Spencer Ambrose or Celebrity excursion to the Pitons - need help deciding please!!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:42 PM.
#41
North Carolina
577 Posts
Joined Sep 2009
Originally posted by jean87510
Is that the 3 - 3 1/2 snorkeling trip? Sounds like its longer than that. I love Anse Chastenet and Jalousie beach snorkeling. I may contact Spencer. He just switched me to the Jalousie beach one. I'm sure he won't mind. And do you think that the people who were snorkeling on the 2 stop went longer than 3 hours?
We just did this on Spencer's and had a great time. 4 of us got dropped off at Anse Chastenet and had a little more than 1 1/2 hours snorkeling time there while the rest of the group went to the mud bath. One of Spencer's guys stayed with us and took care of everything we needed. The snorkeling was great, water clear and plenty of sea life. Because there are two resorts on the beach there is a bar with food and drinks, for a price, and a gift shop.
The boat came back for the 4 of us, we picked up the group from mud bath and boated down to Jalousie beach, between the Pitons. Snorkeling again was good - water clear, plenty of fish. But we were on the public side of the beach, which was very rocky and had fewer chairs. The beach on the resort side was much nicer, but we were told it was $50 to use one of their chairs. We were on that beach for a little more than 2 hours, which included a lunch of roasted chicken and some veggies.
We had a great time and would definitely use Spencer's again. Hope this helps
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Glory 12-05-07
Carnival Legend 11-29-09
Carnival Fascination 7-05-10
Carnival Elation 12-04-10
Carnival Dream 3-19-11
Carnival Inspiration 9-10-11
Carnival Miracle 11-26-11
Celebrity Reflection 1-07-17
Celebrity Silhouette 1-26-18
Celebrity Reflection 2-18-19
#42
220 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by mystone99
We just did this on Spencer's and had a great time. 4 of us got dropped off at Anse Chastenet and had a little more than 1 1/2 hours snorkeling time there while the rest of the group went to the mud bath. One of Spencer's guys stayed with us and took care of everything we needed. The snorkeling was great, water clear and plenty of sea life. Because there are two resorts on the beach there is a bar with food and drinks, for a price, and a gift shop.
The boat came back for the 4 of us, we picked up the group from mud bath and boated down to Jalousie beach, between the Pitons. Snorkeling again was good - water clear, plenty of fish. But we were on the public side of the beach, which was very rocky and had fewer chairs. The beach on the resort side was much nicer, but we were told it was $50 to use one of their chairs. We were on that beach for a little more than 2 hours, which included a lunch of roasted chicken and some veggies.
We had a great time and would definitely use Spencer's again. Hope this helps
I just want to add that the entire beach is "public". The resort has their resort only or pay for chairs on the "sandy" side of the beach and their free / non resort chairs on the rocky side where the Coral for snorkeling is. There is also better shade in the rocky/ snorkel side.
#43
nj
745 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
I've been emailing spencer all day and he arranged for us to go with another couple who wanted the same thing to go to both beaches and have lunch. It's a full day snorkel excursion instead of 1/2 day and it's $105. I said the 1/2 is fine and he said this way we can get more time at anse chastenet then go over and meet up with everyone at jalousie. I really like this option because it's like herods old tour. Going to bat cave, Dr Doolittle beach...I love st Lucia and snorkeling. I will definitely post when I return in april.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend, October 2009 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, October 2010 Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, November 2011 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor, November 2013 Bahamas
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, November 2014 reposition bayonne to port canaveral
Carnival Sunshine, October 2015 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April, 2016 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, October, 2016 Bayonne to San Juan
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, April 2017 TransAtl San Juan to Rome
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, November, 2017 TransAtl Barcelona to Tampa
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Reposition San Juan to Bayonne
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, November 2018 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning emerald)!!
RCCL Vision of the Seas, January 2019 Western Caribbean
RCCL Jewel of the seas, October 2019 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning diamond!!)
#44
Reading Pa USA
1,174 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
I am doing the Jalousie/Sugar Beach tour in early March. I can’t wait.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ev
#45
NYC
791 Posts
Joined Jan 2004
Originally posted by mystone99
We just did this on Spencer's and had a great time. 4 of us got dropped off at Anse Chastenet and had a little more than 1 1/2 hours snorkeling time there while the rest of the group went to the mud bath. One of Spencer's guys stayed with us and took care of everything we needed. The snorkeling was great, water clear and plenty of sea life. Because there are two resorts on the beach there is a bar with food and drinks, for a price, and a gift shop.
The boat came back for the 4 of us, we picked up the group from mud bath and boated down to Jalousie beach, between the Pitons. Snorkeling again was good - water clear, plenty of fish. But we were on the public side of the beach, which was very rocky and had fewer chairs. The beach on the resort side was much nicer, but we were told it was $50 to use one of their chairs. We were on that beach for a little more than 2 hours, which included a lunch of roasted chicken and some veggies.
We had a great time and would definitely use Spencer's again. Hope this helps
I don't know if we were out the same day, but this is what happened when we were on the Land, Sea and Beach tour as well. A couple of snorkelers got dropped at Anse Chastenet first thing and then rejoined us (apparently by boat) at Jalousie, then we all went back to Castries together. Their tour was therefore the same length as our tour, about 6 hours. We left at 8:30-9am and got back at 2:30pm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2/27/04 - Carnival Spirit
2/7/11 - Celebrity Equinox
1/18/14 - Celebrity Reflection
2/27/16 - Celebrity Reflection

