Appropriate Dress Question

Obviously I was referring to dressing for a cruise. Silk does not breathe, linen wrinkles badly, etc. I would guess that the majority of luxury cruisers (based on the age survey) are retired and have no clue what is being worn in the workplace (especially not in New York city which is completely different than what is worn on the west coast). When people on the east coast discuss not wearing white after a certain date (no idea what the date is), people on the west coast scratch their heads since there are no such rules for us. So, based on the differences in areas, it is not surprising that there is little if any silk available in Macy's and stores in our area.

P.S. If you look at the TB website that I linked in a previous post, there is no category for "silk" shirts yet people state that they have them. I am not doubting the posters but the fact that it is not on the TB website indicates to me that they may have been purchased a long time ago (or on the east coast).

TC2 - you are correct TB does not have a category of 'silk shirts' to filter to/search but if you look at the description of some of the individual shirts, they state '100% silk' so they do have them in stock currently. Personally I think some of the TB shirts might be suitable, some not so much (depending on the dining venue) but they are certainly popular it would seem! My husband would only wear them to the more casual dining venues (and has on Seabourn, we haven't sailed on Regent yet) but he only likes the more 'understated' versions (i.e. very plain!).

TC2 - you are correct TB does not have a category of 'silk shirts' to filter to/search but if you look at the description of some of the individual shirts, they state '100% silk' so they do have them in stock currently. Personally I think some of the TB shirts might be suitable, some not so much (depending on the dining venue) but they are certainly popular it would seem! My husband would only wear them to the more casual dining venues (and has on Seabourn, we haven't sailed on Regent yet) but he only likes the more 'understated' versions (i.e. very plain!).

Thank you for the explanation - I did not read the description of the shirts - just the categories. On this thread the TB shirts do sound very popular but I don't recall seeing that many at dinner on any of our cruises. Perhaps men were wearing the 'understated' versions and did not stand out. While not a style that I love, they aren't that bad......

Thank you for the explanation - I did not read the description of the shirts - just the categories. On this thread the TB shirts do sound very popular but I don't recall seeing that many at dinner on any of our cruises. Perhaps men were wearing the 'understated' versions and did not stand out. While not a style that I love, they aren't that bad......

I would think it would depend on the cruise...South Pacific, yes, New England no.

I have seen quite a few men wearing TB shirts on Regent cruises, and not just in the South Pacific. Although there is a dress code after 6:00pm, one will witness many different fashion options - some men prefer to wear a tie and jacket, while others prefer to be more casual. Please note - there are no fashion police on Regent cruises, other than for the no jeans rule after 6:00pm, almost anything goes within reason. From my travels I have learned that elegant casual can have many meanings, depending where you come from. Remember, you are on vacation - be comfortable and enjoy yourself - if someone wants to wear a TB shirt, no one will tap him on the shoulder and tell him it is inappropriate.

gnomie :)

I’m talking about comfort level of feeling you are properly dressed even though within code. We live in Texas and both of us have many tasteful items from TB and wear them often. So...years ago on a regent Caribbean cruise I took some tasteful TB sundresses with 3/4 sleeve light “sweaters” over them. They were perfect on Paul Gauguin a year earlier. I felt very out of place although not one person made a comment to me. So, I would still wear such on some cruises but not others. I think the decision needs to made on the particular item and what cruise. TB has some great solid shirts we both love so one can’t make a sweeping decision.

Okay all this talk has me wanting to ask about appropriate dinner dress.

We are new to Regent but not to cruising. Our previous preference is Celebrity and Oceania.

We like not dressing up( meaning cocktail dresses for me and suits for DH), we usually eat at the speciality restaurants every evening. In Compass Rose are polo shirts and slacks not appropriate? Are nice capris and a top?

For point of reference we are doing the HNL-PPT itinerary.

Help...lol

Okay all this talk has me wanting to ask about appropriate dinner dress.

We are new to Regent but not to cruising. Our previous preference is Celebrity and Oceania.

