Please Welcome: Mark Conroy to Cruise Critic

• Administrators

Hello Everyone!

We're so pleased to welcome Mark Conroy, Silversea's managing director for the Americas, to Cruise Critic! He is responsible for leading the ultra-luxury cruise line's reservations, guest relations, sales, and marketing activities in the U.S., Canada, and Latin America.

With over 30 years’ experience in the travel and hospitality industry, he has earned a solid reputation for his achievements in a variety of senior positions in the luxury sector and through broader industry participation. He served as chairman of the Executive Committee of Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA) from 2002 to 2004 and in 2013 was inducted into CLIA’s Cruise Industry Hall of Fame.

This is a great opportunity to ask any question at all about Silversea Cruises: new itineraries, ships, plans for the future! Please post a simple "hello" as a reply to this welcome thread, and post your questions as a NEW THREAD in the forum!

Remember, Mark will be here on September 18th, but you can ask your questions now!

Post your welcome as a reply to this post. If you have a question, please start a new thread.

Thank you for participating, and if you have an idea or suggestion for a future Q&A, please let me know,

Laura

Edited by LauraS

Welcome Mr. Conroy! This Spring we are going on our first cruise in 31 years and we're excited that it will be on Silversea! We have convinced my husband's brother & wife to join us for their first ever cruise experience.

I'm looking forward to seeing the discussions on this thread and learning more about Silversea.

Appreciate this upcoming discussion!! What time will this being happening on Sept. 18? Assume being able to follow along in "real time" will be possible and interesting.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2157696

Now at 52,885 views for these postings.

Future of Silversea...........Welcome Mark and hope you enjoy your new position at SS.We have travelled with SS since 1998 every year for average one month per annum and enjoyed everything about cruising with SS.

We have concerns on our experiences over the last five years that quantity is taking over at the expense of the luxury we enjoyed particularly from 1998 to 2008. Our choice of ships at the start was between the Wind and the Cloud and we have a very strong bond with the two babies of the fleet.Our experience to date includes the Shadow and Whisper as well as the two small ships.We are concerned that another Muse size ship is planned for 2020 and feel that the leaning towards large vessels is not for us as old fashioned Pensioners who much prefer the smaller vessels with luxury and personal service being the major plus point .

Having lost the Cloud to the Expedition fleet our choice is reduced by the race for larger ships,producing greater numbers of dollars for SS to finance the expansion programme.It is our hope that SS retains the Wind,Shadow and Whisper as traditional cruise ships thus ensuring our personal choice is not further reduced from luxury to volume cruising.

Best wishes to you in your new responsibilities with SS.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello everyone,

I am responding on behalf of Mark as he is currently with limited connectivity due to Hurricane Irma. He is eager to begin responding to your messages and thanks you in advance for your understanding during this time as he works to find a more stable connection.

Appreciate your messages and look forward to being able to respond soon.

Warm regards,

Sarah Socarras

Hello everyone, I am responding on behalf of Mark as he is currently with limited connectivity due to Hurricane Irma. He is eager to begin responding to your messages and thanks you in advance for your understanding during this time as he works to find a more stable connection. Appreciate your messages and look forward to being able to respond soon. Warm regards, Sarah Socarras

Agree with Jeff for his warm welcome to Sarah. Know that you and your bosses there at SS HDQ are busy and challenged given the current recovery in South Florida after Irma. Sarah has an impressive title as "Sr. Social Media Manager". When handy drop by the "Cooler", say hi there, tell us more as to your official interests, duties, how we can be helpful and more involved, etc. Look forward to learning more. Plus reading the responses from Mark, etc.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,572 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hello Terry -

First off, thanks a lot for writing! Cruise Critic will leave this thread open until September 18th, when Mark will begin responding.

Thanks a ton for participating!

Sarah

Appreciate this upcoming discussion!! What time will this being happening on Sept. 18? Assume being able to follow along in "real time" will be possible and interesting.

From our Jan. 25-Feb. 20, 2015, Amazon River-Caribbean adventure that started in Barbados, here is the link for that live/blog. Many visuals from this amazing river and Caribbean Islands (Dutch ABC's, St. Barts, Dominica, Grenada, etc.):

Now at 52,885 views for these postings.

Hi Jeff,

You never know when I'll pop up here! ;)

Wanted to thank you for your participation in this Q&A but also throughout Cruise Critic boards.

Thank you!

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Welcome to CC!

Interested to hear whether you have plans to participate in the board?

Hello Terry - First off, thanks a lot for writing! Cruise Critic will leave this thread open until September 18th, when Mark will begin responding. Thanks a ton for participating! Sarah

Great, Sarah, to have your response and follow-up. Keep up the wonderful posting and involvement. Don't be shy!! Don't be a stranger!! We welcome this nice sharing.

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 219,600 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Hi Jeff,

You never know when I'll pop up here! ;)

Wanted to thank you for your participation in this Q&A but also throughout Cruise Critic boards.

Thank you!

Sarah

Thanks for the kind words. Hope you become a regular and I am sure that people will appreciate your time when you do.

Hello everyone,

I am responding on behalf of Mark as he is currently with limited connectivity due to Hurricane Irma. He is eager to begin responding to your messages and thanks you in advance for your understanding during this time as he works to find a more stable connection.

Appreciate your messages and look forward to being able to respond soon.

Warm regards,

Sarah Socarras

Sarah,Would appreciate a response to my post re quantity/quality matters raised in my post.Many thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi will be sailing on your ship in March 23rd to the Caribbean on the Silver Wind ship. Due to the devastation to the islands especially Saint Maarten will you be changing the itinerary ? I will also be traveling with my 15 year old son do you have any video games available for him to use during our down times? I am looking forward to sailing with your ship this will be our first time can't wait

Dear all,

Thank you for thoughtful messages and for your concern.

The last several days have felt more like weeks. Quite frankly, I am relieved that the storm passed. I feel deeply for those affected by Hurricane Irma.

I am happy to report that our team is safe and our Miami office is up and running.

On a positive note, it’s been incredible to see the South Florida community come together.

I appreciate everyone's participation in the Q&A and will be responding to your messages throughout the day. For other questions, please bear with me as I work to get additional details from members of our team.

Kind regards,

Mark

Dear all, Thank you for thoughtful messages and for your concern. The last several days have felt more like weeks. Quite frankly, I am relieved that the storm passed. I feel deeply for those affected by Hurricane Irma. I am happy to report that our team is safe and our Miami office is up and running. On a positive note, it’s been incredible to see the South Florida community come together. I appreciate everyone's participation in the Q&A and will be responding to your messages throughout the day. For other questions, please bear with me as I work to get additional details from members of our team. Kind regards, Mark

Appreciate your starting to post these responses and follow-ups. Yes, it has been challenging with all of the pressures from Hurricane Irma, but now Marie is about to blow into even more Caribbean islands. That will make things worse on Silversea and its scheduling with these peak winter schedules.

Now at 53,186 views for these postings.