#46
Chicago & South Florida
327 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
My husband and I went on Spencer's Snorkeling Adventure. The crew were fabulous. They took us to 2 amazing beaches, Anse Castanet and Sugarand pointed out fabulous sites from the boat, such as the Pitons. The snorkeling was great! I highly recommend this company.
#47
Chicago & South Florida
327 Posts
Joined Mar 2009
My husband and I went on Spencer's Snorkeling Adventure. The crew were fabulous. They took us to 2 amazing beaches, Sugar/Jalousie Beach and Anse Castanet, and pointed out fabulous sites from the boat, such as the Pitons. The snorkeling was great! I highly recommend this company.
#48
east coast
943 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by Alsmez
I haven't toured with Cosol so I can't say for sure, but I did hear a number of people on our ship mentioning that they had spent an hour and a half each way in a van to get to Soufriere with other operators. That would be a dealbreaker for me - not only do I hate wasting half my day in transit, but I get carsick rather easily. The speedboat is definitely worth a few extra bucks to me, although the lunch most definitely was not.
So I am really sad to hear this, as I just booked this exact tour for our first trip to St. Lucia in November. I have to agree with you the main reason we also chose Spencers was to avoid a long bus ride on winding roads (been there and done that before). Thought this would be a fun day based on all the great reviews I had read (also do a lot of research beforehand). Now I'm second-guessing my decision?? Maybe you just had an off-day per chance?? But I have to agree with you I would not have been happy if I experienced what you did on your time on the island for the price paid. I just thought this tour included a lot of the highlights for first time trip on St. Lucia. Thanks for your review and will be looking out for others experiences until closer to our cruise.
#49
Ontario, Canada
37 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
First time booking the Gros Piton climb with Spencer Ambrose.....not a fan! We followed the meeting instructions only to find (by accident) that it had been changed. Even though this company states the tour leaves promptly at a certain time....it doesn't, at least not this day. There was a lot of hurry up and wait going on. We finally boarded a speed boat, only to disembark and board another boat. First stop was for a bag of ice...come on, you're a professional company....have a cooler(s) with ice ready to go before picking up guests. Anyway, we arrived at the 2nd beach drop for the climb. According to our tour guide (not affiliated with Spencer Ambrose), we arrived quite late and time probably did not allow us to climb to the top. Regardless, we made it to the 1/2 way mark, it was a difficult climb, but amazing. We descended and eventually met Spencer Ambrose in the boat who took us to Sugar Beach to join the rest of the guests who had booked the beach day only. Huge let down, beach crowded, not much sun and food so so....and all ice had turned to water......rum punch not the same without ice...lol. Speed boat ride on the way back was over crowded. Guides tried desperately to get us to stand up and dance.....hint, if you want a party boat on the return, put us on a boat where you can actually stand up and party....friggin ridiculous. So there, that's my experience. My advice, if you have an interest in climbing the Pitons, hire a private car so that you get to the Pitons early. If you are doing the beach day only,,,,,,,much better beaches than Sugar Beach.
#50
nj
745 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by smdcruiser
First time booking the Gros Piton climb with Spencer Ambrose.....not a fan! We followed the meeting instructions only to find (by accident) that it had been changed. Even though this company states the tour leaves promptly at a certain time....it doesn't, at least not this day. There was a lot of hurry up and wait going on. We finally boarded a speed boat, only to disembark and board another boat. First stop was for a bag of ice...come on, you're a professional company....have a cooler(s) with ice ready to go before picking up guests. Anyway, we arrived at the 2nd beach drop for the climb. According to our tour guide (not affiliated with Spencer Ambrose), we arrived quite late and time probably did not allow us to climb to the top. Regardless, we made it to the 1/2 way mark, it was a difficult climb, but amazing. We descended and eventually met Spencer Ambrose in the boat who took us to Sugar Beach to join the rest of the guests who had booked the beach day only. Huge let down, beach crowded, not much sun and food so so....and all ice had turned to water......rum punch not the same without ice...lol. Speed boat ride on the way back was over crowded. Guides tried desperately to get us to stand up and dance.....hint, if you want a party boat on the return, put us on a boat where you can actually stand up and party....friggin ridiculous. So there, that's my experience. My advice, if you have an interest in climbing the Pitons, hire a private car so that you get to the Pitons early. If you are doing the beach day only,,,,,,,much better beaches than Sugar Beach.
That's the reason I didn't want to do climb from beach. I think it's longer that way. Spencer actually told me that and said it was my call to do that or another excursion. I mapped it and noted how long it was and figured I'd do it if/when staying in st Lucia. I believe when you approach on land it's about 30 minutes up that you save on walking. Of course the drive there negates the time saved. I would do this one off the ship excursion also

