Southampton hotel to Stonehenge by public transport question

Hello;

We are staying one day precruise in Southampton ( Room 2 Southampton on Queen's Terrace) and would like to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury by train/bus.

We plan to visit Stonehenge on a Friday.

Can someone help us with:

1/ the best way to go from the hotel to the train/bus station. We are fit and can walk but is it worthed or can we just be lazy and take a taxi?

2/ which train? where to buy ticket? should we buy train ticket in advance or at the station?

3/ I know we have to buy Stonehenge tickets in advance, are the tickets time specific? If we plane to leave Southampton at 9:00am, what time should we get the Stonehenge tickets for?

4/ once we arrive at Salisbury, how do we go from the train station to Stonehenge?

5/ Is the return trip exactly the same way in opposite direction?

Sorry for all the questions, I tried to read all the advices here on CC but I just get confused.

Thank you.

Hello;

We are staying one day precruise in Southampton ( Room 2 Southampton on Queen's Terrace) and would like to visit Stonehenge and Salisbury by train/bus.

We plan to visit Stonehenge on a Friday.

Can someone help us with:

1/ the best way to go from the hotel to the train/bus station. We are fit and can walk but is it worthed or can we just be lazy and take a taxi?

2/ which train? where to buy ticket? should we buy train ticket in advance or at the station?

3/ I know we have to buy Stonehenge tickets in advance, are the tickets time specific? If we plane to leave Southampton at 9:00am, what time should we get the Stonehenge tickets for?

4/ once we arrive at Salisbury, how do we go from the train station to Stonehenge?

5/ Is the return trip exactly the same way in opposite direction?

Sorry for all the questions, I tried to read all the advices here on CC but I just get confused.

Thank you.

We had the same plan except that we had more days. John Bull was so helpful and he will probably chime in here. Also looking back at previous posts helped me very much.

We asked at our hotel (Southampton Harbour Hotel and Spa) before arriving about the best way to get to the train station. They didn’t recommend walking. We recall that a taxi was about 10-12 GBP.

We bought our tickets to Salisbury at the station and there wasn’t much of a line. It’s easy. Just tell them you want to go to Salisbury (buy a return if you want to come back to Southampton). We went at @10AM. Once at Salisbury we were able to buy our tickets for the HOHO bus directly from the driver. He’s parked right as you exit the station. You don’t have to buy a separate ticket to enter Stonehenge. Your timed entry is included in your HOHO trip. It was all very easy as others had assured me. My only caveat is that the trains were crowded and schedules seemed capricious. Later I heard from locals that this is normal.

Also I would try to get out to Stonehenge as early as possible.

You didn’t ask but this is my opinion. Salisbury and its cathedral are much more relaxing and fun than the stones. So once you’ve seen them and take your photos, get back to town and experience the town, cathedral and see the Magna Carta.

Then it’s easy to walk (or ride hoho) back to the station and hop on the next train. We enjoyed Salisbury very much.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

. John Bull was so helpful and he will probably chime in here.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Did someone call my name? ;)

Pickypicky is right on the button.

If you use the train and Stonehenge ho-ho bus, don't buy your timed Stonehenge tickets in advance on the Stonehenge website, and no need to buy your train tickets in advance.

Your hotel is a little closer to Southampton central rail station than pickypicky's and it's a level walk, but something over a mile / 20-25 mins and a little complicated. Your choice to walk or call for a taxi (about £8 - £9), but inclement weather might sway your decision.

Me? I'd ask the hotel to call a taxi to the station but consider walking back at the end of the day. But you're not me, and there's a taxi stand at the station.

On a Friday there are direct trains to Salisbury approx. every 30 mins, journey time about 35 mins. Buy train tickets at the station & ask for return (round-trip) tickets - cost is about £11pp. It's simpler and no more expensive than buying in advance (others beware - on longer journeys it can be a lot cheaper), and it avoids wasting that money if your plans change. The only downside is a line at the station ticket booth, it's very rarely a long one. Pay with GBP or plastic.

There are no regular bus routes that pass Stonehenge, so the Stonehenge ho-ho is a no-brainer.

The frequency (hourly or half-hourly) and the times of the first & last ho-ho bus depend on the time of year, so choose your train time accordingly.

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/

As pickypicky has posted, the ho-ho picks up on the station forecourt.

The green bus on this streetview

https://goo.gl/maps/bWmQQtJ9ddU2

Buy your Stonehenge tickets from the ho-ho driver, using GBP or plastic You can alternatively buy your combined ho-ho and Stonehenge tickets in advance on the ho-ho website but that's a lot of wasted money if your plans change.

