SOL and Ellis tour..Where should we stay? Jersey City , Staten Island, Newark..

The most convenient if you don’t have a vehicle is actually a hotel in the financial district of manhattan within walking distance to Battery Park where you catch the ferry.

The ferry on the NJ side is located at Liberty State Park in Jersey City. I hope the NJ experts weigh in with options. It would involve a taxi or Uber to the park from the hotel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We only plan to tour The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island so where would be the most convenient city to stay over night before sailing on the Summit?

What is your hotel budget? What are your exact dates? What airport are you flying into? Are you only two people? These factors will determine your options when you add up the total costs of ground transportation and hotel.

If you're flying into Newark Airport your most budget and convenient options will be in NJ.

We only plan to tour The Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island so where would be the most convenient city to stay over night before sailing on the Summit?

Stay in Jersey City. You can taxi/uber to Liberty State Park and board the ferry there which goes first to Ellis Island and then onto Liberty Island. Do not use light rail to Liberty State Park. https://www.statuecruises.com/#/

The added benefit you get from staying in Jersey City is the view of lower Manhattan. Amazing view, especially at night with the building lighted.

Judi -

It appears you're not sailing until Oct, 2019. Are you driving or flying from New Mexico? You really need a full day to do the SOL. It would be difficult to fly in early enough from New Mexico by plane to check into any hotel and then get yourselves to the SOL with enough time to enjoy it.

Please provide as many details as possible about what you're thinking. If you have a car (or RV?), the recommendation is to go from Liberty State Park where you can park for $7. Otherwise the recommendation is to go from Battery Park/South Ferry in NYC.

Judi -

It appears you're not sailing until Oct, 2019. Are you driving or flying from New Mexico? You really need a full day to do the SOL. It would be difficult to fly in early enough from New Mexico by plane to check into any hotel and then get yourselves to the SOL with enough time to enjoy it.

Please provide as many details as possible about what you're thinking. If you have a car (or RV?), the recommendation is to go from Liberty State Park where you can park for $7. Otherwise the recommendation is to go from Battery Park/South Ferry in NYC.

You are correct 2019. We will be driving but normally we secure parking when we get to town so we don't have to drive in NYC.

We will take a full day for both if needed. I will get tickets before we arrive.

Last time we stayed in Newark and rode the Path into NYC . Which was great, your advice, thank you. We usually favor Choice Hotels. I am thinking Jersey City what do you think?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

You are correct 2019. We will be driving but normally we secure parking when we get to town so we don't have to drive in NYC.

We will take a full day for both if needed. I will get tickets before we arrive.

Last time we stayed in Newark and rode the Path into NYC . Which was great, your advice, thank you. We usually favor Choice Hotels. I am thinking Jersey City what do you think?

Thanks for all the replies. I appreciate it.

I would not stay in choice hotels in Jersey City. They are 1* and 2* hotels in a highly urban area that I could not in good conscience recommend plus they are not close to PATH. What is your hotel budget? To save money I would get within an hour+ plus outside Newark and then spend more money to be closer in the next night. Where did you stay in Newark the last time?

I would not stay in choice hotels in Jersey City. They are 1* and 2* hotels in a highly urban area that I could not in good conscience recommend plus they are not close to PATH. What is your hotel budget? To save money I would get within an hour+ plus outside Newark and then spend more money to be closer in the next night. Where did you stay in Newark the last time?

We stayed at BW before. I would be ok with $150. the location is more important than the hotel. We need somewhere near the ferry to the island. The night before the cruise we plan to stay where we can get a Park and Cruise.

Thanks

We stayed at BW before. I would be ok with $150. the location is more important than the hotel. We need somewhere near the ferry to the island. The night before the cruise we plan to stay where we can get a Park and Cruise.

Thanks

There are no hotels really near the SOL ferry in NJ.

I would suggest using the Ramada at EWR for your base. For the cruise book the park/sleep/cruise through trinityreservations.com for $240 tax included which offers a room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for 2 people. Book an extra night precruise with at the Ramada ( note: $15 parking may be charged). Sites like united.com and lastminutetravel.com usually offer the Ramada at a discount. This puts you in one hotel for your entire stay. The Trinity package is absolutely the best priced park/sleep/cruise option for Cape Liberty.

I know you're not keen on driving in the area, but driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City is the very easiest way to get to the SOL and Ellis Island. The NJ Turnpike Exit 14 entrance is right by the hotel. You go 2 exits to Exit 14B on the Turnpike extension and follow the signs to Liberty State Park. Parking is $7. It's about a 10-15 minute easy drive trip mostly on the Turnpike. This ferry is much more low key and underutilized than the ferry from Battery Park in Manhattan, which can be a mass mob scene. You can get to the World Trade Center via PATH, but you will have a 15-20 minute walk to the Battery Park SOL ferry. PATH is easily accessible only from the downtown Newark hotels like the BW Robert Treat or from the more expensive Jersey City hotels in the Newport area. There is also a Ramada at Journal Square in Jersey City, but IMO this is a much more congested urban area to deal with.

