Never again

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:20 AM.
Michigan
100 Posts
Joined Mar 2012
Originally posted by reedprincess
Not sure you'll find piston beer here. Never seen it anywhere.
You can head to Vigie Beach boardwalk and enjoy ice cold Piton beers.
Enjoy.
LOL I misspelled it. That's what I meant. Thanks!
North Carolina
154 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
Originally posted by Quiltincruiser
Ship docked in Castries, St. Lucia at 10:00 am. Cleared customs at 10:30. Went ashore at 10:50. Assaulted and absolutely beaten down by the tour and taxi people at the pier, we turned around and were back on ship by 11:20. Will never go ashore in Castries again!

Sent from my iPad using Forums
Thank you for sharing this experience, Quiltincruiser.
London, England
3,863 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
This thread was started last October.

St Lucia is one of our favourite Caribbean islands, but we also did the tour with Cosol's which was the best excursion we have done in the Caribbean. Never felt uncomfortable or threatened at all.

Cincinnati Ohio
1,187 Posts
Joined Aug 2006
Originally posted by Keith1010
This is a port of call where my recommendation is to either do a tour or stay on the ship. There is very little to see on your own and my own view is once you get a few blocks from the port it is scary.

Keith
I found a myriad of stuff to do on my own by just wandering around. There's a place right on the main drag across the street from the cruise terminal called TT's Tourist Paradise. I thought, "well hell, I'm a tourist!" so I went in. I was the only tourist there but the beer was cold and the folks were friendly. Another spot I enjoyed visiting was a local fast food franchise. I don't recall the name but it reminded me of a Whattaburger out of Texas. It wasn't bad and it was interesting to see St. Lucia's take on American style fast food. I think I was the only white person in the whole place. I had some postcards to mail so I asked directions to the post office and that was interesting. I had to wait in line like everybody else but what a great way to get a sense of what a place is like. Another favorite spot was an outdoor market that sold all manner of fruits and vegetables, fish and fowl.
I've done tours to the mud volcano and to the Pitons but there's nothing better than hanging out and rubbing shoulders with the locals.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Your old pal,
Joe

Regal Princess - 2/2017
Regal Princess - 2/2016
Carnival Breeze - 2/2015
Carnival Valor - 3/2013
Crown Princess - 2/2010
Caribbean Princess - 2/2009
Crown Princess - 11/2006
Windjammer Polynesia - 9/2002
Windjammer Flying Cloud -7/1994

London, UK
329 Posts
Joined May 2008
My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.
Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!
Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.
2 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Originally posted by BeachPhoenix
That is so unfortunate, as this is one of our very favourite islands in the Caribbean. For those who are planning to travel to St Lucia we only tour with Frank's St Lucia Taxi and Tours. He was recommended by our travel agent a few years ago, and we have toured the island with him twice - no issues, no problems. In fact, he took us everywhere on the island and showed us how wonderful this place in paradise is. He is well known and well respected here.

Please, How much did Frank's Taxi tours cost?
St. Lucia, West Indies
3,792 Posts
Joined Aug 2008
Originally posted by mermaidchick
Please, How much did Frank's Taxi tours cost?
You can see their various tours at their website.. St Lucia Franks....
12,694 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by hammers
My wife and I visited St Lucia in December, after our last bad experience at this port we stayed on the ship.
Over the years the taxi's and the beach vendors became too controlling. Usually you tell the taxi where you want to go, not in St Lucia they tell you where they will take you! Also upon reaching Rodney Bay (where else!), the sun bed vendors would not only try to rip you off, they would also tell you where you will be sitting!
Then you have to face a constant stream of vendors selling the usual rubbish, who then berate you when you don't buy anything. It's about time the cruise lines stopped calling at St Lucia, perhaps then the locals would start treating the cruise passengers with respect.
Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!
London, UK
329 Posts
Joined May 2008
Originally posted by Arzeena
Never had that happen to us in St Luica.

