Live from the Prinsendam - 28 day Azores and Celtic Explorer - May 5th, 2018

kazu

the inside scoop on the schedule change. The decision has NOT been made yet.

The issue with Bristol is the tides and timing.

I’ll report back once the decision is made and we know.

Thanks, Jacqui!

I am enjoying this Live thread with your detailed posts and photos.

Today is the last day of a 3-day conference for work, then I can finish packing.

We're leaving Sunday for our pre-cruise visit to Liverpool and North Wales.

Can't wait to get on the Elegant Explorer. Sea you soon in Dover.

Bobbie

And they're only looking at this now? Tide timing is predictable, they could have figured this out sooner. I just looked online. Low tide at Avonmouth is 8:21 AM and 8:55 PM, close to the scheduled arrival and departure times. Tidal difference is fairly large there. I don't know how the Bristol Channel is affected (port entry is from the channel), but I've seen high and low tide in the Avon River and low tide in the river is VERY low.

Jacqui, Cobh is a nice little town, everything is right off the ship, there is also a train station next to the ship, you can take a train to Cork, very nice town..

The pink panthers have been to work.

Da da..da da da…..

Unofficial until the paper comes out but we are NOT going to Bristol (I need a sob emotion).

The tides are the problem. With the way they are working I was told that the longest we could be in Bristol was around 4 hours as opposed to the 14 we were scheduled for so it looks like Cork is going to be the stop.

Regretfully, we will miss Bath and the Cotswolds, but I am going to try to research Cork in the library and see what I can figure out.

And they're only looking at this now? Tide timing is predictable, they could have figured this out sooner. I just looked online. Low tide at Avonmouth is 8:21 AM and 8:55 PM, close to the scheduled arrival and departure times. Tidal difference is fairly large there. I don't know how the Bristol Channel is affected (port entry is from the channel), but I've seen high and low tide in the Avon River and low tide in the river is VERY low.

I'm not sure if the tides have changed or if someone screwed up when the itinerary was set. I couldn't get that information (understandably).

It is what it is, I guess. But Bristol was one port I was looking forward to. I'll wait for the official notification and then notify my tour company. GRRRR.

Jacqui, Cobh is a nice little town, everything is right off the ship, there is also a train station next to the ship, you can take a train to Cork, very nice town..

thank you so much for the insight :). Pretty hard to research easily when you are on board.

Would you recommend this as diy? Or arrange a tour.

Many thanks if you see this.

Just back from the wine around the world. Busy day and it's Bingo time so I will be back later.

thank you so much for the insight :). Pretty hard to research easily when you are on board.

Just back from the wine around the world. Busy day and it's Bingo time so I will be back later.

Do it all by yourself!!

Jacqui, you've helped me many times. We were in Cobh two years back on Princess. Had a very good excursion, but note the last paragraph. Here are the details:

Monday, June 27, 2016– Cobh (Cork) Ireland

We set the alarm a bit too early today for a 5:30 wakeup. At 6:30 we were out on deck butIreland was still at a distance that there was not much to photograph. By 7:00 however we were passing into the portof Cork, what our tour guide later told us is the second largest natural portin the world, after Sydney, Australia. We had breakfast in the lido and scored a window table on the port side,so we had good location for the sail-in photos.

I took a few more photos as we approached the dock from deck16 to avoid glass. We had arranged withour 13 person cruise critic group to meet at 8:10 and everyone was ontime. The ship, however, was not quiteon time and people were not allowed off until 8:20. The line to get off looked like a Disneyworld line in peak season. It snakedthrough the Piazza, the art gallery, and all the way past the forwardelevators. Now I remember one reason Idon’t like larger ships. It was 8:40 bythe time we were off the ship.

We quickly met our guide, Joe, from “About Cork TaxiTours.” Once we were in the van Joe wentover the plan for the day and indicated they intended to add in an extra stopto our plan. We headed out by excellenthighway to the Rock of Cashel, arriving at 10:10. After buying our tickets we waited until10:30 for the next guided tour to begin.

