Queen Mary: Painted Funnel Reveal

bluemarble

I just noticed this story posted yesterday on the NBC Los Angeles website about the renovated paint scheme on the aft funnel of the original Queen Mary in Long Beach.

Queen Mary: Painted Funnel Reveal

I guess I wasn't aware this repainting project was going on and I figured it might be of some interest on this forum. Nice to see this maintenance effort even in light of reports earlier this year of more serious maintenance and structural issues with the Queen Mary such as those that were discussed here this past March on the "Queen Mary in difficulty" thread.

Regards, John

Edited by bluemarble

Guest SilverHengroen

Looks much fresher, and actually the right colour this time! Any news on the hull maintenance works that were meant to be commencing this year?

Looks much fresher, and actually the right colour this time! Any news on the hull maintenance works that were meant to be commencing this year?

Here's an article in the Long Beach Grunion Gazette from August I just found that discusses some of the other work that has been going on since the marine survey that came out last March. It also appears to offer a somewhat different view on the condition of the hull and the extent of the maintenance effort required.

Work To Restore Long Beach's Queen Mary To Glory Labor Of Love For Man In Charge

Regards, John

While you can visit and stay of the Queen Mary anytime, the annual Art Deco Festival is a great time to go and see the ship. Held in August, the Fri-Sun event includes dances, cocktail parties, a vintage pajama party in the cocktail lounge, a formal dinner-dance and two days of lectures. There are also behinds-the-scene tours of the ship. Stay of ship if you want, dress-up in vintage clothing (or vintage look new outfits,) or just people watch.

The following is a link to the 2017 event. Info for 2018 is not yet published.

https://www.facebook.com/events/1915112695402451/

Guest SilverHengroen
Here's an article in the Long Beach Grunion Gazette from August I just found that discusses some of the other work that has been going on since the marine survey that came out last March. It also appears to offer a somewhat different view on the condition of the hull and the extent of the maintenance effort required.

Work To Restore Long Beach's Queen Mary To Glory Labor Of Love For Man In Charge

Regards, John

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing! When I looked into what the reported structural problems were after the reports were done I remember hearing that the bigger problem than rusting shell plating or the removed girders was the hogging caused by the removal of the engines - essentially as the pointy ends of the ship are less buoyant than the centre, the structure is put under tension as the bow and stern want to sag down under their own weight now that the ship is sitting significantly higher in the water than she was designed to.

Guest SilverHengroen
Did ypou know a FYI:

The QM2 was painted wrong before the last refurb?

Yes I believe the funnel was boot-topping red rather than Cunard red - early photos of her with QE2 show the difference quite markedly!

• 5 months later...

Hi,

Thanks for the update on the Queen Mary. I will be spending one night on the Queen Mary in early May prior to a cruise on the Emerald Princess. I most recently stayed aboard the Queen Mary in January 2017. At that time, the exterior of the ship desperately needed to be painted and Sir Winston's was closed due to water damage. I am looking forward to seeing the ship with its freshly painted exterior. Also, I am planning to have dinner at Sir Winston's. Of course, I always bring my deluxe Queen Mary deck plans whenever I visit the ship. :)

Chuck

Here's an article from yesterday in the Long Beach Grunion Gazette that may be of some interest in that it provides an update on the current state of the Queen Mary renovation efforts.

Queen Mary's Major Repairs Behind Schedule, Over Budget

thanks for the link...

Interesting article and possibly a prediction for the QE2 in years to come. Ships are living things and thrive on being at sea and moving, although I enjoyed my time on the QM in 2016 it was sad to see her sitting so forlorn and scruffy, I can't see any company in their right mind spending those sort of figures to keep her above water.

Now all they need to do is to open up the many major public rooms*, that are currently closed-off and locked, both to their own tours, and also to casual visitors.

Far too many of the grand spaces on board (ie almost all), that visitors will want to see, are locked and closed :mad: .

(*such as the 1st Class Lounge, 1st Class dining room, 1st Class smoking room, 2nd Class lounge, Verandah Restaurant, the Bridge, 1st Class pool (awaiting restoration), Forward Deck areas, etc.. etc...)