We like not dressing up( meaning cocktail dresses for me and suits for DH), we usually eat at the speciality restaurants every evening. In Compass Rose are polo shirts and slacks not appropriate? Are nice capris and a top?

For point of reference we are doing the HNL-PPT itinerary.

Help...lol

A polo shirt and slacks as well as capris (if they reach your ankle) and a top are fine. You will see a lot more people dressed that way than you will see TB shirts. Although you can dress the same way in the specialty restaurants, many men wear a dress shirt. For the Captain's Reception, I pair my slacks with a fancy top.

The dress code is very easy to follow. Just stay away from shorts, jeans, t-shirts, ball caps and tennis shoes after 6 pm.

Thank you all for the comments. I am likely going to bring some TB shirts for daytime around the ship and even shore excursions (it's a South Pacific cruise). I well also have some muted or plain TB shirts so I'll "play it by ear." We are experienced Royal Caribbean cruisers. Unlike many, we always abide by the Dress Code. That means I wear dockers or better and nice collared shirts to every dinner except Formal and then I wear a Tux. I will wear a TB shirt on "Caribbean Night" with a nice pair of linen pants. But usually that's it. So this is no real challenge for me. Seems that Regent's dress code is how we've always dressed. I've never been a "jeans on a cruise" guy except for shore excursions in colder climates (Norway or Alaska). I plan to bring jeans for New Zealand, but that's it.

One more question.... We are doing 3 segments from Honolulu to Sydney. Since it's 3 segments, 14 nights, 15 nights and 15 nights, I assume there will be no Formal Night? Also, I assume there will be 3 Captain's Receptions, one for each segment? And does anyone know what night the Captain's Reception usually falls on?

Thanks. Y'all are a fountain of information and it's greatly appreciated.

Have been cruising with Regent since 2001... regularly. Have been on all the ships. Cruised during cold and hot weather.

I've seen it ALL when it comes to how passengers dress. My husband and I are just amazed how things have changed...for the

worse regarding the dress code.

The Captain's Reception is generally the 2nd night and the Captain's Farewell is the second to the last night.

A tip about these two nights......... at the conclusion of the events most of the people in the theater head to CR and it becomes overwhelmed. So, I suggest either leaving the event at 6:30 p.m. and going to CR or waiting until 8:00 p.m. Dinner service will flow easier that way.

You have an amazing itinerary and you will have a wonderful time!

Papaflamingo/Margaret & Jim; have pasted below Regent's guidance on formal wear.

We will have two formal optional nites on the segment previous to your 3 segments. Our Miami to Honolulu 22 day segment (most likely as Travelcat notes the second evening on board (Oct 11th) and second to last evening (Oct 21st) will be designated as formal optional nites.

Ida requested we bring formal wear, so we plan to be in formal wear on these two nites (what ever day they fall on).

Looked at the 3 segment lengths your are on (14 days, 15 days, and 15 days) so per Regent guidance below, their most likely will be no official "formal optional" nite during your segments. However, you could still chose to dress up from the "elegant casual" dress code (to celebrate a special event, or just because u want too).

Look forward to meeting y'all on board!

Wes

The recommended onboard dress in the evenings is Elegant Casual. Dinner dress includes skirt, or slacks with blouse or sweater, pant suit or dress for ladies; slacks and collared shirt for gentlemen. Sport jackets are optional. Jeans, shorts, t-shirts or tennis shoes are not to be worn at dinner. Ties are not required. On sailings of 16 nights or more, Formal and Semi-Formal attire is optional on two evenings. On the two Formal Optional evenings, guests are welcome to dress as per the Elegant Casual dress code or opt for a more formal choice of clothing including gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies; tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with tie for gentlemen.

Thank you Travelcat and WesW. I am bringing a grey sport coat so I will plan sport coat with dark pants, tie, and white shirt. Won't be formal but more on the dressy side. WesW, looking forward to meeting you on board.

TC2, good info about dinner times. Fortunately my wife and I tend toward later dinners, so 8 pm is a good time for us. Will plan to go have a drink somewhere while the crowd thins.