Several PG questions

AtMaui

I'm on the 10/3/09 cruise on the PG. I was just reviewing my itinerary and the 11:30P Air Tahiti Nui flight back to LAX says no meal service. Is this correct? Not even coffee in the morning? And we're in business class.

On my last two PG cruises a tour of Tahiti was offered prior to going to our day room on our last day. I didn't take advantage of it but would like to do so this time, however, I don't see it listed.

Also, someone wrote a review and said they got off the ship in the morning, went to the market, got back on the ship for lunch, and then took the transer to the day room. On my last cruise we were taken to the day room (at the Intercontinental at that time) right away if we didn't take the free tour. So I guess things have changed?

Needless to say, I'm getting very excited about it. Only 4 more weeks!!! Already thinking of what clothes to pack!

There'll be a meal service, our flight back last December was ATN Biz class, and they served dinner and breakfast. Not the great food, but not terrible.

The thing that's changed is that you can stay on the ship for lunch, then do the tour, then go to the dayroom, etc. So you have plenty of time in the morning to go to the Marche and then back. We did this and had a full morning, and I bought my new favourite pareo. Then we did the tour (didn't really want to but a first-timer friend was with us.)

The tour is a bit shorter than it used to be, as a consequence. I've done it at least 3 times so I'm not the best to comment. If you're into history or anthropology the museum of the islands is definitely worth it. Seeing the island is interesting, but if there's a next time, I go straight to the Radisson and the pool!

On the ship you'll be given a form asking whether you want to do the tour (no exra charge) or go right to the dayroom. If you do not turn in the form, you'll automatically be routed for the tour. You'll be assigned a time for disembarkation depending on what you indicate. In our case, taking the tour and going to the Radisson (a few others got off the bus at the Intercontinental) and leaving on the 11:30pm ATN flight, we were assigned the noon group to disembark. Given that, you should have plenty of time in the morning before disembarking to visit the market if you like--we went for an hour or so and came back in time for brunch before our group was called. The tour itself is 2.5 hrs long on a coach bus; you will see a restored Papeete marae and visit the museum. I was personally "toured out" at that point but if you already know what to expect from the dayroom/hotel and are not exhausted and want to experience the museum etc. then it's certainly worthwhile. Unfortunately, you have to decide this several days out from disembarking so if you change your mind, you're stuck either way. Just a word of warning.

When we went in July, ATN was most certainly providing meals on the return flight--"dinner" at around 1am (yeah, right) by the time they actually come around, and then breakfast a few hours later.

I'm on the 10/3/09 cruise on the PG. I was just reviewing my itinerary and the 11:30P Air Tahiti Nui flight back to LAX says no meal service. Is this correct? Not even coffee in the morning? And we're in business class.

On my last two PG cruises a tour of Tahiti was offered prior to going to our day room on our last day. I didn't take advantage of it but would like to do so this time, however, I don't see it listed.

Also, someone wrote a review and said they got off the ship in the morning, went to the market, got back on the ship for lunch, and then took the transer to the day room. On my last cruise we were taken to the day room (at the Intercontinental at that time) right away if we didn't take the free tour. So I guess things have changed?

Needless to say, I'm getting very excited about it. Only 4 more weeks!!! Already thinking of what clothes to pack!

Just another thought. . . . . if you have been to Papeete before, why not leave the night you arrive (rathe rthan the next morning and go through the tour/day-room thing?) Yes, you miss the over-night onboard, but you still get dinner, and transport to the airport and then home. Just a thought.

Lots of people seem to like this approach (leaving early). But you miss a whole day in paradise, so I'd never dream of doing it. The things you miss: the evening performance on the ship (Polynesian dancers); shopping opportunity in Le Marche on Saturday morning; a couple of nice hours by the pool at the Radisson; breakfast and lunch; optional tour. And depending on the time of the flight, you might miss dinner too.

The better option, and I've never done this, would be to get off in Moorea the afternoon before, and stay a few days! Yes, you would miss all of the above, but in this case it would definitely be worth it!

Thanks for the answers to all my questions I like the idea of now staying on the ship and going to the market in the morning, We may decide to skip the tour and just go to the Radisson. On my last trip we left the night before because we couldn't get business class the next day but I was sorry we missed the last night and day.

One more question - is dinner included at the hotel or are you on your own? Well I guess it's actually 2 questions - anyone been to Belvedere for dinner? I was there on my first trip and the view was spectular. So-so food tho.