Whereas those driving to Stonehenge independently are strongly advised to pre-book a timed arrival via the Stonehenge website (half-hour arrival slot) in case the place reaches capacity, tickets issued by the ho-ho (and other tour coaches) are any-time - your entry will not be delayed.

Expect to be at Stonehenge for about 90 minutes - but because of ho-ho times that'll be 60 mins or 90 mins if your date isn't during the summer season.

Consider hopping off at Old Sarum on the way back if you have the time & inclination - and if the weather is decent, because it's quite exposed. It does involve a 10 - 15 min walk from the road.

From the Old Sarum bus stop your ho-ho tickets are good on any Salisbury Reds bus to the city centre.

Salisbury city centre is attractive and historic, and the locals friendly and laid-back.

Do make time for an inside visit to the cathedral. It's quite stunning. And it houses one of the four original Magna Cartas and the world's reputedly oldest clock.

Then return to the station on foot (about 15 mins), or taxi, or local bus, or ho-ho if one is conveniently timed.

BTW, your hotel is a little way from Southampton's new restaurant mall at West Quay, but there's a selection of restaurants & pubs behind your hotel in Oxford Street. Or about a 5 to 10 min walk along the waterfront on Town Quay to the Platform Tavern (pub/restaurant, a bit spit-and-sawdust but with live music), La Regata (Spanish) or Ennio's (Italian) both excellent but a little more expensive, The Dancing Man (pub food & micro-brewery in the historic stone Wool House), or the Duke of Wellington (historic pub/restaurant in Bugle Street, around the corner from the Dancing Man & popular with cruisers)

From your hotel Ocean cruise terminal is a very easy 7 min walk, even with rolling luggage.

City cruise terminal about 15 mins on foot or about £7 by taxi

Mayflower terminal needs a taxi, as does QE11 terminal which is only 10 mins on foot but is deep in the docks with heavy truck traffic and poor sidewalk in places.

JB :)

Thank you very much pickypicky and John.

As usual, I knew that if I ask, I will get woderfully detailed replies.

We are booked at the Room2 Southampton but it is fully refundable. Is there a better hotel in term of location ( and of course quality and price)? We need 2 rooms since we are 3.

I was considering an apartment but I am not sure that there is AC and with the recent heat wave, I am sure that it will be scorching when we will be there.

Just a quick question: how much is the HOHO + Stonehenge ticket?

Thank you.

Just a quick question: how much is the HOHO + Stonehenge ticket?

Thank you.

It is currently 30£ and includes “skip the line” access at Stonehenge. We also stopped at Old Sarum and spent the remainder of our afternoon in Salisbury and took the 7:00 train back to Southampton. We followed JBs instructions from the Premier Inn West quay a few years ago and it was very easy and stress free.

I had never heard of Room2.

Unsurprising because it opened only last month (a conversion from offices) and is in a small new chain (it seems just two hotels to date) and apparently a new concept.

Gets plenty of very good reviews on TripAdvisor and on www.booking.com (which I trust more because only guests can review), and there's nothing much wrong with the location, close to the city's few sights & close enough (10 - 15 min walk) to the shopping centre.

But there are plenty of decent hotels in marginally more-convenient locations. Most are modern cloned chain hotels like Holiday Inn or Premier Inn West Quay (both popular with cruisers) but a few more characterful like the Mercure Dolphin (gets mixed reviews) and boutiques like the afore-mentioned Ennio's and the Pig-in-the-Wall.

A précis of city hotels here https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm and a useful thumbnail map at the bottom of that page. Room2 not yet on there, but it's by the one-way-street arrow below "Oxford Street"

This year's heatwave was exceptional, sadly we can't rely on that sort of weather & last week we returned to our usual "will it, won't it?" weather.

Aircon is something we don't usually concern ourselves with in the UK, virtually no homes have it and modern offices tend to have it purely because of the amount of glass used and the inability to open high-rise windows - and that's probably why Room2 has it..

Ho-ho + Stonehenge ticket prices on the ho-ho website that I linked - you'll see that it depends on your party size / kids and inclusions.

I don't think the ho-ho has a premium-pay line-jumping facility :p

JB,

We will be on a B2B this coming October on the Navigator of the Seas. We are planning on using your detailed instructions...thank you.

Can we visit Stonehenge and the Cathedral in Salisbury during the turnaround day and make it back on time? We dock at 5:30 am and ship leaves at 4:30pm.

What is the earliest train from Southampton to Salisbury?

What would be the latest/last train to take from Salisbury back to Southampton?

What time will the HOHO bus start operating/running outside the Salisbury train station?

What time will Stonehenge be open for visitors?

