Scared of going on cruise help

chichun2002

Im going on a cruise next week and im going to an island known as mystery islaned in the south pacific ive heard its very small and im very scared at waht would happen if an earthquake/tsunami occur while im on the island im having trouble sleeping thanks in advanced

The chance of this happening is very low and you have a greater chance of getting in a car and being in a fatal island.

With that said if you are concerned about this then you can stay on board the ship and make it a sea day.

There are no guarantees in life and I am not a major risk taker and believe that visiting this island is of low risk.

Keith

Relax and enjoy your trip. It sounds like the adventure of a lifetime.

While the chances of an earthquake or tsunami are very, very slight, they are not within your circle of control. So stop worrying about it. If one comes - Pray!

What is within your circle of control is how much you plan to allow yourself to enjoy this fantastic trip.

I hope you focus your energies on what you do have control over.

Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, Mystery Island (Vanuatu) is tiny, you can walk round its coastline in about half an hour. Nothing there, mebbe a few stalls set up by the people who live on a bigger island nearby, but it has excellent snorkelling.

Safety-wise............

- take great care crossing roads at the port where you start your cruise (Sydney?) 'cos accidents can happen :(

- no worries on Mystery Island, there are no vehicles. :)

And traffic causes millions more deaths than tsunamis.

JB :)

The chance of this happening is very low and you have a greater chance of getting in a car and being in a fatal island.

With that said if you are concerned about this then you can stay on board the ship and make it a sea day.

There are no guarantees in life and I am not a major risk taker and believe that visiting this island is of low risk.

Keith

Fatal car crash? :confused:

We have been to Mystery Island and somehow survived :). My advice to the OP is to simply stay aboard the ship. Then no more anxiety, no worries. In fact, there are some cruisers that stay aboard in all ports! ;p

Hank

Though the area is on a sea trench and the "ring of fire" earthquake belt, there was a recent 7.0 quake (Nov 19) that was a shallow quake (shallow quakes produce the largest tsunami), and was less than 100 miles from Mystery Island, it only produced tsunami waves of 1 meter above high tide. I've seen tsunami waves like this in Hawaii, from far distant quakes or mudslides, and if you aren't looking for it, you may not even know it's there, and unless the ship is tied to a dock, you certainly won't feel a 1 meter tsunami onboard.

Not ALL earthquakes produce tsunamis .....and not all tsunamis hit everything in their path. You probably have a better chance of hitting the lottery than being killed by a tsunami!

A meteor could slam thru your roof while you're having trouble sleeping! Really, you'll be fine. Hundreds of thousands of folks travel everyday...join the fun!

Much more dangerous to drive to/from the airport or cruise terminal than anything happening on the cruise.

More likely to trip and fall in your house than anything happening on the cruise.

Recent headlines notwithstanding, cruise ships have sophisticated radar & weather mapping on board. The cruise lines are tied into NOAA weather.

Even if you don't think the cruise line cares about you, they have more than 1/4 of a billion dollars invested in the ship itself & they don't want their asset destroyed.

If such a disaster happened & the wave or bad weather was headed toward you, the captain would miss that port or round you all up & sail the vessel out of harm's way to safety.

.............. cruise ships have sophisticated radar & weather mapping on board. The cruise lines are tied into NOAA weather.

If such a disaster happened & the wave or bad weather was headed toward you, the captain would round you all up & sail the vessel out of harm's way to safety.

...... which makes me think :confused:

Not wishing to put visitors to San Francisco, Naples, Busan, etc into the same frame of mind as the OP, but ........ if their particular brand of catastrophe were to happen, the captain hasn't a hope in hell of rounding up his flock.

But Mystery Island is so small that rounding them up would take minutes :)

JB :)

We visited ST. Lucia last month and went to a Volcano. Yes, it could erupt and blow half of the island away. It hasn't in over 200 years, but could especially with all of the volcanic activity of late. Like others said, you have a better chance of getting killed in a car.

One of these days you will be sorry for not doing many things. You can live life or lock yourself inside your home. It is your choice.

Im going on a cruise next week and im going to an island known as mystery islaned in the south pacific ive heard its very small and im very scared at waht would happen if an earthquake/tsunami occur while im on the island im having trouble sleeping thanks in advanced

Are you going on Princess or Carnival or RCCL?

I've done the Sydney to Vanuatu and New Caledonia cruise and honestly you have nothing to worry about. I will say though that when I did mine we couldn't go to Mystery Island because of the weather. What ship are you on? I was on the Emerald and it was absolutely fine.

I think the OP should definitely see the "Poseidon Adventure" before going on a ship. After all, it could happen....unless a meteor hits the ship first :).

Hank

In addition to rogue wave and meteor strike probability, I think the concept of "full disclosure" mandates the mention of risk of being grabbed from the deck by a kraken - many of whom, I understand, favor the succulence of the sweet, tender and dumb first time cruiser.

So stay on the ship you don’t have to get off the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums