La Paz & Loreto Ports: things to do?

rainbowcat9

It’s always worth going into town. La Paz is the Capital of California Baja Sur and is a real

Mexican city, not built for American tourists.

First time there we did a city but our that room is to a weavers, glass blowers and ceramics factories. Another time we went swimming with the Whale Sharks. Several times we’ve seen whales when taking the bus to or from Port. Recently we have walked around town. Going inland from the bus terminal you’ll find the main plaza. Church on one side and a small Museum facing it. Lots of places to eat. We eat at the Mercado and then get ice cream at the shop along the Malecon behind the Polka Dot tree.

Loreto is another little town. Seems to be Half and half Mexican and exPat American and Canadian. Can walk into town. It’s Plaza is unusual because it’s long and narrow, not so square. The Church is one of the oldest in Mexico. IIRC established in the 1690’s. Across from the church is a weaver. His handwoven blankets and other things are very pretty. Much more authentic than the $6 Chinese blankets sold all over.

Both of these ports are at the upper range of the Blue Footed Boobie. Didn’t know that until I saw one at the bronze sculpture at the dock in Loreto.

Edited by SadieN

We loved both of these ports. It was very easy to walk around town in Loreto (and the views as we came into port were beautiful--I didn't expect the mountains!) In LaPaz, we did a private excursion to swim with the whale sharks. It was absolutely amazing! They picked us up right next to the ship & returned us there. We had time to take a bus into town & walk around. Enjoyed that, too. We got a very nice inexpensive small painting (done on glass) of the whale sharks--watched the artist paint it.

• 3 weeks later...

I would also recommend snorkeling with the whale sharks. You don't need to be a swimmer (I'm not), just be able to float. I did this last year with La Paz VIP Tours ( check them out on line). Small group with excellent guide (ask for Ana). After the whale sharks we moved to another spot and went in with sea lions. Best excursion I've ever done! It is 10 miles from the ship to downtown, there were at least 4 buses waiting when we docked to take you there. In Loreto it is a tender port, there is a beach to the right where the tender docks. If you go to the left a short ways, you'll soon come to the plaza street, long and shaded. There was a small plaza by the church where some local dance groups and bands were performing. It was a lovely day and very safe. I would do the cruise again in a heartbeat!