Thanks again!

JB,

We will be on a B2B this coming October on the Navigator of the Seas. We are planning on using your detailed instructions...thank you.

Can we visit Stonehenge and the Cathedral in Salisbury during the turnaround day and make it back on time? We dock at 5:30 am and ship leaves at 4:30pm.

What is the earliest train from Southampton to Salisbury?

What would be the latest/last train to take from Salisbury back to Southampton?

What time will the HOHO bus start operating/running outside the Salisbury train station?

What time will Stonehenge be open for visitors?

Thanks again!

Sadly I don't think Salisbury plus Stonehenge is going to be possible, for a couple of reasons.......

The ho-ho from Salisbury will be on its Autumn (Fall) timetable. The first ho-ho of the day from Salisbury will be 10am and equally importantly the service will only be hourly.

With a 4.30pm sailing, back-on-board time would normally be 4pm if Southampton were a mid-cruise port-of-call.

But you're effectively starting a fresh cruise. I don't know if you have to re-register to get back on board (usually a min of 90 mins or two hours before sailing), but I have a strong suspicion that you might be required back in time for muster (lifeboat) drill.

You really need to find out from the cruise line what time you have to be back at the ship, and with my supreme lack of confidence in what any cruise line head office knows :rolleyes: - good luck with that !!

Also bear in mind....

If it's a sunday you'll have difficulty accessing the cathedral since it's used for church services.

And trains to Salisbury are less frequent on a sunday.

And on saturdays & sundays Stonehenge is likely to be busy, even in October.

If the back-on-board time is indeed 4.00 pm then if all goes smoothly it's possible to take the 9.10am train to Salisbury, then that 10am ho-ho, have an hour at Stonehenge (shouldn't be problematic on an October weekday) and 90 minutes to two hours in Salisbury before heading back from Salisbury station on the 2.33pm train, leaving the 2.56pm train as a back-up.

An earlier back-on-board time is likely to mean choosing Stonehenge or Salisbury.

For just Salisbury - the 8.30 or 8.37 train means being in Salisbury around 9 - 9.30, when places are opening-up.

Or for just Stonehenge - the 9.10 train for the 10am Stonehenge ho-ho,

But with an hour at Stonehenge the earliest return would be the 11.43 ho-ho from Stonehenge to Salisbury station for the 12.33 train to Southampton and a taxi to the ship by about 1.20pm.

Given the choice I'd plump for Salisbury.

Stonehenge takes longer, costs more, and is a little more complicated. And it's just a stack of rocks to those of us with no soul :o

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

http://www.thestonehengetour.info/timetable

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/visit/places/stonehenge/prices-and-opening-times

Two other possibilities if back-on-board time is early.

If the ship is offering a Salisbury + Stonehenge tour, then that's the way to go. I'm no fan of ships' tours, but it makes sense when timing is tight.

Or a private car service. This would get you to Stonehenge for its 9.30am opening, and you'd not be tied to the ho-ho's hourly timetable so you could spend as much of your time as you like at Stonehenge & the rest in Salisbury. But it would of course be expensive, And unlike Stonehenge tickets from the ho-ho or a ship's tour (which both have skip-the-line rights) you'd be wise to pre-book timed Stonehenge tickets on-line.

I wouldn't advise renting a car because of the time taken to collect & return and the parking difficulties in Salisbury.

There are other places instead of Salisbury or Stonehenge.

You really need to know your back-on-board time before figuring your options

Even if you are not an Anglican, Salisbury has one of the best choirs in the world and the Sunday Eucharist at Salisbury Cathedral is a memorable occasion. (Starts at 10:30)

Procession played a great role in the Sarum Rite, as it does in our worship today. So do colour, music, scripture, and use of light and darkness. As we trace the seasons and the festivals of the Christian year in our worship, the music, the texts and the appearance of the Cathedral’s interior itself change as we reflect on different aspects of the life of Jesus, and the journey of faith.

We seek to provide thoughtful and challenging preaching, great congregational hymns in which everyone can join, and a welcome which reflects something of the nature of the God we seek to worship here.

https://www.salisburycathedral.org.uk/worship-music/salisbury-liturgy

To Stefanny...thank you for starting this thread...great information. Happy Sailing and have a great time in Salisbury.

To JB...thank you for your extremely detailed responses. We cannot fully express how grateful we are for all your contributions on Cruise Critic. Like Stefanny, we are looking forward to visiting Salisbury Cathedral. Our turn-around day on our B2B is on Nov. 5th, a Monday.

(...and how did we decide on Salisbury instead of Stonehenge?...because JB said Stonehenge is only a stack of stones. :D:D:D )