The Rock of Cashel is quite an impressive site and we reallyenjoyed our guide for a while. When wewent in to see the inside of the cathedral a visiting choir wasperforming. Even without a roof, the acousticsin the cathedral are phenomenal. Aftertwo songs he moved us along to tour Cormac’s chapel. The guide gave a very through explanation ofthe restoration work taking place. Bythe time he was done with the chapel talk at least part of the group was readyto move on to our next location as it was already past 11:30. However, now the guide took us back to thecathedral where he went on for another 15 minutes.

Finally we headed back down the hill to the parking area andon to Cahir to see Cahir castle. Joesuggested that we forgo touring inside Cahir castle as we were behindschedule. We enjoyed seeing the outsideof this castle situated in the middle of a river in the center of Cahir. Next we went looking for lunch and all agreedwe did not want to spend the time for a sit down lunch. We did not see a “Grab and go” option nearbybut right across the street from the castle was The River House Café, acafeteria style place which ended up having excellent food. Still, it became a 45 minute stop.

Next we were back in the van and headed to see the SwissCottage,” an 18th century thatched-roof second home for the ownersof Cahir castle. This was an interesting15 minute stop. We continued in the vanover back roads (some VERY back-roads!) to Lismore. Lismore is a very pretty quiet town. Incredible floral displays abound and thevisitor’s center included a handicraft market where at least one of our groupmade a purchase.

Leaving Lismore we headed (on better roads) to Youghal. We were about out of time so it was a quickstop to take photos of the “Drive through clock tower” that is the only one ofits type in Ireland. We also noticedthat there are very wide tides in this area as the Youghal harbor had much ofthe harbor being just mud with ‘beached boats.’ Our guide told us this is a normal daily event. Next we headed back towards the ship,arriving at 4:30 (with a 5:30 all aboard). Our guide was paid and we thanked him for the enjoyable day.

If I had to do this day again I would have chosendifferently. While we certainly saw alot, we spent too much time in the van. We have no other tours planned on this trip with so much travel time andthat is a good thing.

As I recall, others had a perfectly nice "DIY" day. Many folks went to Blarney Castle. There is a "Tom's port guide" for Cobh if you like those.

All the best! Arie

Oh Jacqui, so sorry on the port change. I know first hand how much work you put into your port days. But as I was reminded yesterday too, change is constant. Icelandair cancelled our inbound flight and rebooked us on an overnight arriving at 06:20 the next morning. Hard on my condition and DH as the driver. But we will be starting our Icelandic adventure so I cancelled the hotel reservation for the first night and emailed the tour company regarding the car rental. I am sure you will come up with something epic. You can always get ideas from offered tours and plan when you get some free wifi or just see what interests you when you get to the port.

I am loving your pictures!

We're going to go DIY. Tourism is largely related to Titanic and other maritime matters. There's a Heritage museum with exhibits about Irish emigration, Titanic, and Lusitania. Cork/Cobh was Titanic's last port before heading across the Atlantic. Rescue efforts for Lusitania were mainly centered in Cobh, There's also the "Titanic Experience" which sounds a little touristy, but I plan to go. It's in the White Star ticket office. You can take a Titanic walking tour. There's a large cathedral. Enough to fill a day, especially if you throw in a pub stop (or two).

http://www.visitcobh.com/

Tours out of town seem to focus on the town of Kinsale and Blarney Castle. Or there's the city of Cork, which you can get to by train. Station is right by the dock.

That's all I've found so far. Check the roll call, because those of us not yet onboard are sharing info there, too.

