Is 19 considered a minor?

uwhusky78

My daughter is 19 and was invited to go on a cruise with her grandparents and family. However, when grandma tried to check her in online, she got a "Traveling with a Minor" popup and it says she'll require a notarized letter signed by the child's parents.

Why is 19 considered a minor/child? If this letter is truly required, does someone have a template or example I can use? Thank you!

Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry, I had meant to put a little more info in the original post. They will be on Royal Caribbean... this was surprising because we were in the Bahamas a few years ago and I thought the legal drinking/gambling age was 18, so I didn't think there would be any issue with my 19 y/o going along. Guess it's different due to the maritime law. Thanks again everyone.

Guess it's different due to the maritime law.

I'm not aware of any maritime law identifying 19 year olds as minors. I'm not sure where Velvetwater got that.

These age restrictions and guidelines are mostly created for liability purposes.

Hi, thanks for the replies. Sorry, I had meant to put a little more info in the original post. They will be on Royal Caribbean... this was surprising because we were in the Bahamas a few years ago and I thought the legal drinking/gambling age was 18, so I didn't think there would be any issue with my 19 y/o going along. Guess it's different due to the maritime law. Thanks again everyone.

You may be right. It could depend on ports of itinerary.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My daughter is 19 and was invited to go on a cruise with her grandparents and family. However, when grandma tried to check her in online, she got a "Traveling with a Minor" popup and it says she'll require a notarized letter signed by the child's parents.

Why is 19 considered a minor/child? If this letter is truly required, does someone have a template or example I can use? Thank you!

Technically she is not a minor and does not need a letter in spite of what the cruise line pop up says, in fact a letter has no effect at all. Instead of arguing the point, just get her parents to write a letter saying she has permission to leave the country. Nothing formal is needed.

People often confuse the age when one is no longer a minor with the legal drinking age, they are not the same in the US. In the US anyone 18 or over is considered an adult for legal purposes, but they are not of legal drinking age until they are 21. This means that they can vote, sign a binding contract to buy a house or a car, or get a credit card, but they cannot drink alcohol.

In most places in the Caribbean the legal drinking age is 18 or lower, so while a person might not be able to drink on the ship they can legally drink ashore.

Good luck keeping track of it all!

Technically she is not a minor and does not need a letter in spite of what the cruise line pop up says, in fact a letter has no effect at all. Instead of arguing the point, just get her parents to write a letter saying she has permission to leave the country. Nothing formal is needed.

People often confuse the age when one is no longer a minor with the legal drinking age, they are not the same in the US. In the US anyone 18 or over is considered an adult for legal purposes, but they are not of legal drinking age until they are 21. This means that they can vote, sign a binding contract to buy a house or a car, or get a credit card, but they cannot drink alcohol.

In most places in the Caribbean the legal drinking age is 18 or lower, so while a person might not be able to drink on the ship they can legally drink ashore.

Good luck keeping track of it all!

Can a 19 year old enlist in the U.S. Military without parent's approval?

If a 19 year old is not a full time student, does a non- cusstodial parent's court ordered child support obligation end?

If a 19 year old is not a full time student, does a non- cusstodial parent's court ordered child support obligation end?

In general, even an 18 year old can enlist in the military without parental approval. Perhaps even younger if emancipation has occurred. The is easily googled from many official sources.

Your second question is best answered by a family law attorney in the relevant state and having access to all the relevant documents. I would give zero weight to responses from strangers on a cruise board (yes, a random response might be correct, but should you rely on it? No. Blind squirrels, etc.)

RCI clearly states in their ticket contract that anyone over 18 is not a minor. It also states that 21 is the drinking age (does not say anything about "minors" drinking, just states the age). It may be that they are trying to book the 19 year old in a cabin by themselves, that is not adjacent to the grandparent's cabin, and even booking in an adjacent cabin requires a "guardian" for a passenger under 21.

Depends upon the state- under Connecticut divorce law there is no presumed parental obligation to pay child support after age 18.

Cruise ships don't allow 19 year olds to do anything on their own. Many require you to be 25 to sail alone, unless you're married....stupid rules.

18 is considered ADULT for signing legal documents...yet you can't drink on a cruise (depending on cruise line and destination) without permission..and sometimes, even permission isn't enough.

An 18 year old can enlist in the military without anyone's permission. It is impossible to answer your second question because often divorce degrees create contractual obligations that have nothing to do with the dependent's age. Those rules also vary from state to state but absent a court order generally child support obligations end on a child's 18th birthday even if they are in school.

Please note this is not legal advice and should not be considered as such.

When we sailed RCI with grandchildren (they were under 18 though), Royal Caribbean had a form for parental permission on their site available for download. You can also google 'parental permission form for cruises' or something similar and print one off.

The RCI form and probably others did need to be notarized.

The 18-21 age group is really in a warp when cruising; too old for the teen club, too young to do most 'adult' things.

The 18-21 age group is really in a warp when cruising; too old for the teen club, too young to do most 'adult' things.

Don't understand why you would say this. Although too old for the teen club (rightly so - they are normally out of high school and don't belong with 13-17 year-olds), anyone 18 and over can do anything on board. They can go to shows, bars, nightclubs, enjoy sports activities. The only thing they can't do on a US departing cruise is drink alcohol. Lots of people who are "adults" don't drink alcohol or need alcohol to have a good time.

Very true; I drink rarely myself and never on a cruise. I just think the complaints from this age group tend to be about not being allowed to drink. I notice cruises often have special get-togethers' for the 18-21 group--this age group can of course do most things on the ship, but knowing my 18 year old grandkids (both still in high school), a lot of the venues wouldn't appeal to them and they would rather do things with their own age group.

In North America most cruise lines consider anyone under the age of 21 a minor. In Europe the

age is 19 or younger as a minor.

In Europe, the age is 18 years; as an adult no-one can stop you drinking or buying a cruise

BUT...any private organisation can make their own rules, such as car hire, car insurance ... so a cruise line can do the same. After all, Saga cruises don't allow anyone under 50 years on their cruises (unless they're a partner of a 50 yr old...)

I think it depends on both itinerary and maritime laws. In Europe, the drinking age is much younger, but when I went to Europe when I was 13, I had to obey the US laws in regards to drinking while onboard the ship...even though the drinking age in Europe at the time was 13.

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

When we sailed RCI with grandchildren (they were under 18 though), Royal Caribbean had a form for parental permission on their site available for download. You can also google 'parental permission form for cruises' or something similar and print one off.

The RCI form and probably others did need to be notarized.

If you are referring to consuming alcohol, there was a time on RCI when there was a consent form for US based sailings permitting wine and beer commencing at age 18 while in international waters. That was changed, however, a number of years ago and no longer is the case.