Should you wish to go to Manhattan from the SOL, there is a ferry back to Liberty State Park for $7/pp which runs until 7:45 or 8:45 pm. This leaves from the World Financial Center Terminal on Vesey St near World Trade. http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

There are no hotels really near the SOL ferry in NJ.

I would suggest using the Ramada at EWR for your base. For the cruise book the park/sleep/cruise through trinityreservations.com for $240 tax included which offers a room, 21 days parking, and round trip port transportation for 2 people. Book an extra night precruise with at the Ramada ( note: $15 parking may be charged). Sites like united.com and lastminutetravel.com usually offer the Ramada at a discount. This puts you in one hotel for your entire stay. The Trinity package is absolutely the best priced park/sleep/cruise option for Cape Liberty.

I know you're not keen on driving in the area, but driving to Liberty State Park in Jersey City is the very easiest way to get to the SOL and Ellis Island. The NJ Turnpike Exit 14 entrance is right by the hotel. You go 2 exits to Exit 14B on the Turnpike extension and follow the signs to Liberty State Park. Parking is $7. It's about a 10-15 minute easy drive trip mostly on the Turnpike. This ferry is much more low key and underutilized than the ferry from Battery Park in Manhattan, which can be a mass mob scene. You can get to the World Trade Center via PATH, but you will have a 15-20 minute walk to the Battery Park SOL ferry. PATH is easily accessible only from the downtown Newark hotels like the BW Robert Treat or from the more expensive Jersey City hotels in the Newport area. There is also a Ramada at Journal Square in Jersey City, but IMO this is a much more congested urban area to deal with.

Should you wish to go to Manhattan from the SOL, there is a ferry back to Liberty State Park for $7/pp which runs until 7:45 or 8:45 pm. This leaves from the World Financial Center Terminal on Vesey St near World Trade. http://www.libertylandingferry.com/

Sounds like a plan ..Thank you so much.

I have actually gone on the SOL ferry from Liberty State Park on a Sunday. Five of us were staying at the Courtyard Jersey City for a NYC wedding. We drove to Liberty State Park and paid $7 to park. No problem with the amount of parking space - it's actually a wide open desolate area that is hard to access except by driving or via the Liberty Landing ferry. The light rail station is about a mile away. Lack of good public transit significantly reduces the number of people who go to the SOL from NJ.

The others got off at Ellis Island, but I was exhausted and just rode the ferry round trip to go back to the hotel for a quick nap before the wedding. I walked across the field to the Liberty Landing ferry and rode across the channel to Warren St for $2. The light rail was about 4 blocks away, so I took that back to the Courtyard in the Newport area.

Security for the SOL is tight, so leave plenty of time to get to Liberty State Park, pick up tickets, walk out to the ferry, go through security, and get on the boat. You can see on the map that there is a bit of a walk from the large parking area out to the dock. When we were there tickets were being sold right by the parking area and then you had to hoof it out to the dock. I believe they recommend arriving AT LEAST a half hour before your scheduled departure. https://www.statuecruises.com/plan-your-trip/security-process

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/lsp_map.pdf

I have actually gone on the SOL ferry from Liberty State Park on a Sunday. Five of us were staying at the Courtyard Jersey City for a NYC wedding. We drove to Liberty State Park and paid $7 to park. No problem with the amount of parking space - it's actually a wide open desolate area that is hard to access except by driving or via the Liberty Landing ferry. The light rail station is about a mile away. Lack of good public transit significantly reduces the number of people who go to the SOL from NJ.

The others got off at Ellis Island, but I was exhausted and just rode the ferry round trip to go back to the hotel for a quick nap before the wedding. I walked across the field to the Liberty Landing ferry and rode across the channel to Warren St for $2. The light rail was about 4 blocks away, so I took that back to the Courtyard in the Newport area.

Security for the SOL is tight, so leave plenty of time to get to Liberty State Park, pick up tickets, walk out to the ferry, go through security, and get on the boat. You can see on the map that there is a bit of a walk from the large parking area out to the dock. When we were there tickets were being sold right by the parking area and then you had to hoof it out to the dock. I believe they recommend arriving AT LEAST a half hour before your scheduled departure. https://www.statuecruises.com/plan-your-trip/security-process

https://www.state.nj.us/dep/parksandforests/parks/maps/lsp_map.pdf

I was just there on a Sunday last month. The ticket line was very short (we booked online, ds20 forgot his drivers license, they let him prove his identity by pulling up his Facebook page), short walk to the almost hour long line for security (it was early afternoon). We were late for our timed tickets to the crown, not an issue. Only short waits getting on the ferry after the first time, and the ferry rides are very short.