Help finding travel insurance!

I did post this under travel insurance but after looking around I feel I may get more Australian specific advice if I post here:confused: Well here's hoping(yn)

I have a trip coming up that includes a short cruise (my first cruise:D) so I am looking for travel insurance and I am having trouble understanding my options. I need insurance that will cover my cruise but also cover the independent portion of my trip (things like rental car excess is important) but what I am noticing is cruise insurance seems to be sold as a separate product and normal travel insurance doesn't cover cruising:oSo I'm wondering does anyone know of a travel insurance that will cover cruising and other forms of travel?

I would appreciate any advice since I am so stumped:eek: and confused;p

We have taken out our cruise travel insurance with Insure & Go who cover cruising and have the option for car hire cover, where it asks if you have a discount coupon insert Groupon 20 for a 20% discount, you may also care to look at 1 Cover as they also cover cruising.

If you google cruise travel insurance it will direct you to a number of companies that cover travel insurance.

Good luck and happy cruising.

We have taken out our cruise travel insurance with Insure & Go who cover cruising and have the option for car hire cover, where it asks if you have a discount coupon insert Groupon 20 for a 20% discount, you may also care to look at 1 Cover as they also cover cruising.

If you google cruise travel insurance it will direct you to a number of companies that cover travel insurance.

Good luck and happy cruising.

Thanks for the tip, I am looking into the same at the moment, 10 day med cruise, then 3 weeks around Europe.

Note the discount coupon or promo code needed for the first screen is groupon20 no space.

I see a lot of votes for insure and go but are you sure the cruise insurance would cover the non cruise portion of my trip? Just reading through the "more information" everything says "during the cruise".

Mort1305 how did you manage to add car hire excess? I went through the sign up process and I never saw the option.

I have used Southern Cross Travel Insurance for numerous trips overseas. This includes cruise and land. Have only needed to claim once for a medical on cruise and there was no problem. The rental car excess cover is up to $5000, which will cover majority of rental companies.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Forums mobile app

Check out Priceline Travel Insurance which is underwritten by Chubb Insurance. I have used them several times and find their policy for travel insurance to be user friendly. Also i have pre-existing medical issues which are covered. If you have any questions just phone or email them. They are very competitive price wise and you can get a 10% discount if you are a Priceline member which is free to join.

Call the insurance company for clarification. the call will be recorded so there will be proof if required of the advice given.

I have heard you can do this but I prefer to use email or messaging where possible since that way I have my own record of the conversation :cool:.

We’ve used NRMA for a while now, always had great rates.

Daughter had to claim for a cancelled cruise recently, all the paperwork took a while but all good.

Likewise these days with my pre existing conditions. NRMA use Covermore.

I used to use the free travel insurance on my ANZ Platinum CC, but they were a bit dicky on my pre existing conditions, so I gave them the flick.:halo:

We bought year long travel insurance with budget direct. Originally started with the collaboration websites like comparethemarket and selected cruise. It specifically includes car rental excess. Almost any claims we have had in the past irrespective of company has required fighting and threats to ombudsman etc but all have eventually been paid.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I can't advise but I'm posting so as to have this in my subscribed threads. There is no thread tools button on the app as fast as i can see?

On the right hand side topof this thread page under your name you will find a arrow type thing to click this will give you the chance to manage/ organise the thread and add a subscription

You have to double check your insurance carefully; you said that you’ll have the cruise and a small holiday, I guess you’ll be travelling from home to port via other means (and possibly a different country?). Some insurance (eg from the UK) have a start/end UK only, and if you’re disembarking from another country (say, Singapore) to travel to another country (India), you may not be covered. It’s all in the very very fine print.

Another thing to note is sometimes, insurance provided by an airline (I’ve had this issue with Malaysian Airlines) will only cover those that are resident in the country of disembarkation. I live in Brunei, it’s closer (and way cheaper) for me to take a flight from Malaysia (which is driving distance away), and I always bought insurance through the airline, until being bored I read the fine print and realised I was actually never covered by the policy. So unless I took off from Brunei, I was not covered by the airline policy.

Australia specific, check out Flight Centre, they’re normally very good at advising you what your options are. When I was in Oz, NRMA were great, had home, contents and travel bundled altogether at one stage.

But Flight Centre use Chubb, which will cover your trip door-to-door, covered my grandma when she was alive too, and she 84, suffered a couple of strokes, was wheelchair bound and beginning dementia before we bought the policy and she was still covered.

Another thing to note, if you’re travelling regionally (Australasia, Europe, South America etc), you may be able to find regional specific insurance, which is cheaper than getting a Worldwide policy if you don’t have to; eg you’re going Australia, NZ, New Caledonia, Fiji only, you’re not going to need a policy that would cover you for India or Africa.

TL:DR; read the fine print, check if it only covers resident travellers, try to see travel options for regional trips, does it cover you for travel with a different departure from the country you are not resident in, talk to Flight Centre or NRMA. Chubb Ultimate is the way to go for piece of mind (IMHO).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I see a lot of votes for insure and go but are you sure the cruise insurance would cover the non cruise portion of my trip? Just reading through the "more information" everything says "during the cruise".

