Capacity question-Pearl

scottmeredith

My family and I have booked a Garden Villa on the Pearl. The room can accommodate 7-8 guests, and we are a party of 5.

We called to see if we can add an additional guest to our room, but were told the boat is at capacity and we cannot add an additional guest..but that may change as we get closer to sailing.

Has anyone ever been in this situation, and if so, what are the odds of there being enough cancellations to add our guest?

Any experience would be helpful.

Thanks,

There are two things in play here — the total ship capacity and the lifeboat capacity for your specific muster station.

If it were just a matter of the ship’s capacity, you could keep an eye out to see if rooms become available. Chances are, though, that it is your muster station that may be at capacity. A room in your “zone” would have to become available and/or a passenger booked in a cabin in your zone would have to cancel to open up another lifeboat spot for your party.

The cruise lines try to maximize the number of cabins filled at double occupancy. The maximum ship capacity is double occupancy plus a fixed number of 3rd and up passengers. If the ship has this maximum number of 3rd or more passengers booked, but some cabins are still unfilled for double occupancy, they will stop allowing 3rd or more bookings to force people to book up those empty cabins. So, the closer to sailing, they may get the feel that there will be cabins left unsold no matter what, so they will again open up 3rd or more bookings.

• 4 weeks later...
There are two things in play here — the total ship capacity and the lifeboat capacity for your specific muster station.

If it were just a matter of the ship’s capacity, you could keep an eye out to see if rooms become available. Chances are, though, that it is your muster station that may be at capacity. A room in your “zone” would have to become available and/or a passenger booked in a cabin in your zone would have to cancel to open up another lifeboat spot for your party.

You are right. It is capacity in our muster station..the Haven. I don't see that changing before the cruise..39

Sent from my SM-G950U using Forums mobile app

You will be able to see if it is a lifeboat issue or really a capacity issue by checking if the ship is sold out?

My guess is that there are many open cabins and if they deny you an additional guest in the courtyard, they are guessing you'll book an additional cabin! These cruises don't get "sold out" even on Christmas Week. They book way, way, way beyond capacity during holiday weeks.

By guess is that this is their way of forcing you to book another cabin.

You will be able to see if it is a lifeboat issue or really a capacity issue by checking if the ship is sold out?

My guess is that there are many open cabins and if they deny you an additional guest in the courtyard, they are guessing you'll book an additional cabin! These cruises don't get "sold out" even on Christmas Week. They book way, way, way beyond capacity during holiday weeks.

If they are guessing I'll book another cabin, they guessed wrong. We just won't bring the other guest, and they will miss the potential income. It's not a big deal, and we will greatly enjoy the Cruise. We should have planned a little better

Bad guess.

Ships do not book beyond lifeboat capacity (have you seen the movie Titanic?)

If they are guessing I'll book another cabin, they guessed wrong. We just won't bring the other guest, and they will miss the potential income. It's not a big deal, and we will greatly enjoy the Cruise. We should have planned a little better

That is a bad guess, NCL allows additional people to be booked in the cabin, if possible.

They aren't. I am guessing it is a lifeboat capacity issue. Our room sleeps eight. We have five people and are looking to add one more. We cant.

This happened to my friend and I Christmas of 2016. We upgraded to the GV close to sailing and wanted to add people, as it was just the 2 of us. We were not able to due to capacity issues.

This happened to my friend and I Christmas of 2016. We upgraded to the GV close to sailing and wanted to add people, as it was just the 2 of us. We were not able to due to capacity issues.
2 people in a GV...that takes "spacious" to a whole new level

• 2 weeks later...

Why can't they just move people to a different lifeboat location where there is room? If cabins 1-10 were supposed to go to lifeboat station "A" why cant they tell cabin 10 to go station "B" where there is room, which would allow an extra 2 people to be added to a cabin?

Why can't they just move people to a different lifeboat location where there is room? If cabins 1-10 were supposed to go to lifeboat station "A" why cant they tell cabin 10 to go station "B" where there is room, which would allow an extra 2 people to be added to a cabin?

Well, each cabin's muster station is posted on a sign permanently mounted on the inside of each cabin door, for one thing.