I also like being kicked off the PG, rather than volutarily leaving early. I didn't think the tour was all that great so the last three times we went straight to the hotel to veg out before the painful airport and trip home experience. Never had any food included at the hotel on any of our four trips. Be prepared to pay a stiff price for mediocre food and "island service".

anyone been to Belvedere for dinner? I was there on my first trip and the view was spectular. So-so food tho.

Dead on assessment of the Belvedere. Toss in the pretty scary trip up the mountain in their van :rolleyes:. Anyone considering it needs to get the seating before sunset. View isn't quite so stunning after dark.

No dinner at the hotel. But remember, you have to check out about 5:30 or so and the buses start filling up about 6 I think (this may be a bit later if you're on the later 11:30 flight.) We had a snack about 4, just nibblies (and yes, everything is very expensive and service is very slow.)

In fact, I recommend getting your own taxi and being at the airport a bit early. Check-in does not open until, uh, 3 hours previous (can someone confirm that?) And even with Business, you will find yourself standing in line for an inordinate amount of time. The Biz lounge is just okay, not great, not terrible, certainly better than the alternative, considering that the airport as a whole is not air conditioned.

No dinner at the hotel. But remember, you have to check out about 5:30 or so and the buses start filling up about 6 I think (this may be a bit later if you're on the later 11:30 flight.) We had a snack about 4, just nibblies (and yes, everything is very expensive and service is very slow.)

In fact, I recommend getting your own taxi and being at the airport a bit early. Check-in does not open until, uh, 3 hours previous (can someone confirm that?) And even with Business, you will find yourself standing in line for an inordinate amount of time. The Biz lounge is just okay, not great, not terrible, certainly better than the alternative, considering that the airport as a whole is not air conditioned.

What about checking out at hotel but still stay there, and take a late taxi and arrive at airport just in time after the long queue is checked in, so don't suffer too much from the ordeal ? I will be there in Feb. 2010, suppose will be very hot down there.

As others have stated, dinner is not included as part of the package on the last day. Consider lunch aboard your last meal gratis.

Buses to the airport began to load at 6:30 from the Radisson. I was on the second bus and there was quite a line already. Others who decied to take a cab to the airport in an effort to get an extra hour at the beach or hotel were not happy to see the long line. There is a definite uncomfortable feeling about the way transport from the hotel to airport is handled. I'm not looking forward to it again and may take the advice here and take the taxi earlier. Once in the airport, for me, was not all that terrible.

Dealing with arrival and departure at Fa'aa is definitely the worst part of going to FP, by far.

Not sure about late check-in. I would worry that other flights might conflict and you might end up in a line anyways. Although tourism is down, there are still other flights departing, and most of them seem to do so in the late evening.

You know on our last day we went to the market and then had lunch on the PG. At lunch the waiters were handing out tin foil to wrap sandwiches up in for the hotel. Everyone was doing it and a lot of people just grabbed the beer or sodas out of their room fridges. It was nice not having to buy dinner at the hotel and we just had a nice little picnic.

We have flown business twice out of papeete and we have never had to stand in line. If you are flying coach, I would take a cab right before the buses leave. The buses are kind of a nightmare.

Reading all these horror stories about what happens after you leave the PG prompts this Question :

We are doing a two-day PostCruise stay at the Intercontinental arranged thru PG Cruises. Has anyone experienced this variation and is it any better / worse than departing with the bulk of the other PG passengers on the evening of the last cruise day ?

We will be Ambassador Level if that matters.

Thanks in advance.:)

Your departure to the hotel will be pleasant and seamless. And lots of people love that hotel. Your departure by air two days later may or may not be better or worse, depending on the number of flights, and the number of people departing that day--if I had to guess, I would say it will be somewhat more pleasant.

It has been a number of years since I went through Fiji going to and from the Solomon Islands. The facility was clearly superior to PPT. We will be coming back from there on 11/22 after a 3 week B2B on PG - I hope my recollections are accurate!

Hrprof, I hope that you are right. We will also be coming back on the 22nd. Only 2 of us are partaking in the roll call for nov 7th. You might want to join in. Not that we are to active right now, but I certainly will need some help in deciding on a few excursions.

We are doing a B2B with the Fiji itin following the 7 day Society Island cruise beginning on 10/31 - will be doing a pre-cruise on Moorea. I haven't keyed into the roll call for either - will have to do this. Have you done PG before?

I followed up and clocked in on the roll call - strange that there is so little activity. I have asked our TA to check and inquire about large group bookings. Travel is an important part of our lives, but cruising is not central (yet!). But, we have been on all Regent ships, past and present. Even though PG is very different from the others, I don't think you will be disappointed.

Archived