Oceania vs Crystal

Sny

On Riviera, there was very few announcements made. We saw little plugging of the store sales. The sidewalk sales were small & had decent quality merch. None of that gold by the in. garbage. Peter the CD really has really wild outfits, which add to the fun. We hope he's the CD when we do 14 days next Jan. again on Riviera.

We've been cruising on Oceania about 9 years. It's rather obvious that the announcements have increased over the past few years. Compared to Celebrity no, it doesn't seem like much, but they've definitely increased.

I noticed it depends on the CD some just like to hear themselves over the loudspeaker I think

Less chatter about event during the day let people read the CURRENTS for themselves

JMO

Thanks Paul for your opinions & comments on your experience

Enjoy the rest of your trip & HI to Marsha

Lynn,

Thank you for the good wishes.

It’s good to see you back - you’ve been missed (at least by me :))

On Riviera, there was very few announcements made. We saw little plugging of the store sales. The sidewalk sales were small & had decent quality merch. None of that gold by the in. garbage. Peter the CD really has really wild outfits, which add to the fun. We hope he's the CD when we do 14 days next Jan. again on Riviera.

We just returned from 10 days on Riviera. No Peter the CD. CD was Corey Powell. Worst ever in terms of constant constant announcements reading/repeating many times scheduled events in Currents and touting sales in shops and bingo. I complained and was told that announcements are limited to 3 times a day. Corey exceeded that number every day. Because we missed some ports and stopped at alternative ones, some extra announcements were required...I am not complaining about those which gave necessary new information...just found the repetitive yak yak yak of info we already had ready access to very unprofessional and irritating.That guy belongs on Carnival. And BTW he was exceedingly slow and uninspiring conducting trivia.

Edited by edgee
Add'l information.

Lyn, more than a few have missed you! Welcome back.

As to announcements -- we haven't noticed an increase. We haven't been on Riviera ... yet! But were on Marina in November and certainly weren't bothered by them.

Mura

We just returned from 10 days on Riviera. No Peter the CD. CD was Corey Powell. Worst ever in terms of constant constant announcements reading/repeating many times scheduled events in Currents and touting sales in shops and bingo. I complained and was told that announcements are limited to 3 times a day. Corey exceeded that number every day. Because we missed some ports and stopped at alternative ones, some extra announcements were required...I am not complaining about those which gave necessary new information...just found the repetitive yak yak yak of info we already had ready access to very unprofessional and irritating.That guy belongs on Carnival. And BTW he was exceedingly slow and uninspiring conducting trivia.

Perhaps they are only doing what they have been instructed to do by the home office. I really don't think it's a CD by CD choice.

No matter what others have or haven't heard there has definitely been an increase in the past few years in the frequency of announcements. Perhaps some that haven't heard them are either off the ship on in their rooms.

Many of them are completely unnecessary, but I feel the same way about most of the noon day announcements by the Captain.

FWIW, I actually like Corey much better than some other CDs. I think he does a fine job.

Perhaps they are only doing what they have been instructed to do by the home office. I really don't think it's a CD by CD choice.

No matter what others have or haven't heard there has definitely been an increase in the past few years in the frequency of announcements. Perhaps some that haven't heard them are either off the ship on in their rooms.

Many of them are completely unnecessary, but I feel the same way about most of the noon day announcements by the Captain.

FWIW, I actually like Corey much better than some other CDs. I think he does a fine job.

Two years ago I was on a 16 day cruise on Marina. Julie James was the cruise director. I thanked her for not making many announcements. She smiled and replied that Oceania guests "are not stupid"...and pointed out that they can read in the Currents what the activities are and that it would be rude to disturb them with unnecessary announcements. My sentiments exactly.

Two years ago I was on a 16 day cruise on Marina. Julie James was the cruise director. I thanked her for not making many announcements. She smiled and replied that Oceania guests "are not stupid"...and pointed out that they can read in the Currents what the activities are and that it would be rude to disturb them with unnecessary announcements. My sentiments exactly.

Julie is far and away our favorite cruise director and we have been on with many of them in 26 cruises.

• 1 month later...
This thread has made me feeling more excited about our three upcoming crystal cruises. We have splurged and booked suites. I think we are going to be very happy. All 3 cruises have lots of sea days and we are looking forward to all the great activities. Food is not our first consideration but I doubt we will have complaints

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

bitob,

I am looking forward to hearing about your experiences after your first Crystal cruise which, if I remember correctly, is sometimes this month.

I hope it lived up to your expectations.

Paul

Edited by Paulchili

What a wonderful discussion. After many years of sailing exclusively on Crystal, my sister and I are seriously considering O for a short cruise, just to try. Thanks for helping us in our decision.