12 Waterfalls Walking ?

3smithboys

How long (time wise) does it take to get to get into the water? We are going in August and the 12 Waterfalls looks great; however, I suffer from migraines and can’t do extreme heat for long periods of time. If I can get into the water, I’ll be fine.

We did a cave tubing excursion in Belize several years ago,and it said on the website that there was a short 15 minute walk. It was an hour....in the rainforest... in the summer... It was not “unBelizeable” ;p My kids still call it the worst excursion ever!

• 1 month later...

Hahahaha - you made me laugh. Our family still talks about that ridiculous walk to the cave tubing in Belize as well - all while trying to carry your tube. We had about 8 kids under the age of 12 and they weren't having it. I don't think I could talk them into doing it again if I tried.

Sorry - I don't know the answer to your question. I was hoping to find the answer out as well. We're going to give it a try but would like to know what to expect. I've read in some places it's about 35 minutes. We shall see.

There is quite a bit of walking. In August it will be very hot and humid.

First, the walk from the ship down the pier through the port and out to the main highway where we had to meet the tour was probably 10-15 minutes (maybe 1/2 mile or so).

The walk to the start of the waterfalls depends on whether you do 7, 12 or 27. We did 12 and the walk was maybe 30-40 minutes. It starts out flat until you cross the river, then it is uphill most of the rest of the way. They did stop about 1/2 way to let people rest.

One tip - ration you water or bring / buy extra. The one bottle they gave us was not enough, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 3 weeks later...

Did it a year ago this past October.. I am 'fluffy'... and it is a LOT of uphill walking before you get to the first waterfall..and yes, it is hot. If you go, and I cannot stress this enough.. closed toe water shoes or sneakers you just can throw away. The riverbeds are not smooth, and quite rocky, and depending on how much rain ( or not) the water can be very murky, you will not be able to see where your feet are..

14718679_10210520232622973_6132338159576845849_n.jpg.0a32af618d2fdc28c493d630b6ac8ccc.jpg

14725625_10210520251663449_2086824883598756345_n.jpg.08b43941488125e09042d3ac86ad42c0.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
How long (time wise) does it take to get to get into the water? We are going in August and the 12 Waterfalls looks great; however, I suffer from migraines and can’t do extreme heat for long periods of time. If I can get into the water, I’ll be fine.

We did a cave tubing excursion in Belize several years ago,and it said on the website that there was a short 15 minute walk. It was an hour....in the rainforest... in the summer... It was not “unBelizeable” ;p My kids still call it the worst excursion ever!

We did the 7 in December as a last minute thing because our original excursion got cancelled, i second what the other person said you need some good closed toe sandals, like some Keens. And like they’ve also said once you cross the river it’s uphill, and it’s a little gradual at first but then it gets steep! LOL It rained the day we went so it was muddy and slippery so you had to take small steps. It’s a pretty rigorous hike I’d say before you get to the waterfalls, and I’d agree with the previous poster, it’s probably 30-40 minutes. I walk a lot at work and even do hills and stairs but this had me feeling my heartbeat in my head. LOL

As long as your family is in relatively good shape, and unless someone in your group is slowing you down, 30 to 40 minutes is probably an overestimate for 7-12 waterfalls.

My family did all 27 waterfalls last week. According to my camera, we crossed the river at the start of the hike at 10:10...

IMG_3115.thumb.jpg.ad4207c6370c36a48031f56200f8df8e.jpg

and we were in front of #27 at 10:55...

IMG_3116.thumb.jpg.bc1e6f8036019fccf0064308b89b9037.jpg

The hike uphill was tiring, but it was well worth it. I’m so glad that we did all 27. We had the first 15 to ourselves, and when we hit the wall of people at 12 (there had to be over 100 people waiting in line for their turn to jump), our guides led us to the front of the line. Here are a couple pictures along the way.

IMG_3119.thumb.jpg.ddbf7c6f71a5465ae9bb73ae551da108.jpg

IMG_3121.thumb.jpg.a0e8c252c2d99c7ceecfc6349aca2f24.jpg

We were crossing the river at the beginning/end again at 1:00.

Most of my pictures and videos are too large to post. May try to upload more later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Kelsey D