Giardini Naxos & Ravenna on Azamara

Grandma Cruising

In July we will be on the Quest on a Rome to Venice Cruise.

Two of the ports are Giardini Naxos in Sicily and Ravenna in Italy.

Can anyone tell me if Azamara offer shuttle buses in these two ports and if so where they drop you off?

Any other information about these ports would be helpful. We want to visit Taormina in Sicily, and see the mosaics in Ravenna.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Azamara used to provide shuttle busses in Giardini Naxos but thanks to the local taxi union that stopped years ago. As you can imagine there will be plenty of taxis awaiting your business, unfortunately can’t remember what the cost is but we shared with friends which made it reasonable, there will be a Taormina on your own option with Azamara no doubt or others have posted in the past that it can be done with local busses.

Last time we were in Ravenna with Azamara was 2011 but a shuttle was provided into the centre of town, from memory it was a fairly long ride.

Loads of taxi's just outside the port gates in Giardini Naxos. Some of them are people carrier's that take 8 people. Cost about two years ago for a return journey was about 12-15 euro's pp. You can book your return journey with the taxi driver on the journey up to Taormina.

I really love it there. A drink on The Hotel Metropole Terrace overlooking the Bay and of course the ship is a lovely way to relax for an hour.

Thanks for the information. I guess it’s either taxi or the local bus in Giardini Naxos, then. I hope the shuttle bus is still going into Ravenna, that would be great.

Riocca is correct, the ride into Ravenna is very long and a shuttle bus was provided when we were there. Sure it will be the same for your cruise because there were no taxis at the port and if there were it would be an extremely expensive fare.

Ravenna is pleasant enough to wander around for an hour or so but apart from the mosaics there is little of additional interest IMO.

In July we will be on the Quest on a Rome to Venice Cruise.

Two of the ports are Giardini Naxos in Sicily and Ravenna in Italy.

Can anyone tell me if Azamara offer shuttle buses in these two ports and if so where they drop you off?

Any other information about these ports would be helpful. We want to visit Taormina in Sicily, and see the mosaics in Ravenna.

I love Taormina and have wandered the streets and shops, many places for lunch, my memory makes me think the taxi was closer to 20 Euros per taxi. Enjoy that port

If hubby (or you!) is into cars then a trip out to the Ferrari Museum at Marinello from Ravenna is a must. The mosaics in Ravenna itself are spectacular too.

Do a bit of research on the travel to Taormina I didn't find a wealth of taxis when I have been there.

Phil

I agree Phil, I did the Ferrari museum tour while Rose, Liz and Malc did Ravenna when we were last there on Az. If you’re a car buff, the Ferrari museum is a must.

Our last time in Ravenna was in 2009 on Quest, so my info is probably out of date, but your question brought back some nice memories. Yes, it was a fairly long shuttle ride, provided by Azamara...we were docked at an ugly container port. Maybe that has changed, though.

We thoroughly enjoyed the mosaics on our own with Rick Steves' book to guide us. Also, since it was our only Italian port, we wanted to enjoy a meal. We had a lovely lunch with impeccable service at La Gardela. I believe it was in the older section and not hard to find (also a Rick Steves recommendation, at the time). From there we enjoyed the old piazzas and a large market. I also worked in a little shopping and purchased some beautiful table linens. I recall it as a nice, relaxing day, during a trip heavy on long tiring days of sightseeing. Enjoy!

I have never had a problem with taxis. You do wait in line with about 100 guests. But the drivers all know we are there and they keep coming. On the return I went to the taxi stand and went bs k with other guests

We thought about the Ferrari museum, but it looks a very long day and tours there seem pricey.

If you are into cars this is a none issue. We went on a Sunday when the concessionaires there will let you out in a Ferrari for a test drive. In a California with little on the road was pretty memorable. But to appreciate it you have to be a total car nut like me!

Phil

The local bus from Giardini Naxos to/from Taormina is an experience not to miss. Cheap and cheerful. You can use euro to buy your return tickets from the driver. The bus stop is a short walk to the right after getting off the tender. The "bus station" is a little longer walk into Taormina proper, maybe 10 minutes, but nothing strenuous or dangerous.

• Like 1

Does sound good, but we’re not that into cars. If our 11 year old grandson was coming with us, that would be a different issue - he loves cars and can identify any car he sees at a good distance, the sportier the better.

This is the one I bought after a test drive! Haha

Phil6410640056b360933814fc39d99c01ed.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

[Ravenna is an interesting port. You can contact the ravenna Chamber of Commerce and they will mail you a "guidebook" of Ravenna walks including a Mosiac Trail. Spouse also like the chocolate shops. Azamara used to drop you off near city hall by the Garabaldi statute.

Enjoy your cruise.

Sfl

• 1 year later...