refrigerators on Fascination

love2travel41

I've been checking and the GOCCL Carnival site that's for travel agents says that only suites on the Fascination have fridges. https://help.goccl.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1518

I was hoping this month's dry dock might change this but here's a quote from WhiteOptima who apparently was on the first cruise out of the dry dock...

"No refrigerator in room and you have to ask for hair dryer and robe."

You can bring a cooler. From Carnival's website:

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

You can bring a cooler. From Carnival's website:

• Coolers: Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.

We just asked out room steward to make sure we had fresh ice every morning to keep the waters we bought plus those received as returning passengers cold.

We are sailing on the Carnival FASCINATION on April 8th and have an Ocean view stateroom(classification 6B.

Can anyone tell me if that room is likely to have a refrigerator? Thank you

We got home last night after a week in a balcony cabin on Fascination. There was no refrigerator in our cabin, nor in the other three cabins occupied by our friends. One of our friends has serious allergies and had pre-arranged a fridge in the cabin. It arrived on day two of the cruise.

I had read other posts and thought for sure we would have a frig in our room. We have an Oceanview booked. If we don't have a frig, what's the point of ordering water bottles? How is a person supposed to function without a frig? Even cheap motels have them. Oh my this is worrying me!

Yup just checked the details for our room-no frig. Ugh. The more I find out, the more I'm regretting booking a cruise. This will be our first and unless it's better than all I've read, it will be our last. Someone please convince me that cruises are great, even without basic amenities in our room.

As someone posted above, a small cooler works fine to keep waters, etc. cold in your cabin. Your Cabin Steward can keep it filled for you. If you run out while he/she is off duty, just go to the closest bar and ask for a bucket of ice. Bring it back to your cabin and add it to your cooler. Problem solved.

Yup just checked the details for our room-no frig. Ugh. The more I find out, the more I'm regretting booking a cruise. This will be our first and unless it's better than all I've read, it will be our last. Someone please convince me that cruises are great, even without basic amenities in our room.

We loved our cruise on Fascination two weeks ago. The ship was so easy to maneuver. The Lido buffet was set up in a way that every other ship should be. We never encountered the crowds that we did on larger ships. (Vista was the worst by far.) Every crew member we encountered stopped what he/she was doing to say hello.

If having cold bottled water is the reason to regret booking Fascination, then what other minor things disappoint you? Just ask your cabin steward for a bucket of ice and put many bottles in it. Voila! Cold bottles of water.

Besides not having a fridge, what are the other basic necessities that you think will be missing from your cabin??

We just returned from the 2/25 sailing of the Fascination. We had an ocean view cabin on deck 7. We had a new mattress and new bedding. No refrigerator. We brought a soft sided cooler and our room steward filled it with ice every day. It kept our water and wine very cold the whole cruise. When we boarded and met our room steward he asked us if we wanted robes, a hairdryer, more hangers or anything else. Every request was met immediately and with a smile.

Have a great cruise!!!

Currently on the Fascination. Our suite has a fridge and our window cabin does not.

Norwegian Jade - June 2017 - Norway (with a 5.5 yo, a 3.5 yo, and a 1 yo)

Norwegian Jewel - May 2014 - Alaska (with a 2.5 yo and an almost 1 yo)

Norwegian Jade - September 2009 - Mediterranean (pre-kids)

Carnival - April 2007 - Caribbean (pre-kids)

We loved our cruise on Fascination two weeks ago. The ship was so easy to maneuver. The Lido buffet was set up in a way that every other ship should be. We never encountered the crowds that we did on larger ships. (Vista was the worst by far.) Every crew member we encountered stopped what he/she was doing to say hello.

If having cold bottled water is the reason to regret booking Fascination, then what other minor things disappoint you? Just ask your cabin steward for a bucket of ice and put many bottles in it. Voila! Cold bottles of water.

Besides not having a fridge, what are the other basic necessities that you think will be missing from your cabin??

I'm just trying to figure it out based on other threads. I've stayed in a few hotels and all have a place where I can get ice, a frig, a TV etc. I've read that the TV doesn't get in any stations to check weather for instance as the cruise line reduced channels, I was I guess assuming a frig cause why not and if I need to ask for ice all the time, I guess I'm just trying to picture this. Your post makes me feel much better since there were a couple after Fascination's dry dock that stated the ship was a mess. I guess I will have to get used to asking for all the stuff that would already be in the room. Do we have to ask for an iron? Will towels be in there or do we bring our own? This is our first cruise as you can tell and I'm so unsure of stuff so I keep reading but then I find out more and more stuff-some good, some bad. Thanks for responding so positively!!

As someone posted above, a small cooler works fine to keep waters, etc. cold in your cabin. Your Cabin Steward can keep it filled for you. If you run out while he/she is off duty, just go to the closest bar and ask for a bucket of ice. Bring it back to your cabin and add it to your cooler. Problem solved.

Ok so I can ask for ice at any bar and they will just give it to me? That's good to know! Thanks!