Sent from my SM-G955U using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Carnival Legend, October 2009 Eastern Caribbean
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, October 2010 Caribbean
Carnival Fantasy, November 2011 Bahamas
Carnival Splendor, November 2013 Bahamas
RCCL Explorer of the Seas, November 2014 reposition bayonne to port canaveral
Carnival Sunshine, October 2015 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April, 2016 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, October, 2016 Bayonne to San Juan
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, April 2017 TransAtl San Juan to Rome
RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas, November, 2017 TransAtl Barcelona to Tampa
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit, April 2018 Reposition San Juan to Bayonne
RCCL Jewel of the Seas, November 2018 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning emerald)!!
RCCL Vision of the Seas, January 2019 Western Caribbean
RCCL Jewel of the seas, October 2019 transatlantic Rome to San Juan (turning diamond!!)
#51
69 Posts
Joined Jul 2017
A little concerned about upcoming tour with Spencer after reading so many recent reports of faulty equipment, crowds, etc. stayed away from Cosol due to long drive. Any other suggestions?


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
#52
12,151 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by JerseyGirlatHeart
A little concerned about upcoming tour with Spencer after reading so many recent reports of faulty equipment, crowds, etc. stayed away from Cosol due to long drive. Any other suggestions?


Sent from my iPad using Forums
I have been with Spencer before and had no problems.

However, the latest reviews about faulty boats are making me a bit uncomfortable to book again.
#53
Reading Pa USA
1,174 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
Originally posted by Arzeena
I have been with Spencer before and had no problems.



However, the latest reviews about faulty boats are making me a bit uncomfortable to book again.


