Three Nickles take on the British Isles. And a little bit of France.

bnickle

You guys flew out on the day of the debarkation, right? What time did the transfers get you to the airport? And what time was your flight?
When we did the British isles cruise last year, we had a 2:00 flight from Heathrow. We were scheduled to disembark at 8:40, but they were running 10 minutes or so behind schedule. We still had plenty of time. The coach got us to Heathrow around 10:45. It was an hour and 35 minutes once we left.

Wonderful! Dix Neuf is one of our favourites in St Peter Port. Did you get to sit outside by chance? You can probably imagine how quaint the streets are in the evening once the majority of the shops close and there are few people around and just a cat or two roaming the streets. :)

Castle Cornet is nicely presented. Were you there for the canon firing? Interesting history, like most of the island with German influences from WW2 stacked literally on top of medieval structures. Strange that it was more or less under siege during the English civil war by the very island it was built to protect.

We did not sit outside, but you paint a lovely picture of Geurnsey in the evening.

We did not stay for the cannon. I bet it was really cool.

The layering of history is really what draws us to the UK. The story of a people through the ages is always fascinating, and we never tire of the tapestry (good and bad) of history woven through time.

Rereading Guernsey Literary Society at the moment and loving it more the second time around. Looking forward to seeing Guernsey...

Isn’t it just unexpected? I was so struck at how well the author created such distinct characters, so that by a third of the way through the book you can begin a letter and tell who it is by the voice of the writing. That’s a pretty hard trick to pull off in an epistolary book featuring several different letter writers.

She has gotten used to traveling with Pops so usually uses porters and whatnot. If she decides to fly out on the day of the cruise debarkation, she will more than likely use their transport to get to the airport, and those guys are usually really good in helping her. You guys flew out on the day of the debarkation, right? What time did the transfers get you to the airport? And what time was your flight?

Appreciate the help as always!

Yes, we flew out the day of embarkation. Our flight left Gatwick at 4:10 in the afternoon, and we were in the group called to meet at 6:35 in the morning to board the shuttle. It was a smooth process, but a trip that really should have taken, in good circumstances, an hour to an hour and a half took two and a half hours because the shuttle, which was loaded and set out in a timely manner, hit morning rush hour traffic. It was not at all an issue for us (except the seats for this particular shuttle were incredibly uncomfortable) and we still had mega time to wander about and chill before our flight.

We had a 2:20 flight out of Heathrow and a 7:40 meeting time for our transfer. It took two hours to get there due mostly to heavy traffic, and yes the seats were hard and there were no facilities on the bus. Check in was a line but moved alright and we ended up with a couple hours before our flight. Then onto the nightmare called Atlanta.

We had a 2:20 flight out of Heathrow and a 7:40 meeting time for our transfer. It took two hours to get there due mostly to heavy traffic, and yes the seats were hard and there were no facilities on the bus. Check in was a line but moved alright and we ended up with a couple hours before our flight. Then onto the nightmare called Atlanta.

Do you remember what time the bus actually left?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Do you remember what time the bus actually left?

As for us, our meeting time was 6:35, and they called us pretty promptly, and the bus will filled and pulling out of the port by 7:10ish.

We were on this same cruise. We also met Diane and Otis...great people! We purchased our airline tickets through Princess and traveled economy round trip on United Airlines beginning in Chicago and ending in Heathrow. On the flight over I caught a cold/virus which effected our entire vacation. My husband eventually caught it from me. He still has it! I loved this cruise, ports and our 4 independent days in London, but I don't know if I can fly 8 hours in cramped circumstances like we did ever again. I will need to learn of alternative flight before traveling this length of time. I loved your review and sympathize with your knees. Mine knees would ache at night from all the walking. You need to be in great shape to do this itinerary. We did see a few shows in the evening and they were EXCELLENT! Thanks again for jogging my memory because I did not journal every evening!

We were on this same cruise. We also met Diane and Otis...great people! We purchased our airline tickets through Princess and traveled economy round trip on United Airlines beginning in Chicago and ending in Heathrow. On the flight over I caught a cold/virus which effected our entire vacation. My husband eventually caught it from me. He still has it! I loved this cruise, ports and our 4 independent days in London, but I don't know if I can fly 8 hours in cramped circumstances like we did ever again. I will need to learn of alternative flight before traveling this length of time. I loved your review and sympathize with your knees. Mine knees would ache at night from all the walking. You need to be in great shape to do this itinerary. We did see a few shows in the evening and they were EXCELLENT! Thanks again for jogging my memory because I did not journal every evening!

We flew an economy airline, but got what basically were business class seats and it made a huge difference. Update on my knee...having incredibly minor, quick, in and out arthroscopic done on my knee this Thursday, because...I’m just done dealing with it.

So glad you had a good time! What all did you do in London?

We did an incredible 3 hour tour of West Minister Abby. The guide was excellent, and we missed the internment of Stephan Hawking's remains by a few days. Of course we did the Hop Off and Hop On bus with tickets to the Tower of London. We took in some free museums and walked at least three to four miles a day! I lived on Advil. So glad you are getting some relief for your knees. This was our first time to the British Isles and we loved it. Clean restrooms and such good humor from everyone we met!

