🍷

• 5 months later...
Another one that sounds gross but is delicious is a chocolate martini. Great for dessert and I heard somewhere that there are no calories if you drink chocolate:evilsmile:

LOL if only alcohol was calorie-free!

This is a great thread, I plan to experiment and go outside the box with new drinks on our cruise.

No calories ONLY if it is Swiss chocolate!!!

I love Dark and Stormy's. And Apérol Spritz. After dinner - a stinger does me just fine - on the rocks!!:)

No calories ONLY if it is Swiss chocolate!!!

I love Dark and Stormy's. And Apérol Spritz. After dinner - a stinger does me just fine - on the rocks!!:)

Would love to have a chocolate martini with Swiss chocolate but don't know how the ship would get a hold of the chocolate!

Had my first Dark and Stormy recently and will definitely try one again.

The drink that I have most often (at lunch because I can't mix the wine I have at dinner with mixed drinks) is a Mexican Butterfly (with Don Julio or Patron tequila).

Maybe we should try some drinks together on Splendor:D

They can’t make this drink on board (though perhaps a Rum Punch would be reasonably close), but here is my recipe for the classic Trader Vic’s Navy Grog:

One ounce fresh squeezed lime juice (save half the lime to put into the drink).

Simple syrup to taste (couple of teaspoons at most; I prefer my drink on the sweet-tart side)

Half ounce (or a bit more) each of Light Rum, Hamilton’s or Lemon Hart Demerara Rum, and Myers’s Rum (or other light, Demerara and dark rums)

3/4 ounce of grapefruit juice (optional for you statin users)

1/4 ounce each of Falernum and Allspice Dram (or 1/2 ounce if you only have one of them available). The Bitters&Bottles website and others on Amazon sell these.

Fill a double Old Fashioned glass (Trader Vic’s sells them with their special design) with mostly crushed ice but some small cubes. Pour the cocktail mixture into the glass. If you want, add a float of Myers’s on top (but then stick to 1/2 ounce of the original three rums).

Garnish with a large spring of mint, the squeezed half lime, and a rock candy stick (also available, cheap, on Amazon).

The glass should now be full; if not, add more crushed ice. Wait a couple of minutes for the ice to melt, and make sure to eat something first before imbibing just one. (Reportedly, music legend—and now life convict— Phil Spector drank two of these with no food on the night of his disastrous gun play...)

Cut a plastic straw (Starbucks large straws work) in two, and use half for each drink. Enjoy! (Ideally with homemade Trader Vic’s spare ribs, Crab Rangoon, and Indonesian Lamb Roast with Chutney-filled broiled peach halves, as I am going to do for my upcoming birthday dinner, thanks to my wife....)

They can’t make this drink on board (though perhaps a Rum Punch would be reasonably close), but here is my recipe for the classic Trader Vic’s Navy Grog:

One ounce fresh squeezed lime juice (save half the lime to put into the drink).

Simple syrup to taste (couple of teaspoons at most; I prefer my drink on the sweet-tart side)

Half ounce (or a bit more) each of Light Rum, Hamilton’s or Lemon Hart Demerara Rum, and Myers’s Rum (or other light, Demerara and dark rums)

3/4 ounce of grapefruit juice (optional for you statin users)

1/4 ounce each of Falernum and Allspice Dram (or 1/2 ounce if you only have one of them available). The Bitters&Bottles website and others on Amazon sell these.

Fill a double Old Fashioned glass (Trader Vic’s sells them with their special design) with mostly crushed ice but some small cubes. Pour the cocktail mixture into the glass. If you want, add a float of Myers’s on top (but then stick to 1/2 ounce of the original three rums).

Garnish with a large spring of mint, the squeezed half lime, and a rock candy stick (also available, cheap, on Amazon).

The glass should now be full; if not, add more crushed ice. Wait a couple of minutes for the ice to melt, and make sure to eat something first before imbibing just one. (Reportedly, music legend—and now life convict— Phil Spector drank two of these with no food on the night of his disastrous gun play...)

Cut a plastic straw (Starbucks large straws work) in two, and use half for each drink. Enjoy! (Ideally with homemade Trader Vic’s spare ribs, Crab Rangoon, and Indonesian Lamb Roast with Chutney-filled broiled peach halves, as I am going to do for my upcoming birthday dinner, thanks to my wife....)

That sounds amazingly yummy! We love tropical drinks and I would guess that Regent could get pretty close to the authentic taste. Did not know that Phil Spector has two of these that night. Guess that we need to watch how much we have. When we live in the San Fernando Valley we sometimes drove to Trader Vic's after work - just to have their drinks. There is a new place in the city that we live that has tropical drinks and we plan on trying them sometime this summer.

Apparently we both have birthdays coming up. Love what you will be eating ....... not sure what I'll be having because the food up here doesn't match what you have in Southern California.

slidebite: The lounges have hot and cold d'oeuvres at 6:00 p.m. every evening as well as peanuts.

I doubt Regent ships carry Falernum or Allspice Dram, but a similar Rum Punch is possible,

Sadly, the Trader Vic’s U.S. locations are now down to just two: Emeryville and Atlanta. We have been to the Emeryville location on the marina, and it’s quite good. Otherwise, we have been to Tokyo’s and it is excellent. Munich and London good too. Today, peculiarity enough, most Trader Vic’s are in places like Dubai, Abu Dhabi and Quatar!

Remind me: Is any food available in lounges? Appetizers?

There were mixed nuts available on request anytime in the lounges and appetizers passed by servers before dinner in the Mariner Lounge.