and so it begins....Dec/Jan Circumnavigation of Australia on Regatta

cbb

Many thanks to both of you for blog AND pics! We're going in Dec of this year on Regent circumnavigation. We've done it once before, but looking forward to doing it again. Hope we can endure the heat. We don't do too well in humidity.

clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Thanks again:cool:

Many thanks to both of you for blog AND pics! We're going in Dec of this year on Regent circumnavigation. We've done it once before, but looking forward to doing it again. Hope we can endure the heat. We don't do too well in humidity.

clear.png?emoji-cool-1690

Thanks again:cool:

I think the hottest place we visited was in Darwin though Bali was also hot. We were lucky when we visited Cairns as we went to Palm Cove on the first afternoon and there was a lovely cool breeze coming off the ocean. The next day we visited Mossman Gorge and Cape Tribulation and again I don't think the heat was too bad.

Enjoy.

Jennie

When we were there before it was REALLY hot in Darwin and also Broome. That was in October.........not summer! We took 5 days in the outback and the flies were bad there. Anyway, we're looking forward to it and there's always the a/c on the ship.

Thanks again for the tips

• 1 year later...

OK, I realize this post is very old, but I'm about to go to Australia, and had a question: 

I've read much of the thread, but I keep seeing references to a blog with pictures.  If someone could post the URL for that blog, I'd love to see it!  

2 hours ago, roothy123 said:

OK, I realize this post is very old, but I'm about to go to Australia, and had a question: 

I've read much of the thread, but I keep seeing references to a blog with pictures.  If someone could post the URL for that blog, I'd love to see it!  

Hi am Aussie Gal and CBB were our friends Cynthia and Dave who did the blog.

Hopefully this link will get you to their blog.  Just look for Circumference of Australia when you find their blogs.

drdavebradley.blogspot.com

Jennie

1 hour ago, Aussie Gal said:

Hi am Aussie Gal and CBB were our friends Cynthia and Dave who did the blog.

Hopefully this link will get you to their blog.  Just look for Circumference of Australia when you find their blogs.

drdavebradley.blogspot.com

Jennie

Edited by roothy123

Thanks Jennie!  Are you home from Bali?

We're packing for ATW20 and Luggage Forward comes Dec 23 to ship 4 bags (2 each) to the ship.  Can't wait!!!

We hope to maintain the blog on our cruise.  I won't be writing on CC.

Thanks again.  Hope it is useful Roothy 123.  We love Australia!

Edited by cbb
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, cbb said:

Thanks Jennie!  Are you home from Bali?

We're packing for ATW20 and Luggage Forward comes Dec 23 to ship 4 bags (2 each) to the ship.  Can't wait!!!

We hope to maintain the blog on our cruise.  I won't be writing on CC.

Thanks again.  Hope it is useful Roothy 123.  We love Australia!

Hi Cynthia,  we have been home from Bali and the cruise from Hong Kong to Sydney since October. We spent most of November up north in FNQ.  Two weeks at Palm Cove where we drove you all on Christmas Day and then a week at Port Douglas.  We had wonderful weather and loved every minute up there. We are now home getting ready for Christmas.  I am looking forward to reading your Blog when you finally leave.  I know you will both have a wonderful time. Am quite envious!

Jennie

Jennie,

I had your vacation exactly the opposite from what you two did!  I thought you were up north first, then Bali....oops!!

Yes, we're very excited about our impending cruise.  We've done massive research for each port that we haven't been to, signed up as quickly as we could for the Overlands, and this week we've begun packing. 

We're not celebrating Christmas with family this year as they are using the Munchkin's school holiday break to do their own travels out of the country...so I'm excited for them. 

Merry Christmas Down Under and a Happy New Year!  David and I celebrate New Year's when we see the video of the fireworks over the Sydney Opera House!  Hugs to you both!!

Peter and I wish you and Dave a wonderful Christmas and a very happy New Year. We are spending Christmas with my sister and brother in law together with our son Rich and his friend.  On Boxing Day we are off to the MCG with our daughter Jane and the rest of the family to watch the Test (cricket) between Australia and New Zealand.  We will then go down to Red Hill a few days later and given them all our Chrissie gifts. 

The Overlands sound interesting. I think you mentioned you were going to the Himalayas.  Do you get to fly to Katmandu or somewhere similar?  Enjoy, look after yourselves and report back as we will be travelling with you through your photos and descriptions.

Jennie

Cbb and Dr Dave...  happy holidays and have a wonderful cruise!!  I'm looking to reading your blog and seeing both of your wonderful pics!

We're over at Or coast and enjoying our new condo.  There are several NOAA ships in our harbor as Newport is the West coast headquarters.  Our Or State U also has ships and a big oceanography program.  So it's sort of like being on a cruise ship from our condo lanai:)

Palakika

thanks everybody!  Pinotlover it was so nice meeting you.

