Hurricane Irma

bee-ess

I'd be more worried for the islanders than my future cruise.

I'm sure any ships will find other ports or routes as necessary, though non affected islands may benefit from additional (rearranged) ship visits, it may put more of a strain on their limited infrastructure (e.g. Dominica). Plus these huge new ships don't have the option of tendering everyone to shore...

I'm on a Caribbean there and back transatlantic next Christmas, and if the itinerary changes due to a natural disaster, then that's the will of the weather...

Anyway, I'm sure most of these ports will have recovered enough by the main season, it'll be their priority to get tourists back, as that's their main income for most.

I'm sure any ships will find other ports or routes as necessary, though non affected islands may benefit from additional (rearranged) ship visits, it may put more of a strain on their limited infrastructure (e.g. Dominica). Plus these huge new ships don't have the option of tendering everyone to shore...

I'm on a Caribbean there and back transatlantic next Christmas, and if the itinerary changes due to a natural disaster, then that's the will of the weather...

Anyway, I'm sure most of these ports will have recovered enough by the main season, it'll be their priority to get tourists back, as that's their main income for most.

Exactly never mind cruises it is the people who should be our main concern.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I certainly didn't mean that the cruise season is more important than the plight of the islanders. My meaning was that it is only about 7 weeks until the season and just wondered if the ports would be ready to receive visitors and if P&O will visit different ports instead, that was all.

You have to be careful how you word things on here.

I certainly didn't mean that the cruise season is more important than the plight of the islanders. My meaning was that it is only about 7 weeks until the season and just wondered if the ports would be ready to receive visitors and if P&O will visit different ports instead, that was all.

That's the trouble with the internet, there's always someone ready to shoot you down.

If some of the people had read your original post properly they would have seen that you were not worried about your cruise but just starting a topic for open discussion.

FWIW we are on Adonia TA and while I'm not worried about our future cruise I am interested in how its going to change.

That's the trouble with the internet, there's always someone ready to shoot you down.

If some of the people had read your original post properly they would have seen that you were not worried about your cruise but just starting a topic for open discussion.

FWIW we are on Adonia TA and while I'm not worried about our future cruise I am interested in how its going to change.

I would hope that the islands affected could at least offer some basic facilities because they need the cruise ships to come in and for the passengers to spend money. Never mind moving to another port lets get in to the islands which have been hit and do something for their economy.

You are right. A cruise is the last thing that we should be concerned about. We all have to hope that the poor people on the affected islands are safe and are able to get the ports back to a working state. If they cannot get the clean-up done before the cruise season it will be double problem for them, they will lose the income that they desperately need to live and carry out repairs.

From what I have seen reported so far this morning St Martin has been really badly affected. The airport has been destroyed and Philipsburg harbour is unusable. On the French side many of the buildings have been destroyed and eight people are known to have lost their lives. So far the Dutch cannot determined the extent of loss of life etc. because it is impossible to reach the island. Hopefully there will not be too many fatalities but looking at the aerial shots of the damage I think it is unlikely.

Antigua seems to have fared a little better but Barbuda appears to have been just about destroyed.

It is a sad time for the lovely people there. Hopefully there will be an emergency fund started to help them out. I believe the French government has already announced the details of a fund for their islands, but there again they always look after their own people. Perhaps it is time for the other governments to stump up a little cash to help the rest of the islands.

It is a sad time for the lovely people there. Hopefully there will be an emergency fund started to help them out. I believe the French government has already announced the details of a fund for their islands, but there again they always look after their own people. Perhaps it is time for the other governments to stump up a little cash to help the rest of the islands.

I would hope that the cruise lines which regularly visit these islands would be prepared to put their hands in their corporate pockets as well.

I would hope that the cruise lines which regularly visit these islands would be prepared to put their hands in their corporate pockets as well.

I'd agree, there are always many ships in St Maarten daily and is used by all the regular cruise lines. I'm sure that P&O for example include it on most if not all itineraries, likewise Antigua and Tortola.

I would hope that the islands affected could at least offer some basic facilities because they need the cruise ships to come in and for the passengers to spend money. Never mind moving to another port lets get in to the islands which have been hit and do something for their economy.

Totally agree. Our hearts goes out to them and as someone else has said I hope that the cruise ship 'powers that be' dip their hands in their pockets to help. Can't imagine the devastation ..and another storm approaching some. So sad.

I very much doubt any ships will be visiting St.Martin this year. Not only have they suffered devastating damage, it appears to be a bit out of control - people with guns and machetes are reported to be looting the remaining shops/houses.I fear it's going to be a long and hard road for some of these islands.

Just read on the BBC news that Carnival have cancelled four cruises that were due to leave soon and more may be cancelled. I would expect it to be around a year before St Martin is up and running. The whole population of Barbuda is being evacuated to Antigua. Of course these two islands, being independent , will receive no financial support from any government so lets hope somebody starts a crowdfunding project to help them out.

I didn't have any difficulty understanding what you meant. Some just don't read things properly.

A colleague of mine is going on her first cruise ever next month to the Caribbean with her husband who is a very reluctant cruiser and we was duscussing Irma the other day. The first thing we talked about was the safety of the residents on the island's that they are due to visit which includes St Maarten, the second was the damage to the infrastructure and lastly their cruise to that island.

