Daniel Johnson or Victor Bodden for monkeys and sloths

Pyxie

Looking at touring one of the monkey/sloth places next year when we visit Roatan. I see that both Daniel Johnson and Victor Bodden offer tours that include their respective places (Daniel Johnson’s Monkey and Sloth Hangout or Victor Bodden’s Monkey Business). Both tours I’m looking at also offer beach time. Daniel Johnson’s goes to Parrot Tree Resort and Victor Bodden goes to Bananarama.

Which of these would be the better option? The monkeys and sloths (especially sloths) are our biggest interest but we’d like a nice beach too.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I can not comment on the monkey places, I have an aversion to zoos of any kind.

Parrot Tree is a condo complex with a marina on the windward side of the island, the "beach" is a man-made lagoon. I have only been down there once...not my cuppa

Bananarama is on the premier beach (West Bay) on the island, if you want amazing white fluffy sand, clear blue swimmable water, and easy access to reef snorkeling... This is the spot. Mind you, everyone and their mother uncle wants to experience West Bay Bach.

• 2 months later...

The sloths at Daniel Johnson’s were amazing! The tour included transportation to and from the port, the sanctuary, and snorkeling. I contacted them to arrange the tour on Facebook. They were awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 weeks later...
The sloths at Daniel Johnson’s were amazing! The tour included transportation to and from the port, the sanctuary, and snorkeling. I contacted them to arrange the tour on Facebook. They were awesome!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

How much did you pay for everything, transportation to & from, the sanctuary and the snorkeling? Where did he take you to snorkel? Which port did your ship dock at? My ship will be at Coxen Hole. Thanks for your help!

We were just at Victor Bodden's Monkey Business 2 weeks ago and several ships were in port and to me it just seemed like unorganized chaos. If your main reason for going are the sloths...they were all sleeping and they were only allowing you to stand next to them to get a photo. If you are there before noon it may be better as they were on siesta. When you are in with the monkeys they tell you to let them come to you and not to touch. One did jump down on you for picture taking opportunities but the other Monkey ran around the cage quite upset that people were in its enclosure. In my opinion Bananarama was overly crowded, it was my fault when choosing my excursion and not taking into account the number of ships in port for the day.

Daniel Johnson's is amazing! You can look them up on Facebook and check out their reviews there as well. Messenger is the best way to contact them to ask about prices and schedule a tour. I think transportation, admission and snorkeling was all less than $50 per person.

We did an organized excursion with Daniel Johnson's this past week. The sloth & monkey hangout was cool and we really enjoyed seeing the animals--but it was crowded and you spend a lot of time waiting for everyone in your group to have their moment with each animal. We booked a full day with them--we got picked up at the port, went to the hangout, saw the animals for around an hour, then went on their snorkel boat for about an hour. After snorkeling, we left for ziplining. We couldn't go to their usual zipline place because it was closed on Saturdays, so they had arranged another place (South Shore). We did not end up going there but instead went to Jungle Top which is closer to the port, because by the time we left Daniel Johnson's it was already almost 2pm and we had to be back at the ship at 3:30.

I did not feel like anyone was looking out for our timing, even though they said they'd get us back an hour before our all aboard call. We got off the ship around 9:15 (we had to tender) and had to be back on the ship by 3:30. I kept asking if we really had time to zipline and they kept saying yes, but until I asked if there was a closer place to go, they didn't suggest changing our location. Had we gone all the way to South Shore, I don't think we would have gotten back in time! We also didn't really have time for the island tour which was supposed to be a part of our package.

We paid $100/person for all of this, which seemed like a fairly good deal considering the cost of ship excursions. But I felt like once they had our money they weren't super concerned about the flow of our day or maximizing our time and making sure we got back. I'd be curious to know if Bodden's is better--we weren't able to use them because they are closed Saturdays.