I'm just trying to figure it out based on other threads. I've stayed in a few hotels and all have a place where I can get ice, a frig, a TV etc. I've read that the TV doesn't get in any stations to check weather for instance as the cruise line reduced channels, I was I guess assuming a frig cause why not and if I need to ask for ice all the time, I guess I'm just trying to picture this. Your post makes me feel much better since there were a couple after Fascination's dry dock that stated the ship was a mess. I guess I will have to get used to asking for all the stuff that would already be in the room. Do we have to ask for an iron? Will towels be in there or do we bring our own? This is our first cruise as you can tell and I'm so unsure of stuff so I keep reading but then I find out more and more stuff-some good, some bad. Thanks for responding so positively!!

Oh and the outlet thing.....I'm worried that I won't bring the right strip and then we're stuck. It looks like every cabin has a diff configuration on how the outlet is set up. And making sure it doesn't have a surge protector-that's an odd one. So we're chancing it with all of our electronics?

I'm just trying to figure it out based on other threads. I've stayed in a few hotels and all have a place where I can get ice, a frig, a TV etc. I've read that the TV doesn't get in any stations to check weather for instance as the cruise line reduced channels,

Psshhh...who needs to know the weather? If you make a shadow on deck, it's sunny. If the deck is wet, it's raining. If people's hair is waving around, it's windy. Ta da! :D:D;)

We only watch channel 18, map channel; channel 19, bridge camera; and channel 20, Lido camera. It's actually really nice to leave the world behind for a week.

I was I guess assuming a frig cause why not and if I need to ask for ice all the time, I guess I'm just trying to picture this.

Ice is available at any bar, as stated, and ice dispensers are available on Lido 24 hours a day.

Your post makes me feel much better since there were a couple after Fascination's dry dock that stated the ship was a mess.

The ship was in fine, clean shape the week we sailed, which was only the second week after returning from dry-dock.

I guess I will have to get used to asking for all the stuff that would already be in the room.

Be prepared to be treated like royalty. We get very spoiled.

Do we have to ask for an iron?

No irons in the cabins but there are a laundry rooms with irons:

Self-Service Launderettes

Hours: posted on the Laundry Room door

• 2 or 3 washers and 2 or 3 dryers ($)
  • 1 iron and ironing board
  • Vending machines dispense small boxes of detergent and water softener ($)

Upper Deck 6 - aft / across from stateroom U154

Empress Deck 7 - forward / across from stateroom E2

Will towels be in there or do we bring our own?

There will be blue beach towels in your cabin upon embarkation.

We take them to use on Lido by the pool or to put on the deck chairs when we lay out in the sun. We also take them ashore to use at beaches and/or excursions. There's a towel hut under the spiral staircase on Lido on the port (left when facing forward) side of the ship.) to exchange wet or soiled towels as well as to check out extra towels, using Sail and Sign card but no charge unless the towel is not returned to the hut by the end of the day.)

This is our first cruise as you can tell and I'm so unsure of stuff so I keep reading but then I find out more and more stuff-some good, some bad.

Remember that opinions are very subjective.

We sailed Carnival Victory back in 2004. After we booked, my friend read reviews. One person complained that there were stains on the carpet (horrors...thousands of people walk on the carper daily. Heck, I walked with a cup of coffee and accidentally spilled a little. I tried wiping it as best as I could.), there were scratches inside the elevator (horrors, something scraped the elevator walls.), and the hinge on his balcony door was rusty (horrors, the ship sailed in the salty ocean every day of every year.)

You know what? We forgot about every one of the negative comments and had a great cruise. Only when we got home did I find the complaints saved in a folder.

Thanks for responding so positively!!

We had a great cruise! I can't think of one thing that was so negative as to ruin our cruise in any way.

Thank you so much! Glad to know there are dispensers-I'm not used to bothering anyone with anything I need so at least I can use those if necessary!

The post I read said that the items they purchased to be in their room were missing or wrong, the water coming out of their faucets was brown, the wait staff was rude, etc. I forget what else but some of the stuff was so severe that I would've expected the cruise line to discount their trip or something. Obviously this was an isolated event as others have said nothing but good things!

Thanks again-these boards have taught me things I would've never known!

The Fantasy class ships, of which Fascination is, are some of my absolute favorites. I have actually be on Fascination twice and had a wonderful time both times with no complaints. Oh wait.. one... we ordered a bucket of cider and it took a tad bit longer to get to us then we were expecting and she had accidentally spilled a frozen drink in the bucket so they were a bit sticky. She would have taken it back and exchanged it, but we were good with it. I think that is the only complaint I have ever had on the Fascination. ;)

Rooms are serviced twice a day. When you meet your room steward the first day they will ask if you would like morning or evening service (often presenting you with a card) - check/request both - you are absolutely permitted to. Ask for ice in your ice bucket, and they will refill it with fresh ice both times your room is serviced each day. If for some reason you need more, just ask. If you want a bathrobe for inside the stateroom or when you sneak out to the hot tubs after dinner - just ask for one. They will provide you with one.

They will supply plenty of towels for your bathroom. Just like in a hotel, leave them on the floor if you want them to be taken, or hang up if you don't. Again - fresh towels twice a day if needed. You also get the nice big beach towel, which you can have replaced as often as needed and there are towel huts on deck if you find you are in need of one and don't want to walk back to your cabin.