I suggested that P&O like the other cruise companies will probably be making numerous phone calls to the harbour authorities of the other islands that have not been in the path of the hurricane. The past thing any company would want to do is cancel a cruise because of the significant loss of revenue.

My family and I have been on two Caribbean cruises and we have some fantastic memories of visiting St Maarten and we are planning on going again in a few years time.

How my discussion ended was that if they cannot visit the affected islands, then its a good excuse for another cruise ! However, my colleague said it was unlikely they would be going on another cruise for a number of reasons and they are bitterly disappointed that it is highly likely they cannot visit St Maarten.

Now that is not a selfish or unfeeling emotion, its a fact that they have saved for this holiday for 18 months and for them the highlight of that cruise is likely to be bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

A colleague of mine is going on her first cruise ever next month to the Caribbean with her husband who is a very reluctant cruiser and we was duscussing Irma the other day. The first thing we talked about was the safety of the residents on the island's that they are due to visit which includes St Maarten, the second was the damage to the infrastructure and lastly their cruise to that island.

I suggested that P&O like the other cruise companies will probably be making numerous phone calls to the harbour authorities of the other islands that have not been in the path of the hurricane. The past thing any company would want to do is cancel a cruise because of the significant loss of revenue.

My family and I have been on two Caribbean cruises and we have some fantastic memories of visiting St Maarten and we are planning on going again in a few years time.

How my discussion ended was that if they cannot visit the affected islands, then its a good excuse for another cruise ! However, my colleague said it was unlikely they would be going on another cruise for a number of reasons and they are bitterly disappointed that it is highly likely they cannot visit St Maarten.

Now that is not a selfish or unfeeling emotion, its a fact that they have saved for this holiday for 18 months and for them the highlight of that cruise is likely to be bypassed.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Forums mobile app

Hi Mark,

I'm in a similar situation. I know lots of people are commenting against posts when an individual is asking a question, that will likely require a factual response, rather than an emotional one. I'm sure many of these questions may feel insensitive, but no one knows the reasons for the question in the first place.

We are due to go on our first Caribbean cruise in November and out of all the ports that we definitely wanted to visit is St Maarten. This port has a real emotional pull for my Husband and I. My first born son, all he ever wanted to do from a young age was to fly planes and spent many a time using the flight simulator to 'fly' into St Maarten's Airport as it's a challenging landing strip. My son passed away last year, out of all the ports it was visiting the beach by the airport that was really important to us.

Of course out of everyone, I know true loss as no parent should lose a child, so really feel for those affected by Hurricane Irma, but buildings / homes can be replaced, people can't, so it's those that have lost loved ones where my compassion lies. Unfortunately Hurricane Irma has also affected my plans and this may come across as selfish to some, but as you can see, I have my reasons.

Just a few thoughts regarding this terrible tragedy. Caribbean islanders are very resilient and although this is the worst hurricane that they have experienced to date, they are actually very experienced in dealing with the aftermath of tropical storms and hurricanes and they will rebuild and bounce back. Of course, this is going to take time and they are going to need lots of financial help wherever it comes from. Depending on which Island they are, some will get more help than others. Cruise lines have a vested interest in helping out and I am sure that they will do their best. We the cruisers should also consider doing something to help. I really do hope that if at all possible, P&O stick to their original ports of call. After all, it is the most damaged Islands that will need the most help. When we go ashore, the weather will still be wonderful, the beaches fabulous and the islander`s charm and hospitality will be the same. What we will see is the aftermath and attempts at rebuilding and trying to carry on earning a living the best way they can. We cruise passengers can and should consider making a tremendous effort to spend more money than we would normally do when ashore. I for one do not want to have my cruise cancelled if at all possible. Why not decide to patronise the market stall holders and small shopkeepers more? Buy an extra beer? Eat a lunch ashore ashore instead of onboard? Tourism is the main economy and the lifeblood of the Islands. Without our help ,life is going to be very hard for years to come. I have enjoyed many visits to these Islands over the years and I intend to be as generous as possible when I go in November ( Arcadia). it will be payback time for me. .

Just a few thoughts regarding this terrible tragedy. Caribbean islanders are very resilient and although this is the worst hurricane that they have experienced to date, they are actually very experienced in dealing with the aftermath of tropical storms and hurricanes and they will rebuild and bounce back. Of course, this is going to take time and they are going to need lots of financial help wherever it comes from. Depending on which Island they are, some will get more help than others. Cruise lines have a vested interest in helping out and I am sure that they will do their best. We the cruisers should also consider doing something to help. I really do hope that if at all possible, P&O stick to their original ports of call. After all, it is the most damaged Islands that will need the most help. When we go ashore, the weather will still be wonderful, the beaches fabulous and the islander`s charm and hospitality will be the same. What we will see is the aftermath and attempts at rebuilding and trying to carry on earning a living the best way they can. We cruise passengers can and should consider making a tremendous effort to spend more money than we would normally do when ashore. I for one do not want to have my cruise cancelled if at all possible. Why not decide to patronise the market stall holders and small shopkeepers more? Buy an extra beer? Eat a lunch ashore ashore instead of onboard? Tourism is the main economy and the lifeblood of the Islands. Without our help ,life is going to be very hard for years to come. I have enjoyed many visits to these Islands over the years and I intend to be as generous as possible when I go in November ( Arcadia). it will be payback time for me. .

We are on the same cruise in November. Totally agree with every word you say, and will have two extra beers to help the economy (!) as well as spending as much as we can.