Palakika--your Dr Dave doing well?  2 years ago we traveled south along the Wash and Oregon Coast and fell in love with its beauty!  Well done getting a new condo there!

Jennie--hope this works for you to see what we're doing in the Himalayas:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/around-the-world-cruises/miami-to-san-francisco-INS200108H/hotels/overland/3/?sr=%2fcruise-finder%2f%23sailDates%3d2020|01%23destinations%3d180dayworld#land-program-102

17 minutes ago, cbb said:

thanks everybody!  Pinotlover it was so nice meeting you.

Palakika--your Dr Dave doing well?  2 years ago we traveled south along the Wash and Oregon Coast and fell in love with its beauty!  Well done getting a new condo there!

Jennie--hope this works for you to see what we're doing in the Himalayas:  https://www.oceaniacruises.com/around-the-world-cruises/miami-to-san-francisco-INS200108H/hotels/overland/3/?sr=%2fcruise-finder%2f%23sailDates%3d2020|01%23destinations%3d180dayworld#land-program-102

Thanks so much Cynthia, it worked a treat.  How many of the Overland excursions are you going to do.  There are so many of them.  If you do them all you will be exhausted though if you haven't visited any of them before, it is so very tempting.

Jennie

Jennie-  we're doing what i call the 5 "P"s --my way of attempting to remember them!  m Picchu, Patagonian Penguins & iguazu, Pandas, victoria falls & mana Pools, & nePal.  Convoluted yes, but i can repeat them easily! 

We did several of the others on ATW16 and there are many more opportunities for safaris this time.  Part of the fun of the Overlands with O, for us, are the amazing hotels we stay in.  We didn't anticipate that!

We have also received permission to leave the ship in Lome, Togo and are flying to Cape Town to stay for a week DIY.  We'll rejoin the ship there, spend the night, and then leave the next day for the Victoria Falls adventure. 

David and I keep telling people that we have to do these cruises and adventures while we still have the agility and stamina--we'll soon see if we still have both!!

1 hour ago, cbb said:

Jennie-  we're doing what i call the 5 "P"s --my way of attempting to remember them!  m Picchu, Patagonian Penguins & iguazu, Pandas, victoria falls & mana Pools, & nePal.  Convoluted yes, but i can repeat them easily! 

We did several of the others on ATW16 and there are many more opportunities for safaris this time.  Part of the fun of the Overlands with O, for us, are the amazing hotels we stay in.  We didn't anticipate that!

We have also received permission to leave the ship in Lome, Togo and are flying to Cape Town to stay for a week DIY.  We'll rejoin the ship there, spend the night, and then leave the next day for the Victoria Falls adventure. 

David and I keep telling people that we have to do these cruises and adventures while we still have the agility and stamina--we'll soon see if we still have both!!

Cynthia - that sounds like a wonderful trip - especially the overlands.  Bhutan will amaze you.

Enjoy! 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

Paul,

thanks for the affirmation this morning.  I worked for 2 days trying to get David and I from Lome to J'burg to Victoria Falls airport and back to J'burg then on to CTown--would have made for some very long days.

So I gave up and vowed...."another day another cruise" and lo and behold....O slipped in the Vic Falls Overland for us and I'm betting if we weren't the 1st to sign up we were in the top 5! 

So Iguazu and Vickie Falls all in one cruise!!!  Plus Bhutan and MPichu....and Patagonia Penguins...and.....and...

so as you can see I'm pretty excited. 

O books some amazing hotels for these Overlands and that's half the fun of them, ie, drinks at the top of a New Delhi Hotel at sunset,  our hotel and dinner in Luxor right on the Nile, and the sweep of the savannah seen out our floor-to-ceiling windows on a safari.  Whew! 

11 hours ago, cbb said:

You will love those Overlands.  Fortunately, we have been to most of them in our travels. Yes I agree with you, do it while you are young and able and certainly have the stamina.  I know that we are slowing down and we wouldn't be able to keep up with the schedule that you are doing on the Nepal/Bhutan trip. I just hope that most of those who have booked the Overlands are as fit and well as you and Dave. Nothing worse than having to wait for the slowest and running behind schedule. I must go in to the link you gave me and look at your other trips. It is certainly a great RTW cruise with so much to choose from.  We did a couple of Overlands with Oceania back in 2008 and they certainly know how to organize a great excursion.

Jennie

Jennie-- 

nothing like sitting on a tile floor (even on a small pillow) packing for 3 days to make me wonder just how agile and how much stamina I have!!!  However, I am ready to declare victory and now off to a cocktail party and then down the beach to watch the community countdown to turning Christmas lights on.

There's just something about white lights twining up palm trees to put us in the holiday spirit---and to see Santa in his board shorts!!!

Cynthia (CBB) - I see you are planning to go to Victoria falls on the 2020 w/c - saw a report today that due to extreme drought the flow is a mere trickle compared to normal - not much to see .  Not sure when rainy season starts again.  Check it out before spending big $$