Opinion on packing cubes please.

vegasgal47

Anyone use packing cubes? I'm considering buying some but wanted some opinions.

Do they save space or just organize?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have been using packing cubes & envelopes for years. Not only do they keep your clothes organized but help to keep them from wrinkling. If you are concerned about extra weight which is minimal, Eagle

Creek and Tripped Travel Gear now have cubes made of an extra light fabric with are also compression bags. Eagles Creek also using the very light weight fabric makes envelopes and non-compression cubes.

I never really unpack my cubes when I arrive at my destination. I just unzip them and put them in a drawer or on a shelf. Makes it extremely easy to repack when it’s time to head home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where is the best place to buy these packing cubes??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Probably a personal choice and also what kind of cubes you like. My DH uses Eagle Creek - they are two sided, sturdy but I find them a bit too heavy IMHO. I bought two sets of cheap cubes and packing bags on Ali Express and love them.

Where is the best place to buy these packing cubes??

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Eagle Creek cubes can be purchased directly from them, Container Store & at Amazon to name a few places. Tripped Travel Gear I found on Amazon.

I have been using the extra large zip lock bags for 15 years. Every since our luggage was left out on the tarmac during a thunderstorm when the workers were called back inside. Everything in the suitcase was wet. It was a winter trip so sweaters and heavy clothes, yuck.

I stared using cubes about 7 years ago but still use the zip locks because things like our formal wear doesn't fit in them. Not going to fold a sequin gown into a little cube and I do have some of the larger cubes. I tend to use zip locks for things I need to hangup.

I wish all suitcases had the zipped cover over each side. The smaller cubes will fall out when the wrong side of the suitcase is up when opened - by the tsa guys. So I use the cubes in the zippered side and large zip lock bags on the other side. My ziplocks are the exact size of my suitcase.

I love the smaller cubes. I have two dressers in one spare bedroom with travel stuff in them. I have a cube for electrical stuff, one for first aid stuff, different shampoos and conditiiners, one for laundry products, clothes pins, elastic line, etc, dental products. And so on. I don't need everything in all the cubes but different trips require different things. So I just pull each cube out, take out what I need and go on to the next. Saves me a lot of time and if I follow my packing lists, I rarely forgot anything.

I love the little ones. I keep them my purse - one for phone, tablet chargers, post a notes , pens, etc. One for make up, etc. Onefor gum, cough drops, hand sanitizer, etc. When I go shopping, I leave the cubes in the car that I won't need. It really lightens up my purse.

Try them if you have not. I find them at Marshalls and TJMax

I have been using the extra large zip lock bags for 15 years. Every since our luggage was left out on the tarmac during a thunderstorm when the workers were called back inside. Everything in the suitcase was wet. It was a winter trip so sweaters and heavy clothes, yuck.

I stared using cubes about 7 years ago but still use the zip locks because things like our formal wear doesn't fit in them. Not going to fold a sequin gown into a little cube and I do have some of the larger cubes. I tend to use zip locks for things I need to hangup.

I wish all suitcases had the zipped cover over each side. The smaller cubes will fall out when the wrong side of the suitcase is up when opened - by the tsa guys. So I use the cubes in the zippered side and large zip lock bags on the other side. My ziplocks are the exact size of my suitcase.

I love the smaller cubes. I have two dressers in one spare bedroom with travel stuff in them. I have a cube for electrical stuff, one for first aid stuff, different shampoos and conditiiners, one for laundry products, clothes pins, elastic line, etc, dental products. And so on. I don't need everything in all the cubes but different trips require different things. So I just pull each cube out, take out what I need and go on to the next. Saves me a lot of time and if I follow my packing lists, I rarely forgot anything.

I love the little ones. I keep them my purse - one for phone, tablet chargers, post a notes , pens, etc. One for make up, etc. Onefor gum, cough drops, hand sanitizer, etc. When I go shopping, I leave the cubes in the car that I won't need. It really lightens up my purse.