As for the TV... there are two (?) channels of free movies running all day each day in addition to various ship information channels. There may be less cable now, but I don't recall ever not knowing what the weather forecast is going to be, so we get that information from somewhere. And truthfully, the TV channels they did get would be telling you the forecast for Miami (or whatever city the station is in) not Grand Turk, Cozumel, etc., so having access wouldn't change much in that regard.

Like others have said, opinions are subjective. I like reading the 'negative' reviews just so I won't be surprised by something. Different ships have different quirks.

Seriously though, anything you need, just ask. If there is any way they can accommodate you, they will absolutely do so. Enjoy your first cruise!

• 3 weeks later...
The Fantasy class ships, of which Fascination is, are some of my absolute favorites. I have actually be on Fascination twice and had a wonderful time both times with no complaints. Oh wait.. one... we ordered a bucket of cider and it took a tad bit longer to get to us then we were expecting and she had accidentally spilled a frozen drink in the bucket so they were a bit sticky. She would have taken it back and exchanged it, but we were good with it. I think that is the only complaint I have ever had on the Fascination. ;)

Rooms are serviced twice a day. When you meet your room steward the first day they will ask if you would like morning or evening service (often presenting you with a card) - check/request both - you are absolutely permitted to. Ask for ice in your ice bucket, and they will refill it with fresh ice both times your room is serviced each day. If for some reason you need more, just ask. If you want a bathrobe for inside the stateroom or when you sneak out to the hot tubs after dinner - just ask for one. They will provide you with one.

They will supply plenty of towels for your bathroom. Just like in a hotel, leave them on the floor if you want them to be taken, or hang up if you don't. Again - fresh towels twice a day if needed. You also get the nice big beach towel, which you can have replaced as often as needed and there are towel huts on deck if you find you are in need of one and don't want to walk back to your cabin.

As for the TV... there are two (?) channels of free movies running all day each day in addition to various ship information channels. There may be less cable now, but I don't recall ever not knowing what the weather forecast is going to be, so we get that information from somewhere. And truthfully, the TV channels they did get would be telling you the forecast for Miami (or whatever city the station is in) not Grand Turk, Cozumel, etc., so having access wouldn't change much in that regard.

Like others have said, opinions are subjective. I like reading the 'negative' reviews just so I won't be surprised by something. Different ships have different quirks.

Seriously though, anything you need, just ask. If there is any way they can accommodate you, they will absolutely do so. Enjoy your first cruise!

Thank you for all the positive remarks! It sounds like I will in fact be treated like royalty! Might get addicted to cruises and then have to start saving for another! ;)

Oh and the outlet thing.....I'm worried that I won't bring the right strip and then we're stuck. It looks like every cabin has a diff configuration on how the outlet is set up. And making sure it doesn't have a surge protector-that's an odd one. So we're chancing it with all of our electronics?

You seem a little stressed so let me assure you that this little things like one outlet and fridges are just not an issue. People have already addressed the fridge, but I did not see outlet. So, go to the dollar store and get you one of those one plug 3 outlet things. On older ships like the Fascination, that is all that is provided, but 3 plugs is plenty to charge what you need, especially since it is located near the mirror. Also, they do not provide hair dryers or robes, but you can request that from the room steward.

Please be aware that staying on a cruise ship is in many respects is nicer than a hotel - if you ask for twice daily service you will get fresh towels in the morning and in the evening, your bed made in the morning, and turned down at night with a cute towel animal. Free room service is available 24/7. You don't need to worry about ice; simply ask your room attendant to keep your cooler full - and extra $10 tip with the request should guarantee it. Cruising is different from a hotel however because the rooms are MUCH smaller than a standard hotel room and don't have microwaves or coffee machines for obvious fire hazard reasons. So when you are talking cruises and hotels, you are really talking apples and oranges. It is good that you are asking these questions so that your expectations are in line. Go with a good attitude, understanding that you are new to this and learning the ropes and you should have a great time.

You seem a little stressed so let me assure you that this little things like one outlet and fridges are just not an issue. People have already addressed the fridge, but I did not see outlet. So, go to the dollar store and get you one of those one plug 3 outlet things. On older ships like the Fascination, that is all that is provided, but 3 plugs is plenty to charge what you need, especially since it is located near the mirror. Also, they do not provide hair dryers or robes, but you can request that from the room steward.

Please be aware that staying on a cruise ship is in many respects is nicer than a hotel - if you ask for twice daily service you will get fresh towels in the morning and in the evening, your bed made in the morning, and turned down at night with a cute towel animal. Free room service is available 24/7. You don't need to worry about ice; simply ask your room attendant to keep your cooler full - and extra $10 tip with the request should guarantee it. Cruising is different from a hotel however because the rooms are MUCH smaller than a standard hotel room and don't have microwaves or coffee machines for obvious fire hazard reasons. So when you are talking cruises and hotels, you are really talking apples and oranges. It is good that you are asking these questions so that your expectations are in line. Go with a good attitude, understanding that you are new to this and learning the ropes and you should have a great time.

Minus the "free room service" 24/7... it's only free selected hours now.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums