Amsterdam or Westerdam

Tiggipaws

I think it depends on itinerary. That would be my first choice as both ships are good. If the itineraries are the same then I would probably choose the Westerdam. I consider a balcony a must in Alaska and you would have better pricing on balconies on the Westerdam.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

If you are not going for a balcony, the insides are smaller on Westerdam, most have no couch. If you can afford a balcony they will be better priced on Westerdam because there are more of them, higher ratio of balcony rooms to non-balcony rooms.

But I agree that itinerary is the key, the number of opportunities to see glaciers, and the amount of time in port. Happy planning! m--

We were on the Westerdam in December for a Panama Canal transit and really enjoyed it. Seeing pictures might help you decide.

My wife took a lot and made them into slide shows for her website. I'll insert a link below just in case you are interested. Scroll down the page and click on the one called "Scenes Around The Ship."

Panama Canal Transit Cruise

Not sure what cabin level you are looking at but the Westedam has the wonderful Signature suites which are our favorite sized cabins, in between a regular verandah and a Neptune Suite. Amsterdam is smaller so it is easier to get from side to side of the ship when the scenery demands it.

Have not done my homework here but I suspect a Westerdam Signature cabin might be the same price as an Amsterdam verandah. Do you need a verandah for Alaska - when it is cold and you may not use the outdoors that much - yes and no - because looking out the large windows in these cabins inside your own toasty room is nice. But both ships also have nice enclosed viewing areas too so you won't miss a verandah on this cruise. So maybe more cabin choices for the same price could make a difference between them.

I do like the much lovelier Amsterdam dining room over the one of the Vista class ships like the Westerdam, but there can be scenic tables on both. The late sunsets this far north make evening dining a daytime event with some pretty spectacular views if you get a table with a view. Normally at night it does not matter ...except for cruises to Alaska and Norway and points north - or upside down in the southern hemisphere around the horn.

We just had to make a choice between the Amsterdam and the Westerdam too on a 28 day transpacific to Japan and Asia cruise - the lower prices for a better cabin on the Westerdam sealed the deal for us. Though we like all of the smaller, older HAL ships too. But among the smaller ones, the Amsterdam is my least favorite.

We were on the Westerdam in December for a Panama Canal transit and really enjoyed it. Seeing pictures might help you decide.

My wife took a lot and made them into slide shows for her website. I'll insert a link below just in case you are interested. Scroll down the page and click on the one called "Scenes Around The Ship."

Panama Canal Transit Cruise

Thank you great pictures, thank you for sharing

Thank you great pictures, thank you for sharing

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I'm so glad you enjoyed seeing her pictures. I'll let her know that you liked them. Have a great cruise wherever you go. It's a great way to travel and see the world.