I haven’t seen anything about faulty boats is this on another thread?
I am booked with him in March.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Ev
#54
220 Posts
Joined Apr 2016
Originally posted by crazybus
I haven’t seen anything about faulty boats is this on another thread?
I am booked with him in March.


Sent from my iPad using Forums
There was a recent posting about a group that experienced a engine problem. I went on the snorkel adventure with Spencer back in late November and the boat we were on seemed well maintained and good running. I will also be going back next month and I'll be going with Spencer again, it was the best excursion we ever been on
#55
Allentown, Pa.
1,493 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
We had a significant problem with Spencer a couple years ago. A busy day in port and he over scheduled. When people got upset with his poor service he lost his cool and started yelling at some folks. Never again for us


Sent from my iPhone using Forums
#56
Ohio
982 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
We did the Jalousie Beach Break a few years ago with Spencer Ambrose. Unless you want to pay an additional $50 per chair to rent a chair from the Sugar Beach Resort, you will be delegated to a small area of the beach to the left of the dock with limited number of loungers. Now, Spencer's boats can usually get there pretty fast before the other tours make it there, but it really isn't ideal. I am not sure I would do it again unless I was willing to fork out the additional $50pp to rent chairs in the larger and less cramped section of the beach in front of the Sugar Beach Resort. The beach is pretty cool and the view of the Pitons from land and sea is awesome. I did finally make a video of our Jalousie Beach Break excursion if anyone wants to check it out.

https://youtu.be/zH1RVBduX9M
#57
Southern California
809 Posts
Joined Apr 2006
Originally posted by dioxide45
We did the Jalousie Beach Break a few years ago with Spencer Ambrose. Unless you want to pay an additional $50 per chair to rent a chair from the Sugar Beach Resort, you will be delegated to a small area of the beach to the left of the dock with limited number of loungers. Now, Spencer's boats can usually get there pretty fast before the other tours make it there, but it really isn't ideal. I am not sure I would do it again unless I was willing to fork out the additional $50pp to rent chairs in the larger and less cramped section of the beach in front of the Sugar Beach Resort. The beach is pretty cool and the view of the Pitons from land and sea is awesome. I did finally make a video of our Jalousie Beach Break excursion if anyone wants to check it out.

https://youtu.be/zH1RVBduX9M
Great video. Thank you for sharing! I have been snorkeling there also (2017), some of the best snorkeling I have experienced.
have a few questions: Did you end up getting chairs to the left? How did the rum punch taste?

Thank you.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruise history:
04/17 - Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Eclipse
04/16 - B2B Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Summit
04/15 - 10 night Ultimate Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox
04/14 - 14 night Exotic Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Eclipse
04/13 - B2B Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas
05/12 - Eastern Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas
04/12 - Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas
04/11 - 14 night Exotic Southern Caribbean on Celebrity Constellation
04/10 - 10 night Ultimate Caribbean on Celebrity Equinox
04/09 - 13 night Southern Caribbean on Explorer of the Seas
04/08 - Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas
04/07 - Western Caribbean on Freedom of the Seas
04/06 - Southern Caribbean on Adventure of the Seas
05/05 - Eastern Caribbean on Navigator of the Seas
05/04 - HONEYMOON Western Caribbean on Mariner of the Seas
#58
Ohio
982 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by rcprncss
Great video. Thank you for sharing! I have been snorkeling there also (2017), some of the best snorkeling I have experienced.
have a few questions: Did you end up getting chairs to the left? How did the rum punch taste?

Thank you.
We did get chairs to the left. They were fine, but the area is a little cramped and under a lot of trees. I think it would be worth it to just fork over the extra $50pp for chairs at Sugar Beach Resort. I really don't recall the rum punch, so apparently it wasn't memorable.

I wasn't really that impressed with the snorkeling. Lots of great fish as you can see in the video, but the reef was pretty much dead otherwise. No great corals to be seen, thus why you don't see much else on the snorkeling front in that video. There really wasn't anything else to show other than that school of fish.