changes to purchase of drinks and drink packages on Royal Carribbean

korky1

Our last RCI cruise was about 15 months ago. Back then, I could purchase the drink package for myself only as my husband doesn't drink alcohol. Is it true that now both people have to purchase it? Also, have Royal started adding a surcharge to drinks purchased that are not part of a package?. I think I read that an 18% surcharge is added to the price of each drink. They used to charge a surcharge when they first came to Australia but stopped that for a while.

Any clarification on this would be most appreciated.

thanks

Yes, as of last month it is necessary for both in the cabin to purchase the package.

The 18% surcharge you mention is actually gratuities for the bar staff. This is their standard approach worldwide. However, while sailing in Australian waters they adjust the pricing to make it inclusive. As such the listed price rises, and the gratuity is removed. The end amount paid is basically the same (subject to rounding).

No, if one adult passenger doesn't drink you only need to phone Royal Caribbean and book one drink package. The other person in the cabin will have to buy the refreshment package though :) . Also on all Australian and NZ cruises surcharges and gratuities etc are built into the price you pay.

Just off the Explorer yesterday and one person can in fact buy the ultimate package as stated by poster above as long as the other buys a refreshment or soda package, this must be done by calling RCI direct and paying on the phone,this cannot be done online in "my booking" as there is no option to buy just 1 they will always charge all adults for the ultimate .

It is way cheaper to buy before you cruise, my 10 nighter was $74AU per pax online and it was $71US onboard and some were allowed to buy just one package onboard, sales structures are different once onboard and they advertise the package every day until your on your way home.

All drinks package or individual include the 18% grat on Aussie sailings.

Four years ago the package we bought was not really worth it in my opinion but this new package is much more economical with the coffee fresh juice sparkling water and bottled water included, surprisingly we did not need to over drink this time to match the cost price each day and most days I was well over $100AUS spend, My wife did not drink at all in excess but was at the cost or close to it each day even on our semi dry days.

If you are not sure if its worth it or not then the final bill is the only way to tell you the awnser because everyones drinking habits are different. Remember drinks on RCI are pricey. $3.50US for a small bottle of water $4.00US for a soda.

We did not get charged any extra for the most expensive drinks that were over the advertised package limmit,we were given anything we wanted, I think this may just be individual bar tenders choice though with many suggesting top shelf cocktails with ++ premium shots.

We also did not get charged corkage when sharing our bubbly with table guests, this may or maynot be because we had the package? but it makes sence, charge me to drink my own then I will just drink the ships instead!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

We are sailing on RCL in April, and I am keeping an eye on the drinks packages, but right now our sailing is nearly $80AU - a down side to our strengthening dollar, I guess. Even at this price, it will probably work cheaper than waiting until on board to purchase them, so I am think of buying in now.

Can anyone tell me if the price goes down after I purchase, can I cancel the packages and rebook at the lower price?

Hello,

We are sailing on RCL in April, and I am keeping an eye on the drinks packages, but right now our sailing is nearly $80AU - a down side to our strengthening dollar, I guess. Even at this price, it will probably work cheaper than waiting until on board to purchase them, so I am think of buying in now.

Can anyone tell me if the price goes down after I purchase, can I cancel the packages and rebook at the lower price?

Actually if our dollar strengthens against the US dollar the price would get lower not higher.

On board I believe the current price is US$71 which once converted is significantly dearer than AUD$80.

Yes you can cancel and rebook at a cheaper price, keep in mind it normally takes about 5 days for the refund to hit the card you paid with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are sailing with RCI in April and there has been some drink package specials on & off over the last 4 months

I had purchased a soda package for my son and when it went on sail I cancelled and repurchased at the cheaper rate.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hello,

Yes, if the price goes down you simply cancel and rebook the new price. You have nothing to lose. There might be cheaper prices and they seem to be random so keep checking!!

Hi, can someone please tell me the average cost of mocktails on Royal Caribbean? I'm on Ovation in about 3 weeks and they have the Refreshment Package reduced by 30% at the moment. I don't drink soft drink at all but I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile for me as I can get fresh orange juice and coffee too ....

Hi, can someone please tell me the average cost of mocktails on Royal Caribbean? I'm on Ovation in about 3 weeks and they have the Refreshment Package reduced by 30% at the moment. I don't drink soft drink at all but I'm wondering if it's still worthwhile for me as I can get fresh orange juice and coffee too ....

I saw that too, tried to book it for our Radiance cruise, but when I buy it, it comes up at full price??

I'm trying to work out if the discount price is $27.41 or if its $27.41 - 30% being $8.22 = $19.09 per day.

Using prices from posts/replies from the ever helpful Bob as at Aug 2017 (which I converted into $AUD) as per below it would be worthwhile.

A 12oz can of soda is around $5.05c. Premium coffees in the $3.75 to $6.30 range, Fresh squeezed OJ around $5. Something like a virgin pina colada would be around $6.30 AU

Bottled water is about $2.50 -$3au

I was thinking it would worth it on sea days, but not quite so much on port days although a morning latte, a bottle of water to take off ship, an OJ or 2 at breakfast & a couple of mocktails (he calls them virgin cocktails) would add up quite quickly.

Guess I'll have to call them tomorrow morning to see if my 1st March on Radiance is one of gthe cruises included in the offer.

Thanks reedy8 .... $27.41 is the discounted price as when I was checking previously it was around $38. The offer expires today so I've booked it now as I think I will come out ahead going by the prices you've mentioned. I had a $30AUD credit too which brings it down to about $22 a day for me ....

When I log in and go to Beverages on the Cruise Planner this is what I see and the last line is in red just as posted below. Some of the other packages are discounted too but the alcohol one is only $20% ...

Refreshment Package

Enjoy our entire selection of premium coffees and teas, bottled water, fresh-squeezed…

From*27.51AUD Adult per day 27.51AUD Child per day

Price Shown Reflects Your Discount