What are they drinking/thinking/smoking?

BruceMuzz

I just had a very nice but extremely upset passenger visiting me in my office with a very serious complaint.

It seems that every time he uses the toilet in his cabin, it smells of urine.

But as soon as he flushes the toilet, the urine smell disappears.

He insists on having the problem fixed immediately - and of course is demanding compensation.

Other than refusing to give him any more liquids for the remainder of the cruise, does anyone have a solution or explanation that will not make him sound like the village idiot?

Well many people when having a change in diet (ie more alcohol, more protein, etc) will exeperience a stronger odor than they may be used too.. but I think that giving him that argument isn't going to help things because they were actually stupid enough to make the complaint to begin with.

Off Topic:

BruceMuzz - Thank you for your insights on cruising and your behind the scenes information. Your comments give me a lot of laughs and a a much better feeling for what goes on behind the glitz and glamor. I often read you comments and share them with my husband.

Things that I have read that stand out:

How tipping works and why tipping is important to insuring that the staff gets compensated for what they do. Tips given in cash have to be pooled.

Most workers on a ship do not drink to excess and if they did they would probably not have their job very long.

Why ships do not attempt to replicate local food.

and on and on.

My husband and I will be going on our first cruise in December out of Galveston, with hopefully more cruises in the future.

DW says I should drink at leat 2 liters of fluid a day.

After my second beer (one liter) she says I've had enough.:rolleyes:

Don't think I will ever understand women!:confused:

Ron

Trying to be serious about this, I suggest you talk to the ship's Dr. as there are kidney issues that 'could' be involved. Maybe suggesting he do something as simple as drinking more water could reduce the concentration (and aroma ;) ).

Put an air freshener in the bathroom and tell him that will take care of the problem, as long as he flushes the toilet after each use.

Sounds as if he has "issues" that you're certainly not going to solve!

The people suggesting that he drink more water are probably closest to the mark. And alcohol doesn't count- it's dehydrating. If he's out in the sun a lot (sweating) and drinking less water than he should and more alcohol than usual, his urine may be more concentrated. Hence the noticeable smell. And is it possible that ship's toilets are smaller and use less water so it's more obvious?

I'm not sure the biological reasons why his urine may be odiferous is the problem. :rolleyes: I submit he has deeper problem than stinkly urine. :D When was the last time you discussed such an issue with a senior ship's officer? Groan.......

Bruce, you could refer him to a product such as this one if he continues to experience strong odors. Perhaps telling him 'that not everyone is as sensitive to odors in such a confined space, but some are' will make him feel it is more a function of the room and his extra sensitive nose than something defective in the plumbing. Or elsewhere.

http://justadrop.net/

DW says I should drink at leat 2 liters of fluid a day.

After my second beer (one liter) she says I've had enough.:rolleyes:

Don't think I will ever understand women!:confused:

Ron

I usually pee in the pools to avoid this issue :p LMAO

I've had a long day and you guys are really making my day now. :D

I just had a very nice but extremely upset passenger visiting me in my office with a very serious complaint.

It seems that every time he uses the toilet in his cabin, it smells of urine.

But as soon as he flushes the toilet, the urine smell disappears.

He insists on having the problem fixed immediately - and of course is demanding compensation.

Other than refusing to give him any more liquids for the remainder of the cruise, does anyone have a solution or explanation that will not make him sound like the village idiot?

Are ya kidding me?! LOL

Ask him, with a straight face, if it smells prior to or after he's done the deed.

Maybe his lightbulb will go on.

The complainer may be accustomed to flushing when starting to pee, to get it away from his/her oversensitive nose more quickly. (I've actually heard of people doing this.) Of course a cruise ship toilet flushes much too quickly for this.

Archived