Try them if you have not. I find them at Marshalls and TJMax

Where do you find large zip lock bags the size of your suitcase?

Probably a personal choice and also what kind of cubes you like. My DH uses Eagle Creek - they are two sided, sturdy but I find them a bit too heavy IMHO. I bought two sets of cheap cubes and packing bags on Ali Express and love them.

Sorry.

* I had meant this post for the person that posted just before you. Nabisco.

I buy Hefty 2.5 gal. ones, 14" x 16" usually get 6 items in them. Two full bags fit side by side in my 26" suitcase, and I have 3 layers. I'm on board for longer cruises, 30 day cruise end of the month. I roll all my clothes even metallic sparkly tops for formal night. I no longer do dresses, years ago I did. For this So. Amer. cruise, I'll need capris for warmer weather, some things for cooler going around the horn, it will all fit in this 26" suitcase by the time I'm done! :)

They are extremely light. Only problem is that it may be easy to overpack as you can fit more...be careful. I got a set of much smaller and similar ones at Marshall's. One for charging cords, one for jewelry, one for meds/vitamins, and one for makeup. I also had my doubts, but I'm sold now. Also makes prepacking easy before the suitcase comes out of the attic!

for me, I use the small ones and pack the undies in them and are able to stuff them in the nooks in the suite case. I usually fill the bottom of the suit case with them and a folder, which makes a nice even base to pack the rest of my clothing on.

But packing has many factors involved. How many shoes you take and how big or small are your shoes, the clothing size that you are packing makes a big difference too.

Until now, I would take the underwear and fold them to fit in the valleys in the suitcase to make a flat surface then take my slacks and have each one in a dry cleaner plastic and make a layer then came the polo shirts folded with plastic around them to prevent wrinkles, then the shoes at the wheel end of the suitcase followed by the rest of the packing like t-shirts, swimwear, etc. Kinda OCD but it worked for years. Took a long time to pack, then everything had to be put away and then re-packed at the end of the cruise.

A problem with this was that, unless you strapped the clothes down in the bag, with all the plastic things shifted when the porters tossed the bag around. So, I stopped carefully folding and wrapping the shirts and slacks and took them to the laundry room and did a quick ironing. Another waste of time.

I have now joined the "cube generation" and purchased the Pro Packing Cubes and start rolling. It makes perfect sense for things like underwear, socks, t-shirts where you can leave them int cube and pull out when needed. The polo type shirts and even the dressier shirts work well in the larger bags when folded properly. Unfortunately, the tux and formal shirts will still have to be packed as before, but I have that part figured out.

The electronics, iPad, MacBook Air, DLSR and GoPro equipment go in the backpack. The cables and other cords fit nicely in the BUBM travel organizer and slip in the backpack.

Packing is now more fun.

I like the idea of having all "like" items together - my under garments in one cube and my dh's in other, etc. and just leaving the cubes in a drawer.

I do pack like that on a dive vacation with my son. With a bag for our scuba gear and two for camera gear, we have to share the third one for clothes but this is when I do pack cubes by same items. I also use them in our backpacks between the gear we don't want checked.

But

We cross pack so we each have some clothes in each suitcase. Never know when one case will get lost.

I pack the cubes by outfit - a skirt, top, sweater or jacket or anything that I need to wear together. All dh's items that he needs with his tux, etc. Sometimes I can fit three outfits in one cube.

I guess we each have to our own way of packing and the older we are, the less change we want to do but I can always pick up a hint or two from other ideas.

Anyone use packing cubes? I'm considering buying some but wanted some opinions.

Do they save space or just organize?

Thanks!

Just bought some packing cubes on the recommendation of our travel loving daughter. Yes, they are great! Keeps everything so organized.

I also like to use freezer zip lock quart bags for toiletries and take extra ones with me along with gallon freezer bags for other items that could leak.