We did an incredible 3 hour tour of West Minister Abby. The guide was excellent, and we missed the internment of Stephan Hawking's remains by a few days. Of course we did the Hop Off and Hop On bus with tickets to the Tower of London. We took in some free museums and walked at least three to four miles a day! I lived on Advil. So glad you are getting some relief for your knees. This was our first time to the British Isles and we loved it. Clean restrooms and such good humor from everyone we met!

I love that so many of the museums in England are free, or accessible with passes. And yes, you get your steps in when visiting. We have had nothing but good experiences with the people we met in our travels there.

Westminster Abbey is the first thing we tell people they need to see when they ask us about touring London. It is so well set up, and the audio tour is perfect. Did you get to see the new gallery up in the renovated attic space?

On September 9, 2015, we had just finished our tour of Westminster Abbey and had stepped outside, and the bells began ringing. It was an odd time, not on an hour, half hour, or quarter of an hour, just a seemingly random time. They rang and rang and rang, and finally we asked a Warden there why they were ringing and he said, and I think there were tears in his eyes, that it was the moment Elizabeth became the longest reigning monarch. It was moving and unexpected that we should experience that moment in that way, and it firmly lodged Westminster Abbey as a favorite place to visit, and a favorite memory.

I love that so many of the museums in England are free, or accessible with passes. And yes, you get your steps in when visiting. We have had nothing but good experiences with the people we met in our travels there.

Westminster Abbey is the first thing we tell people they need to see when they ask us about touring London. It is so well set up, and the audio tour is perfect. Did you get to see the new gallery up in the renovated attic space?

On September 9, 2015, we had just finished our tour of Westminster Abbey and had stepped outside, and the bells began ringing. It was an odd time, not on an hour, half hour, or quarter of an hour, just a seemingly random time. They rang and rang and rang, and finally we asked a Warden there why they were ringing and he said, and I think there were tears in his eyes, that it was the moment Elizabeth became the longest reigning monarch. It was moving and unexpected that we should experience that moment in that way, and it firmly lodged Westminster Abbey as a favorite place to visit, and a favorite memory.

What great good fortune you had!

I can’t imagine being able to share such a moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We did not sit outside, but you paint a lovely picture of Geurnsey in the evening.

We did not stay for the cannon. I bet it was really cool.

The layering of history is really what draws us to the UK. The story of a people through the ages is always fascinating, and we never tire of the tapestry (good and bad) of history woven through time.

Here is a shot from the outside seating at Dix Neuf.

IMG_2241.jpg

And one looking back towards Dix Neuf.

DSC08949.jpg

If you ever wondered what town is like after the cruise ship pulls out, that one just above and the ones at these links were taken on a Sunday once the ship was gone, and after the shops had all but closed. I was apparently in a black & white mood that day :)

https://postimg.cc/image/kptrwt2nj/

https://postimg.cc/image/cx344su3j/

https://postimg.cc/image/4229uasgf/

https://postimg.cc/image/3pavo4hwf/

https://postimg.cc/image/54cgcu3jz/

Here is a shot from the outside seating at Dix Neuf.

IMG_2241.jpg

And one looking back towards Dix Neuf.

DSC08949.jpg

If you ever wondered what town is like after the cruise ship pulls out, that one just above and the ones at these links were taken on a Sunday once the ship was gone, and after the shops had all but closed. I was apparently in a black & white mood that day :)

https://postimg.cc/image/kptrwt2nj/

https://postimg.cc/image/cx344su3j/

https://postimg.cc/image/4229uasgf/

https://postimg.cc/image/3pavo4hwf/

https://postimg.cc/image/54cgcu3jz/

Those are beautiful and so atmospheric.

Hi Brickle,

Any chance you can tell me when you guys were cruising from Guernsey to Cobh, did you actually see the cliffs of Kinsale on your way in? We want to check out the town of Kinsale to see the cliffs, but it seems the tour doesn't see the cliffs, just the town.

Hi Brickle,

Any chance you can tell me when you guys were cruising from Guernsey to Cobh, did you actually see the cliffs of Kinsale on your way in? We want to check out the town of Kinsale to see the cliffs, but it seems the tour doesn't see the cliffs, just the town.

I am so sorry but we did not pay attention to the sail in that morning. I wish we had, and not sure what we had going on, but we didn’t look to see if the cliffs were visible.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you so much for this thoroughly entertaining, informative review! Just loved reading every post. I truly hope to talk DH into a British Isles cruise one of these days (we have only been to the Caribbean...and Alaska - which was amazing!) This review and pictures have been truly inspiring.

Thank you so much for this thoroughly entertaining' date=' informative review! Just loved reading every post. I truly hope to talk DH into a British Isles cruise one of these days (we have only been to the Caribbean...and Alaska - which was amazing!) This review and pictures have been truly inspiring.[/quote']

It was truly fun and a dream trip, but be warned: port heavy and exhausting (but in a good way). It was really lovely.

• 1 month later...

Thank you so very much for this informative and entertaining read! I love your sense of humour and great attitude. I always feel so blessed to be able to travel, that there isn't much that gets me upset!

I am very excited to visit Guernsey after having read the Potato Peel Pie Society book for book club (and should probably go back and reread that lovely story before our May trip).

We aren't big fans of sea days, but on a port intensive cruise, they can be a God-send. I really appreciate all the port information and will have to get my notes organized to begin my planning.

Thanks again, and oh yes: I love the Groucho Marx quote in your signature!