We're going to go DIY. Tourism is largely related to Titanic and other maritime matters. There's a Heritage museum with exhibits about Irish emigration, Titanic, and Lusitania. Cork/Cobh was Titanic's last port before heading across the Atlantic. Rescue efforts for Lusitania were mainly centered in Cobh, There's also the "Titanic Experience" which sounds a little touristy, but I plan to go. It's in the White Star ticket office. You can take a Titanic walking tour. There's a large cathedral. Enough to fill a day, especially if you throw in a pub stop (or two).

http://www.visitcobh.com/

Tours out of town seem to focus on the town of Kinsale and Blarney Castle. Or there's the city of Cork, which you can get to by train. Station is right by the dock.

That's all I've found so far. Check the roll call, because those of us not yet onboard are sharing info there, too.

Thanks Kathy. I'm by the minute on board so not a lot of time to do internet searches. I'll hit the roll call - much appreciated <3

The problem with being a planner is it's hard to search on line, but we have a great library on the P'dam :D

Jacqui, I’m not seeing any cold fruit soups on the menu.

I’m hoping they haven’t been done away with.

Can you check please ?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That's a good point. If they are not on tonight, I will ask. They are often my dessert ;)

Busy day today.

who says that TA's are quiet? It all depends upon what you want to do ;)

I went to the digital workshop this morning for a talk on one drive (I do need help with that).

And then a quick bite and we were off the the round the world wine tasting.

And then bingo - just a few bingo buddies there but jettalea and I both scored some smal wins on bingo.

Captain announced that they will be offering bridge tours tomorrow and we are having the FIRST EVER block party on the P'dam. I'm not sure how this works, but apparently we get around the bell and there will be free drinks. Captain Dag said to come naked, in a bathrobe, curlers or a tuxedo, but COME. More details later. I am intrigued.

Our roll call should be in just the mood as we are doing our social wine tasting in our cabin tomorrow. LOL.

Busy day today.

who says that TA's are quiet? It all depends upon what you want to do ;)

I went to the digital workshop this morning for a talk on one drive (I do need help with that).

And then a quick bite and we were off the the round the world wine tasting.

And then bingo - just a few bingo buddies there but jettalea and I both scored some smal wins on bingo.

Captain announced that they will be offering bridge tours tomorrow and we are having the FIRST EVER block party on the P'dam. I'm not sure how this works, but apparently we get around the bell and there will be free drinks. Captain Dag said to come naked, in a bathrobe, curlers or a tuxedo, but COME. More details later. I am intrigued.

Our roll call should be in just the mood as we are doing our social wine tasting in our cabin tomorrow. LOL.

Jacqui, Captain Dag sure seems like a great Captain.

What a fun Idea of a block party!!! Just got caught up on your live thread today. I want to hear about the wine around the world and what was your favorite 🍷😊

Enjoy your TA looking forward to more pics.

Denise:)

Too bad about the switch but Ireland is lovely. We enjoyed the smaller town of Kinsale. I think there were some standing stones nearby as well. We also enjoyed the Swiss cottage. Could you rent a car?

And although The Cotswolds are my favourite, you really need several days there and it is easily done from London or Heathrow. So another time perhaps.

When we were in Cobh there was a train right next to the dock. We used it to go to a wildlife park right on the train’s route. Later, we took the train right into Cork, which has some fabulous food markets, shops, etc. Very easy to do. Loved our day in Cobh.

research Cork in the library

We've not been there yet so can't help but reports I have seen on CC indicate that Cobh is the prettier of the two but a small place in comparison. This might be the better for a wander and a bit of photography. Cork is the main place with the tourist places but not so attractive.

CC has 2 links to the same Cobh review.

https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=523815 which says nothing so don't bother with it.

Their own review at https://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/ports/newport.cfm?ID=5856 is better with a nice picture of the Gothic cathedral and painted houses. Their summary is

Pro

The gateway to County Cork, Cobh is located close to the city of Cork and is a top destination for Titanic buffs

Con

Cobh is a walkable town, but its steep roads could prove challenging for some cruisers

Bottom Line

Known for being the Titanic's last port of call, Cobh is a small town that offers some worthwhile historical sites

There are loads of pictures on Google maps, it does look a pretty place.