Must see in Roatan?

cruisee<3

We did a Bodden tour last January. We drove around to all the high points for the good views (great pictures); we went to Bodden's to play with the monkeys and the anteater (I love Zuzu); we drove through the fancy district and the poorer areas; we went to the beach (Joseph took us to the Mayan Princess resort- for $10 each we had access to the resort- beach with lounger and a fantastic pool-about 5 pools all linked together with waterfalls and bridges. There was a restaurant.); he took us shopping- could have lived without that store- seemed irked that we didn't want to buy huge wooden chests- the size of blanket chests- beautiful, but not something I usually buy on a whim- nice cocktail tables too, but my home is already furnished. We didn't see the shipwrecks although we had listed that on-line. Joseph was nice, but I wouldn't go out of my way to use him again. We had a nice day and felt totally safe at all times. We saw some people doing the zipline at Boddens- a little one, not like some we've seen, but not for us anyway. You'll have a great time.;)

Well, I won't correct your grammar and not offer anything helpful. What type of things do you like to do? Roatan is a laid back island and not overly developed like some of the Caribbean Islands.

Here is what we do on our tour with Tex: (We just wanted to see the islands and have a nice lunch) The person I was traveling with wasn't a beach or water activity person and also had trouble walking any distance in the Caribbean heat. We docked in Coxen Hole. When we cruised, Mahagony Bay wasn't open. Tex drove us through the town of Coxen Hole and we also stopped at a small catholic church. From there he took us to the other side of the island to many look out points. These included a couple of ship wrecks, a place that had a small flea market and wonderful views of the ocean, and to a place that had an empty house overlooking a bay. We dreamed we would come back and buy that house! From there we went to see the Governor's mansion. We then stopped by a dive resort where his brother worked. Just a short visit. It was incredibly beautiful there. Then we went to Tex' house as he had to pick up some things. We met his two dogs and went out of the pier that is in front of his house and looked at the beautiful view. From there he took us for a ride right on the beach. Keep in mind, this is on the side of the island where there are no resorts or tourist areas. It was all residential. Great fun to ride on the beach. Then on to West Bay where there are some shops. We ate at the West Bay Beach Resort. It was great. We sat on the patio and actually had sprays of water from the ocean hitting our feet. We had two lobster tails, baked potato, and salad for $20. They also had wonderful Pina Coladas. From there we briefly saw the resort and beach area. Very beautiful. Then we went through a neighborhood where, apparently, alot of Americans are buying houses and then from there to the Cameo Factory. The Cameo Factory was my least favorite thing to do there.

We didn't do these things but you can have your tour guide book a snorkeling trip for you, go on a glass bottom boat tour, go to a resort and rent loungers and umbrellas, etc. Also, there is ziplining and Victor Bodden has a zoo of sorts at his house.

Again, keep in mind, Roatan is not overly developed which is why we loved it so much.

Whatever you do, have a wonderful time in Roatan. It is now one of my favorite ports.

Archived