Maui

Salem615

Hi all

We are booked on the Pride of America for April if next year.

I am pretty well set as far as what we want to do but are trying to pin down Maui.

I have a tour planned for one of the days but the other day we would like to maybe hit up a beach.

Is there a nice beach near the port? Or is there cabs available to take us to a beach?

Take a look around the board...There are many discussions on this exact topic. The closest reasonable beaches are Kihei, and Wailea, where I am writing this from. Kihei is around 25 minutes, so an expensive taxi, but doable. Rental car would be the better idea.

Take a look around the board...There are many discussions on this exact topic. The closest reasonable beaches are Kihei, and Wailea, where I am writing this from. Kihei is around 25 minutes, so an expensive taxi, but doable. Rental car would be the better idea.

Welcome back! :cool:

We're in Kihei & agree with you...rent a car & enjoy the many South Maui beaches in Makena, Wailea & Kihei.

For our current return to Maui we considered Lyft & Uber instead of SpeediShuttle to our house. Uber was more than double the price of the shared shuttle & about a third more than a taxi. Lyft's price was close to the shuttle's price but we're inexperienced with both of those options.

Beaches in Hawaii are NOT like beaches in the Caribbean. Except, that they are all public....there aren't chair rentals at the beaches...so bring a towel! There are no "day resorts" either, so when you head to a beach, it's all beach...no frills.

Just to give you an idea of the cost, according to "TaxiFareFinder" a taxi from Kahului Harbor to, say, the Grand Wailea Hotel will run you about $60.00 - each way.

No! Don't send them here! It is busy enough! :evilsmile::p:cool:;p

Just kidding. They are welcome. It is beautiful here!

No! Don't send them here! It is busy enough! :evilsmile::p:cool:;p

Just kidding. They are welcome. It is beautiful here!

Have you noticed how things have started to calm down a bit now that mainland schools are back in session? Costco was even fairly quiet, and you can still get reservations for luncheon at A Class Act at the UH Maui Campus. Life is good.

Have you noticed how things have started to calm down a bit now that mainland schools are back in session? Costco was even fairly quiet, and you can still get reservations for luncheon at A Class Act at the UH Maui Campus. Life is good.

We arrived on Tuesday. There is definitely a quietness, but the Costco was the busiest we have ever seen it, and we go there every time...at least a dozen times in the last 6 or 7 years. We have worked to find parking at Costco. This time was crazy!

Welcome back! :cool:

We're in Kihei & agree with you...rent a car & enjoy the many South Maui beaches in Makena, Wailea & Kihei.

For our current return to Maui we considered Lyft & Uber instead of SpeediShuttle to our house. Uber was more than double the price of the shared shuttle & about a third more than a taxi. Lyft's price was close to the shuttle's price but we're inexperienced with both of those options.

I found the same to be true when researching prices on Oahu. Uber was more expensive than Johnny cab and others. I haven't found Lyft prices yet. I've used both in Chicago and Uber in other locations as well. Most of my Lyft drivers seem less experienced and less vetted than Uber, but typically better in big cities than a taxi where you pay by the minute for sitting in traffic or when they purposefully take the wrong route.

I appreciate your help here on the Hawaii area, so if you have other questions on uber, email me annjunk at sbcglobal dot net.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Forums mobile app

• 2 months later...

We will also be in Maui on POA. The day we arrive, we have a Sunset on Haleakala tour booked that leaves at 3:15 from the ship. Is it worth renting a car for the morning to try to visit Lahaina? I read on another thread it could take 2 hours to get from Kahului to Lahaina with traffic. If this is a bad idea, other suggestions for the morning and early afternoon? (We are doing the Road to Hana the next day.)

We will also be in Maui on POA. The day we arrive, we have a Sunset on Haleakala tour booked that leaves at 3:15 from the ship. Is it worth renting a car for the morning to try to visit Lahaina? I read on another thread it could take 2 hours to get from Kahului to Lahaina with traffic. If this is a bad idea, other suggestions for the morning and early afternoon? (We are doing the Road to Hana the next day.)

Have you considered using a rental car to drive to Lahaina before driving to Haleakala for sunset? It’s probably cheaper that way & you have the flexibility to adjust your visit.

"Worth it" is a value judgement only you can make. We love the west side of Maui, and go there regularly. We have been there several dozen times, and it has never taken an hour from Kahalui to Lahaina. Yes, the traffic situation can be bad at times (unless there is an accident, the 2 hour thing might be a bit overcooked), but you have no control over that situation should it arise. So since you have a commitment, I would be hesitant to drive to Lahaina.

Have you considered using a rental car to drive to Lahaina before driving to Haleakala for sunset? It’s probably cheaper that way & you have the flexibility to adjust your visit.

Another thought is getting that rental car and going Upcountry during the day instead of going over to Lahaina and back. You will find many places to explore Upcountry, and you can continue at your own pace up Haleakala later on to catch sunset

So many ideas. Thank you for your input.

We found a great tour with Valley Isle we are going to do and I think we are doing a waterfall hike the other day. Nothing set in stone as of yet.

We have considered a rental car but my husband hates to drive on vacation. He much prefers to sit back and enjoy without the hassle of getting a car and getting it back on time and worrying about parking...etc...

• 1 month later...
Beaches in Hawaii are NOT like beaches in the Caribbean. Except, that they are all public....there aren't chair rentals at the beaches...so bring a towel! There are no "day resorts" either, so when you head to a beach, it's all beach...no frills.

We booked for September / October 2019 Vancouver's Eclipse B2B, recently downloaded the Shorex brochure for Hawaii and I wonder why Celebrity does not sell Shorex Beach Break / Beach Day. You give the answer. During this vacation I want to swim in a beautiful beach

We booked for September / October 2019 Vancouver's Eclipse B2B, recently downloaded the Shorex brochure for Hawaii and I wonder why Celebrity does not sell Shorex Beach Break / Beach Day. You give the answer. During this vacation I want to swim in a beautiful beach

You really don't need a ship's excursion to enjoy the beaches in Hawaii. It is easy and less expensive to make your own schedule for a beach day.