Mort1305 how did you manage to add car hire excess? I went through the sign up process and I never saw the option.

ilikeanswers, when choosing your Insure and Go trip cover, it has Trip Type with a orange/red question mark beside it. If you click on the question mark it has the following -

If your trip includes any travel by cruise ship, then select the cruise option to be covered for the land, air AND CRUISE part of your journey. However, if you only want to be covered for the land and air part, then choose One Trip. By cruise we refer to any travel on sea, ocean or river by any commercially operated ship, boat or other sea vessel for longer than two hours.

Also if you click on the question mark beside Destination it has the following -

If you select a cruise option, there is no cover for Section L (Rental Vehicle Excess Waiver) whilst your ship is in an Australian port.

Hope this helps.

Leigh

We had a claim with AIG and will NEVER use or recommend again. DH had to go to the ship’s doctor for pink eye. $225. They supposedly gave us all we needed to submit the claim to their own cruise line’s recommended insurer. After much communication back and forth I finally gave up which I’m sure was their goal but really, for $225!? He was also covered by Medicare but we had to document from them that it was not the first insurer. Still got redirected.

On the other hand an Allianz claim for a cancelled cruise went surprisingly smoothly and we were reimbursed for every dollar we were out.

We now rely on the coverage provided by a combination of our Citibank Aadvantage card for trip cancellation and medical and DAN for removal. DAN also provides additional travel insurance packages beyond what the basic membership provides. Someone on one of our cruises had a $22,000 removal that was completely covered and she said they just took over and took care of her. DAN is Divers Alliance Network but you don’t have to be a diver or be on a diving trip to join. Plus you will receive a beautiful quarterly magazine. About $50-60/yr

Sent from my iPad using Forums

You have to double check your insurance carefully; you said that you’ll have the cruise and a small holiday, I guess you’ll be travelling from home to port via other means (and possibly a different country?). Some insurance (eg from the UK) have a start/end UK only, and if you’re disembarking from another country (say, Singapore) to travel to another country (India), you may not be covered. It’s all in the very very fine print.

With my past travel insurance they always covered me the day I left the country, so unless having a cruise changes this I think I should be ok:confused: though I will double check this, better safe than sorry:D. My cruise does start from a foreign port but a week before we shall be visiting another place before flying into port for our cruise and then afterwards we are doing some more exploring before flying home.

With my past travel insurance they always covered me the day I left the country, so unless having a cruise changes this I think I should be ok:confused: though I will double check this, better safe than sorry:D. My cruise does start from a foreign port but a week before we shall be visiting another place before flying into port for our cruise and then afterwards we are doing some more exploring before flying home.

I work for the British Army, and the families would purchase UK travel insurance and get posted out to Brunei for 2-3 years. That insurance only covered them on their journey from UK-Brunei-UK, but if they were to travel eg from Brunei-Singapore-Brunei, they were not covered under certain circumstances, and sometimes their extended family was not covered either, which caused dramas and issues in the past.

It got to the stage that they broadcast it over BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service, like the BBC, but Forces specific) regularly (at least once an hour).

Insurance is insurance: one of my Colour Sergeant’s carries 330 rounds of ammo, and another Corporal carried 1000 rounds; they didn’t need it every day they were on patrol, but darn it, they carried that load everywhere when they were outside the wire...you may never need it, but you’ll be glad you had it? Just have to read the fine print on all policies, not just travel insurance, or insurance for that matter...

Nick

Brunei

I work for the British Army, and the families would purchase UK travel insurance and get posted out to Brunei for 2-3 years. That insurance only covered them on their journey from UK-Brunei-UK, but if they were to travel eg from Brunei-Singapore-Brunei, they were not covered under certain circumstances, and sometimes their extended family was not covered either, which caused dramas and issues in the past.

It got to the stage that they broadcast it over BFBS (British Forces Broadcasting Service, like the BBC, but Forces specific) regularly (at least once an hour).

Insurance is insurance: one of my Colour Sergeant’s carries 330 rounds of ammo, and another Corporal carried 1000 rounds; they didn’t need it every day they were on patrol, but darn it, they carried that load everywhere when they were outside the wire...you may never need it, but you’ll be glad you had it? Just have to read the fine print on all policies, not just travel insurance, or insurance for that matter...

Nick

Brunei

Managed to find the Singapore Flight Centre Chubb insurance policy for reference, sorry about the quality, screenshots of a PDF...

IMG_4813.thumb.jpg.d405955f483ee8cc3f7d28397dc22d8d.jpg

Nick

Brunei

IMG_4807.thumb.jpg.42635069b1ef392646ceedb24d30af60.jpg

IMG_4808.thumb.jpg.b1a38d0a6d497a460eb9b351fd86c325.jpg

IMG_4809.thumb.jpg.b57c43bb5108d7d25fae521648138781.jpg

IMG_4810.thumb.jpg.70a12ea8fab485ddf28387e3c679174e.jpg

IMG_4811.thumb.jpg.5370e01f664b92a77bf93a7eede8b386.jpg

IMG_4812.thumb.jpg.35fd3ff34c4605bd40d7495eb8487ce3.jpg