Too bad you missed a great port!
Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.
12,694 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by hammers
Hi Arzeena, that was my point, we have visited St Lucia on many occasions. In the early days it was fine, it's only lately that things have deteriorated.
I respect your opinion. I am very comfortable with St Lucia and I have only been there in later years so cannot compare to the early glory days. Perhaps we look at things differently because we all have different experiences.
1,157 Posts
Joined Sep 2002
You can get a Piton beer without leaving the enclosed port area. Head to the Pink Papaya for beer and some pretty decent fish or jerk chicken wraps. They are much different than in the US or Mexico but watch out for the mango and scotch bonnet peppers hot sauce. I love it but many find it to be too hot. They have wi-fi free so you'll see crew there too. The place is family run and started out years back with only beer and fish sandwiches. It is also clean and they often have music now. Not a bad stop on the way out or back to the ship.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sue
Norwegian Sun, Canada 11 day-Sept 2001
Carnival Legend, Bermuda 6 day-Oct 2002
Celebrity Galaxy, E. Caribbean 11 day-April 2003
Carnival Legend, Bermuda 6 day-Oct 2003
Celebrity Galaxy, Balto to Rome TA 14 day-May 2004
Celebrity Constellation, NJ to Dover EBTA 8 day- May 2005
Celebrity Constellation, Dover to NJ WBTA & Europe 12 day-Sept 2005
Celebrity Galaxy, Black Sea 14 day-October 2006
Celebrity Zenith, Tampa 10 day W Carib-March 2007
Azamara Celebrity Journey, 14 day Repo, Narco-terrorism cruise, October 2007
Celebrity Infinity, 14 day SA & Panama Canal, March 2008
Celebrity Constellation, 11 day Repo Bermuda & Carib, Oct 2008
Celebrity Constellation, 14 day EBTA NJ to Harwich via Portugal and Spain, April, 2009
Celebrity Mercury, San Diego to Balto 17 days, October 2009
Celebrity Mercury, Caribbean, 12 days February 2010
Celebrity Summit, NJ to Canada 14 days September 2010
Celebrity Mercury, Caribbean 12 days Feb 2011
HAL Amsterdam, Alaska R/T Seattle 14 days May 2011
HAL Rotterdam, Adriatic, 12 days Oct, 2011
Celebrity Reflection, Caribbean, 7 days April 2013
Celebrity Summit, Caribbean R/T Puerto Rico B2B 14 days January 2014
Norwegian POA, Hawaii 7 day October 2014
Celebrity Summit, Caribbean R/T Puerto Rico B2B 14 days, January 2015
Azamara Quest, Sydney to Auckland, 16 days, January 15, 2016
Crystal Serenity, Northwest Passage, 32 days, August-September 2016
HAL Westerdam, Panama Canal March 2017
The Moody Blues Cruise, Celebrity Eclipse followed by a 14 day Caribbean, January 2018
Next up, Celebrity Summit, Caribbean R/T San Juan 24 days B2B, January 2019
Second up, HAL Princendam, FLL to Lisbon-Canaries and Morocco, 18 days, March-April 2019
Third up, Azamara Journey, Barcelona to Greenwich for D-Day, 14 days, May-June 2019

Have chair, will travel!
582 Posts
Joined Feb 2011
Best thing about Castries is - leaving. To appreciate St. Lucia, one must get out of Castries and that happens successfully with some pre-planning.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
NYC
34 Posts
Joined Feb 2014
I took one of those private boat rides last year to the Pitons and I thought we were going to die on the ride back as the boat driver was going much too fast and we were bouncing all over the place. I'll never do it again.
12,694 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by reub
I took one of those private boat rides last year to the Pitons and I thought we were going to die on the ride back as the boat driver was going much too fast and we were bouncing all over the place. I'll never do it again.
LOL!
I had the same experience on the return boat ride from Jalhousie Beach, and on top of that it started pouring! But that ride from hell is well worth the paradise that Jalhousie is and I will surely do it again, now that I know what to expect.
St. Pete Beach, FL
33 Posts
Joined Jan 2008
Originally posted by merinski
We researched and went on a private tour with Cosol Tours, it was the best tour we ever did!

We also did Cosol Tours In January. Fabulous. 7 hours, beers, rum punch, 7 hours can’t say enough good things about it. And the price is so right!

OH
541 Posts
Joined May 2017
Many ports the vendors can be pushy. You have to remember that for most of them, this is their only chance to make some money. I'm not going to miss out on seeing what the world has to offer, because I had to say no to some things I don't want.
Long Island,NY
3,850 Posts
Joined Mar 2011
We have been to St. Lucia many times and normally take tours .However ,on our last cruise this past December we decided to walk on our own and it was great . We had no problems with anyone there nor have we ever previously.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Lenny
Hamilton Twp, NJ
417 Posts
Joined Oct 2014
I have been to St Lucia 3 times by cruise ship. First 2 times got off ship - was not a pleasant experience. To say the vendors were aggressive is an understandment. Scheduled on RCCL in October and one of the stops is St Lucia - staying on ship. I understand that others live this island, but it is not for me.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature