Thinking of a crossing from New York to Southampton August 2016

kikki21

Hi everyone

We are looking at doing a voyage either to New York or from New York on board Cunard.

At the moment, we are thinking that we would want to fly out to New York first for a few days and explore the city and then relax on a cruise back to Southampton - either way it will be in August 2016 as that's when my husband will be celebrating a special birthday! :)

We have also been in New York once before but not together - has anyone got any tips on which way round they prefer to do this trip?

Which airline do Cunard tend to use?

Any general tips with Cunard as we haven't sailed with them previously.

Many thanks in advance!

Each way has its advantages. Cruising west means 25 hour days, which is great. Plus you get the amazing sail into NY. However, cruising east, means no jet lag and for someone that suffers majorly, that would have to be the my choice, despite the 23 hr days., which can be very tiring.

Can you not do a round trip? That's what I like best of all. I believe Cunard tend to use BA and VA.

Edited by cruiseluvva

Our personal preference is to fly first as we are excited about going on Holiday and tend to not be quite as bothered by the travails of air travel as we are at the end of the Holiday with only air travel and work to look forward to.:eek: Just a personal opinion. We have enjoyed both ways immensely. Arrival by sea into NYC is a special event though it happens very early in the AM. Departures are normally in the afternoon in daylight (depending on time of year) and are also grand. We just returned from a visit to NYC and it is very tiring to "do" the City. I would prefer the pampering on QM2 after the hustle/bustle of The BIG APPLE.:D You will love it. No other ship line has the ship or the history as Cunard.

Would definitely travel westbound when possible. You cannot fully appreciate 23 hour days until you experience 6 or 7 of them in a row on an eastbound TA.

25 hour days are great for relaxing and enjoying the evenings aboard Cunard.

Would definitely travel westbound when possible. You cannot fully appreciate 23 hour days until you experience 6 or 7 of them in a row on an eastbound TA.

25 hour days are great for relaxing and enjoying the evenings aboard Cunard.

Only 5 time zones between Southampton and NYC. The ships go so slow these days (7 or 8 day Transatlantics) that there is not an hour change each day. For me, the time change advantage of West Bound over East Bound have been minimized. In the days of 5 day (or less) TAs, I also preferred Westbound. Now, whatever works best with the schedule. They all beat working.:eek::D:D

Thank you very much for the answers, very helpful! :)

We could consider a round trip but that would take up a lot more time and we have to be mindful as there is a wedding to attend in late August 2016 and work too!

We are leaning towards a fly to NYC option first, enjoy a few mad days and come back on the QM2 so we have a few months to wait now until Cunard release more of the 2016 schedule :)

And oh yes any cruise is better than working!!!:)

I'd defiantly recommend getting the flight out of the way first . The daylight is much better than the Red Eye. Don't forget to do as much shopping as you can and you'll have no worries of luggage problems ;)

On arrival in Southampton you've had a good nights sleep, a refreshing shower and a bit of breakfast before that journey home .....And no queuing through airports with all those early morning arrivals ;)

• 2 months later...

Hi Kikki21

See you posted this last year but I've only just started looking. I'm also interested in finding a sailing from NY to Southampton in August 2016 - doesn't have to be Cunard but no doubt there aren't many other ships going transatlantic at that time of the year.

A group of us want to visit Las Vegas first and then on to New York to celebrate a friend's 70th birthday (she was born in NY so seemed like a great idea!). So, for us definitely the Eastbound crossing is the best - luggage, relaxation and all that.

I'll keep looking but if you or anyone else has any great idea please post .

Thanks

Sheila

We did westbound for our silver wedding some years ago and flew back direct to Edinburgh with Continental (as it was then), thereby avoiding Heathrow on the way home. We were going to do eastbound this summer but the dates didn't suit so have decided to postpone until summer 2016. I too suffer jet lag and would be keen to arrive home fit to go back to work the next day. Cunard will book domestic flights to Edinburgh with Flybe from Southampton. We are doing a cruise on QV from Rome later this year and Cunard are booking us on KLM from Edinburgh via Amsterdam to Rome rather than BA via Heathrow. Unfortunately it means a 6am flight rather than 7.20am, but the changeover in AMS is only an hour instead of 2 at LHR so we will be able to travel the same day as departure rather than needing to travel the day before and taking an extra day off work.

We have also been in New York once before but not together - has anyone got any tips on which way round they prefer to do this trip?

Which airline do Cunard tend to use?

Many thanks in advance!

Personally I would take the ship to New York and get some of those 25 hour days and then take one of the daytime flights back to the UK. I believe both BA and VS still do the daytime flights. Done it several times.

Personally I would take the ship to New York and get some of those 25 hour days and then take one of the daytime flights back to the UK. I believe both BA and VS still do the daytime flights. Done it several times.

