Options for Enjoying a Drink in Our Stateroom?

BlueWaterBaby

My girlfriend and I had the same delema as the OP so we brought two 20oz insulated drink containers with us, they are sleek and small and perfect for excursion days as well. We simply get 2 drinks each, transfer to the containers, then order one drink more of each type, so we have the original glass to drink from. When we need a refill, we have stored drinks in the insulated containers at a nice temp, especially if you keep them in the mini fridge while enjoying the first drink.

That made our balcony time much better in our opinion and we didn’t have to worry about spillage on the way back from the bar.

I hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!!

That’s a phenomenal idea!! So would you just order straight shots or actually mixed drinks?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That’s a phenomenal idea!! So would you just order straight shots or actually mixed drinks?

Never used it for shots or beer, just mixed drinks and wine. Also works well getting off the ship and into port, can’t bring beer bottles or obvious alcoholic drinks into port but the insulated cup keeps your beverage concealed and cold for hours.

The bottle will still beat the price of individual drinks.

This is NCL where most people have the UBP.

The best method depends on what drinks you prefer. The first day, ask your room steward to remove all of the stuff from the fridge. Then you have room to stockpile extra bottled screwtop beers, double glasses of wine, and a pitcher of ice water😉

Since a regular wine pour is about 1/3 of their large glasses, doubling and trippling your wine volume is done easily at the wine bars. Just ask for more glasses and pour them into one.

And use a different vessel for mixed drinks as described above.

Cheers! :wine-glass::cocktail::wine-glass::tropical-drink::champagne-toast:

Never used it for shots or beer, just mixed drinks and wine. Also works well getting off the ship and into port, can’t bring beer bottles or obvious alcoholic drinks into port but the insulated cup keeps your beverage concealed and cold for hours.

Not sure I would recommend bringing alcohol off the ship into a foreign country. You could get into some serious trouble if caught.

Yes, the Bar Set up is ridiculously expensive considering the OP has the UBP!!

I've done the bar set up before the days of UBP and they don't provide nearly enough mixers, sodas, tonic, etc that you would need.

Walk to the bar, order your drink which is already included int he cost of your cruise and walk back to your balcony. It's the easiest, cheapest option.

Just get 2 drinks each then go to your balcony. It is much cheaper.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My preferred method. You can always get a double. You can also put one in the fridge for later. A glass of bubbly on the balcony is so delightful.

NCL is still allowing wine brought on ($15 fee) ?? Somewhere I read that they were not going to allow that anymore .... would love to be able to bring on wine when we go on our Hawaii cruise in March. Thanks for any info - Jan

We just did this in Hawai‘i. We brought two bottles and $15 corkage fee each.

We just did this in Hawai‘i. We brought two bottles and $15 corkage fee each.

Thank you so much for the quick answer. I'm going to be in Honolulu for 2 days before our cruise .... now I just need to find a wine store (don't think I want to bring them in my luggage from Maine). Thanks again, Jan

Thank you so much for the quick answer. I'm going to be in Honolulu for 2 days before our cruise .... now I just need to find a wine store (don't think I want to bring them in my luggage from Maine). Thanks again, Jan

Actually we put ours in our checked luggage. Worked out fine for us. We just picked a couple of our favorite wines and enjoyed them on the ship. We had no issues with the wine in our checked baggage.

Actually we put ours in our checked luggage. Worked out fine for us. We just picked a couple of our favorite wines and enjoyed them on the ship. We had no issues with the wine in our checked baggage.

Interesting --- did you still have to pay the $15 corkage fee. I'm going to assume that you didn't have to go to the "naughty room" to collect your luggage!!! Jan

You can bring as many bottles as you like, you are supposed to pay $15 for each, as a service charge, regardless if you bring a cork screw or it’s a screw top. We paid 3 out of 4 times, after having our carry ons X-rayed. On our last cruise, there were delays in the terminal, and I didn’t even see a manned table after x-ray to get stickers. On the previous cruises, we were directed to a table to get charged.

Sorry- I didn’t realize when I originally posted that this was on a different line. My app doesn’t always make it easy to determine. On Carnival you can bring 2 bottles each. The only time you pay a corkage fee is if you take the bottle to the dining room

Interesting --- did you still have to pay the $15 corkage fee. I'm going to assume that you didn't have to go to the "naughty room" to collect your luggage!!! Jan

The naughty room?? Whaaat? Haha nope. We told guest services upon arrival and they told us to go to the wine bar to pick up our bottles and pay our fees. Easy peasy.

• 3 months later...

I liked getting two drinks and taking them to the room. One in the fridge the other to sip on the balcony.

I agree anyone with a UBP has paid the most they are going to pay. They can limit it to just wine and honestly it seems like the cruise line would make money. That would be 4 less glasses of wine to serve and not to mention cups and shorter lines at the bar.

My girlfriend and I had the same delema as the OP so we brought two 20oz insulated drink containers with us, they are sleek and small and perfect for excursion days as well. We simply get 2 drinks each, transfer to the containers, then order one drink more of each type, so we have the original glass to drink from. When we need a refill, we have stored drinks in the insulated containers at a nice temp, especially if you keep them in the mini fridge while enjoying the first drink.

That made our balcony time much better in our opinion and we didn’t have to worry about spillage on the way back from the bar.

I hope this helps and enjoy your cruise!!

Great idea!

Jenn

Myrtle Beach[emoji267]

Worth the extra hassle.

The bar set up isn't just expensive, its obscene. If I take the Baileys as an example. The bar set up price for a 1L bottle is $100, at present you can buy the same 1L bottle of Baileys for just £12.90 which is a touch under $20, even though this is a promo price and I could not take it on board, I'd rather take a few walks to the bar than be exploited by NCL to the tune of roughly $80, is it really worth it to avoid a little crowding. I've been on the Epic and it isn't quite that bad.

Yeah, but in Canada that bottle of Bailey's is $40, so....