Brooklyn Port area hotels suggestions

dschae1

I'm shopping for a hotel. Currently, the Hotel Le Bleu is at the top of my list.

Appreciate any suggestions of places you've stayed and been happy with. Bonus for safe walking distance to a few dinner restaurant choices nearby, otherwise we will Uber/taxi somewhere.

1) dates: 1 night, Friday September 29th

2) # of people: 2 (Wife and I)

3) budget: $250ish, pre-tax.

4) airport you are flying into - date and arrival time: LGA, same date, 5pm arrival if on time. Uber/Lyft to hotel

5) sightseeing plans in New York: none really, only dinner for that night.

6) Ship you are sailing on: Regal Princess

Thanks!

Looks like you've done a lot of research. I don't know anything about Hotel Bleu, but it does appear to be in a mixed industrial area (can be offputting if you're not used to urban areas) and the bathroom setup lacks privacy.

Did you consider staying in lower Manhattan? On Hotwire I'm seeing the Holiday Inn Express and 2 Club Quarters hotels for just under $200/night. These are hotels that cater to business travelers during the week and often have really good rates on the weekend. I know you have no sightseeing plans, but you would be staying in an area with options. One of the Club Quarters is near the World Trade Center area, so just walking around the 911 Memorial or going up the Freedom Tower would be possible. There are restaurant choices including the South Street Seaport. You could even take the free ride on the Staten Island ferry to see the harbor at night.

Lower Manhattan should be a quick ride to the port on a Sat morning.

My employer utilized Club Quarters (I'm now retired). I've stayed at 6 different ones, though not the one on Wall Street. They often have *very* good weekend rates, as pointed out. I had to call to ask for a weekend rate (they're not published on the CQ site), but those weekend rates may be what's available on Hotwire and Trip Advisor. CQ rooms are on the small side, but comfortable and I like the shared living room in the lobby.

Since it's only a 10 minute walk to the Red Hook ferry at pier 11, I appreciate the reminder about the CQ. I'll use it for any pre- or post - trip QM2 trips.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Forums mobile app

Holiday Inn Express is about 7 - 10 blocks north, on Union Street just off 4th Avenue, subway station below ground and more in the heart of Park Slope, less industrial and more residential, with lot more local & nicer restaurant all along 5th Avenue. Area is safe & fine to walk & stroll in the evening. Good as a place to sleep & rest overnight before a cruise and not sightseeing as OP is landing at LGA on Friday evening & not going to reach the hotel till 7 PM or later with rush hour traffic. Plus saved on tolls going into downtown and again to Red Hook. Check those TripAdvisor review & 360 Earth view on Google Maps. Rates are lower than Le Bieu, near a Staple & not much around their corners.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

Holiday Inn is a great suggestion as is the reminder about the Red Hook ferry for $2.75/pp. The OP is from Plano TX near Dallas, so they might enjoy a glimpse of Downtown NY, however brief, as well as a unique arrival at Red Hook by ferry (think of the pictures of "their ship" that could be taken from the water).

Lots of choices and opportunities to add some unique experiences to the usually mundane process of traveling to a basically boring embarkation port like Brooklyn. I wish I could take a ferry to Cape Liberty!

Holiday Inn Express is about 7 - 10 blocks north, on Union Street just off 4th Avenue, subway station below ground and more in the heart of Park Slope, less industrial and more residential, with lot more local & nicer restaurant all along 5th Avenue. Area is safe & fine to walk & stroll in the evening. Good as a place to sleep & rest overnight before a cruise and not sightseeing as OP is landing at LGA on Friday evening & not going to reach the hotel till 7 PM or later with rush hour traffic. Plus saved on tolls going into downtown and again to Red Hook. Check those TripAdvisor review & 360 Earth view on Google Maps. Rates are lower than Le Bieu, near a Staple & not much around their corners.

via Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.1.2 using Tapatalk, VPN secured.

I live in the neighborhood and also feel the Holiday Inn Express is a better location. Lots of restaurants one block up on 5th Ave.

I frequently walk past the Club Quarters Wall Street hotel (actually located on William Street, around the corner from Wall Street) mentioned by frankp01 and 138east. The location in the heart of the financial district in Lower Manhattan is super convenient -- a 10-minute walk (if that) to the ferry to Red Hook, and a similar distance to the World Trade Center, the Oculus, Trinity Church, South Street Seaport, etc. At the price quoted by 138east, I'd strongly consider it.

Wall St area is great, also Frances tavern where George Washington gave farewell address can get drinks and food there, Stone st in same area has dozens of pubs on both side of the street and block is blocked off with picnic tables in middle of street , also if you want a excellent but very costly dinner Delmonico's one of the oldest and most famous restaurants in the USA is there, was there in June

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks to all the helpful replies to my original post. Last weekend, I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Manhattan. After careful review, weather permitting, we will be riding that NYC Ferry from Pier 11 to the Red Hook stop in Brooklyn, right next to the cruise port building. What a great way to get to the cruise port! If weather is not good for the three block walk from the hotel to the pier, then we will Uber/Lyft to the port.

When the cruise returns on Saturday, we are planning on spending another night in Manhattan, staying at the Millennium Hilton NY Downtown, and will spend all day Saturday exploring the 911 memorial site and museum. This hotel is right across the street from 9/11 ground zero.

Thoughts on the Sheraton Brooklyn? Any hotels provide shuttle transportation to the port?

Cruisers have stayed at the Sheraton in the past and have recommended it. I think it tends to be pricey which is why it's not discussed more often.

No shuttles to the Brooklyn Cruiseport. I think Comfort Inn has discontinued their service.

Many thanks to all the helpful replies to my original post. Last weekend, I booked the Holiday Inn Express in Manhattan. After careful review, weather permitting, we will be riding that NYC Ferry from Pier 11 to the Red Hook stop in Brooklyn, right next to the cruise port building. What a great way to get to the cruise port! If weather is not good for the three block walk from the hotel to the pier, then we will Uber/Lyft to the port.

When the cruise returns on Saturday, we are planning on spending another night in Manhattan, staying at the Millennium Hilton NY Downtown, and will spend all day Saturday exploring the 911 memorial site and museum. This hotel is right across the street from 9/11 ground zero.

Sounds like you have a plan!

I would pre-book 911 museum online now, elevator ride is very interesting but I would make sure its a clear day, no need to pre-book that

Thoughts on the Sheraton Brooklyn? ... transportation to the port?
In addition to 138east/Carol's reply, question is which airport are you flying into and how do you plan to get to the Sheraton ? A local car service or citywide ones like Dial7 or Carmel would be your best option to Red Hook piers, hotels in the area do not offer any comp'd transportation to/from the pier - fare & tipping should be less than $20 all inclusive, maybe $15 (and, no tolls)

It's cheaper to stay there on a weekday than on weekend with all the cruise pax booking - there are other hotels in the area, with better access to local restaurants & cafe, etc. in the evening. This place is just off the busy Flatbush Avenue extension, about 3 blocks from Junior's (famous for its cheesecake) and the Fulton Street shopping mall & stores, but otherwise really in the downtown business/commercial area ... re-developed in the past decade into modern hi-rises (high rent). It can be somewhat deserted after 9 to 10 PM as shops will be closed - it is close in walking distance to multiple subway lines at different stations.

Depends on what you are looking for & important, using points to book a stay or brand-loyal, etc.

• 1 month later...