We took the ship westbound - spent 11 days in NYC then flew back to Australia via Abu Dhabi. There was jetlag at the home end which was ok as we didn't have to hit the ground running workwise. I like to minimise jetlag while actually travelling.

We have also been considering a TA this August with Cunard.

We both agreed that Sailing from New York would be better due to no airport stress (we both dont like flying much) and being able to buy as much as we wanted and have no jetlag.

What we have also considered is a cruise when we arrive in New York (Caribbean or Canada), a stay in New York then the QM2 back. We found a few that interested us and the dates were ok. That way we would also get the sailing into New York experience as well.

Edited by Velvetwater

Yes. I posted the following link on the Roll Call yesterday. Lucky people!

http://www.itv.com/news/meridian/update/2015-01-16/crosby-stills-nash-to-perform-on-queen-mary-2/

What we have also considered is a cruise when we arrive in New York (Caribbean or Canada), a stay in New York then the QM2 back. We found a few that interested us and the dates were ok. That way we would also get the sailing into New York experience as well.
Unless you're considering the Caribbean or Canada on another lines it's difficult to do this on Cunard. If the QM2 sails to England without you it's a minimum of two weeks (usually more) before it returns.

Unless you're considering the Caribbean or Canada on another lines it's difficult to do this on Cunard. If the QM2 sails to England without you it's a minimum of two weeks (usually more) before it returns.

Yes it is with other lines.

It would be the Carnival Splendor or if the price dropped enough the Liberty of the Seas.

Theres gaps so we could squeeze a NY stay but there is one where we would get off the Splendor then straight on to the Queen Mary which would be odd but cool. Never heard of a Carnival/Cunard B2B before!

Edited by Velvetwater

Hi Kikki stick with your original thought would be our recommendation.

We love NYC.

We got a great deal with Cunard for a TA a year last November. Flew to NYC, arranged our own accommodation for 4 nights then the QM2 back to the UK and train home. Cunard arranged the flights (only £39 supplement to fly from Birmingham) and for us the QM2 is the only way to do a TA. We had a force 10 gale for a day or so and 30' swells but no problem at all on the QM2.

We call it a 'masculine' ship - not quite as 'pretty' decoration wise as the QE.

We would definitely do another TA but it would have to be NYC to UK to accommodate all of the shopping !!

Enjoy.

Hi Kikki stick with your original thought would be our recommendation.

We love NYC.

We got a great deal with Cunard for a TA a year last November. Flew to NYC, arranged our own accommodation for 4 nights then the QM2 back to the UK and train home. Cunard arranged the flights (only £39 supplement to fly from Birmingham) and for us the QM2 is the only way to do a TA. We had a force 10 gale for a day or so and 30' swells but no problem at all on the QM2.

We call it a 'masculine' ship - not quite as 'pretty' decoration wise as the QE.

We would definitely do another TA but it would have to be NYC to UK to accommodate all of the shopping !!

Enjoy.

Cunard can arrange your flights even if you include a longish stay before your cruise?

This is good news, did you ring up and ask or do they have any packages?

Not seen a fellow Warwickshire person on these boards by the way.

Yes Velvet. We just phoned up and discussed flight possibilities/supplements etc no problem.They were very flexible at the time and a great deal - £638 each for the flight and TA (sheltered balcony)!!

I think they can also arrange Hotel stays but we have stopped at the Hotel Metro several times so made our own arrangements (which were cheaper).

Our Cruise Rome / Venice last August was booked via a well known on-line Travel Agent who do excellent 'Cruise Smart Deals' (wink wink).

Lived in Warwickshire now for 30 years in a Town beginning with K. LOL.

Yes Velvet. We just phoned up and discussed flight possibilities/supplements etc no problem.They were very flexible at the time and a great deal - £638 each for the flight and TA (sheltered balcony)!!

I think they can also arrange Hotel stays but we have stopped at the Hotel Metro several times so made our own arrangements (which were cheaper).

Our Cruise Rome / Venice last August was booked via a well known on-line Travel Agent who do excellent 'Cruise Smart Deals' (wink wink).

Lived in Warwickshire now for 30 years in a Town beginning with K. LOL.

Thanks for the advice.

We live in a City beginning with C. :D Hubby is home grown but I have been here since getting married 4 years ago and moving from the Peak District.

Edited by Velvetwater

Ha - City beginning with C - is that in Warwickshire ?? A little spooky if that would be the Derbyshire Peak District as my home town is a City beginning with D ( hence my account name) ;)

Haha the city beginning with C isnt great so I group it in with Warwickshire. ;)

The very same Peak District indeed. I used to live near a village that starts with 'Mat' and my family members that like football frequent Pride Park.