Do cruise passanger's need a visa or are they in transit?

Hello,

We are a group of 8 doing the Marella Asian Cruise. 7 are UK passport holders and 1 has a Malta passport but lives in the UK.

For places like Bangkok and Koh Samui the Malta passport is not on the Thai Visa waiver list. Do you know if they will need one or are they just considered in transit?

Many thanks

Nikki

Thank you, yes I have looked at this but its lots of different opinions of whether the visa is under the cruise ship as you are in transit or you need a holiday visa.

Having looked at the Thai Consul website it states that Malta is one of 19 countries that qualifies for Visa on Arrival so a 'holiday visa' is not required.

There is an application form that will need to be completed on arrival and an associated fee to be paid.

It would be prudent to ask the Marella care team or your travel agent as to how the procedure will be dealt with on arrival at the first Thai port. I should imagine that the ship will be in possession of the appropriate forms, and will debit the passenger's on board account with the fee.

That procedure will apply to all passengers visiting Vietnam I believe.

We are on Enchanting Far East and expect some sort of Immigration procedure even though British Citizens have visa exemption in Thailand.

I'm sure there will be other passengers with different nationality passports who will also have to be dealt with.

P.S.

In my experience you are only considered 'in transit' when you are doing exactly that e.g. you have arrived in Barbados after completing a Caribbean cruise, and are then flying out.

Some countries do not recognize 'in transit' unless you are at an airport catching a connecting flight and you do not cross the customs line.

Having looked at the Thai Consul website it states that Malta is one of 19 countries that qualifies for Visa on Arrival so a 'holiday visa' is not required.

There is an application form that will need to be completed on arrival and an associated fee to be paid.

It would be prudent to ask the Marella care team or your travel agent as to how the procedure will be dealt with on arrival at the first Thai port. I should imagine that the ship will be in possession of the appropriate forms, and will debit the passenger's on board account with the fee.

That procedure will apply to all passengers visiting Vietnam I believe.

We are on Enchanting Far East and expect some sort of Immigration procedure even though British Citizens have visa exemption in Thailand.

I'm sure there will be other passengers with different nationality passports who will also have to be dealt with.

Many thanks for this. Nikki

Many thanks for this. Nikki

I would recommend all people intending to book the new Asia cruises check out the visa requirements and costs for each country before booking. The Indian Visa is particularly difficult and expensive as there are many different types of visa and having the wrong one could mean being refused entry. I fear there will be many lost deposits if people find out after they have booked just how much extra they have to budget for.

I would recommend all people intending to book the new Asia cruises check out the visa requirements and costs for each country before booking. The Indian Visa is particularly difficult and expensive as there are many different types of visa and having the wrong one could mean being refused entry. I fear there will be many lost deposits if people find out after they have booked just how much extra they have to budget for.

There is an interesting thread on the P&O Board titled 'India Visa Stuff'.

India seems to want a visa for any type of entry.