Coffee! And CPAP questions...

Janeille

Hi all! We are booked on the Allure . I’ll just be upfront- I’m a nurse, I’m picky about my coffee yes it is vital. We have the ultimate, covers everything kind of drink package & I will admit I was momentarily duped into thinking it covered Starbucks on board. Now I realize it mentions specialty coffee, but excluded Starbucks specifically.

Which brings me to my question- what exactly is the specialty coffee included? Also, are there typically alternative (coconut or almond) milk available on board?

Second to my coffee needs are my husbands need to breathe while he sleeps. He uses a cpap (pretty standard US model, uses 110v at home). Is there an outlet near enough to the bed for the 4 ft cord to reach? We are in a large inside stateroom if that matters at all. I’ve read conflicting info on the allowance of extension cords... I’d hate to short circuit the ship.

All replies so appreciated from this wonderful community!

The coffee is Seattle's best if I remember correctly. There are Starbucks like selections, and alcoholic coffees as well.

My husband and I both use a CPAP and did so on Harmony. Email the special needs department and request distilled water and an extension cord. I will find the link or someone will find it before me. They will make sure it's in the room.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Thank you! I will be in contact with the special need department. I appreciate the mention of needing to request distilled water. Sometimes the most obvious is overlooked. We would have totally forgotten that & risked damaging the cpap. I’m certainly not wasting checked luggage space on a gallon of water. ��

Hi all! We are booked on the Allure . I’ll just be upfront- I’m a nurse, I’m picky about my coffee yes it is vital. We have the ultimate, covers everything kind of drink package & I will admit I was momentarily duped into thinking it covered Starbucks on board. Now I realize it mentions specialty coffee, but excluded Starbucks specifically.

Which brings me to my question- what exactly is the specialty coffee included? Also, are there typically alternative (coconut or almond) milk available on board?

Second to my coffee needs are my husbands need to breathe while he sleeps. He uses a cpap (pretty standard US model, uses 110v at home). Is there an outlet near enough to the bed for the 4 ft cord to reach? We are in a large inside stateroom if that matters at all. I’ve read conflicting info on the allowance of extension cords... I’d hate to short circuit the ship.

Hey there... I am a nurse as well, and understand the need for the coffee. I also use a cpap. The specialty coffee is good, just on this ship it is not Starbucks brand. You will be able to get lattes, macchiatos, blended frozen coffee's cappuccinos, and iced variations of those I mentioned.

For the cpap, fill out the form at https://secure.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/guestSpecialNeeds.do and they will email you back the next day. They will put a gallon of distilled water, and an extension cord in your room. If you forget to fill out this form, which I have done a couple times, jus tell the steward and they will bring you the same. No charge for this service.

Enjoy your cruise.

Thank you! I will be in contact with the special need department. I appreciate the mention of needing to request distilled water. Sometimes the most obvious is overlooked. We would have totally forgotten that & risked damaging the cpap. I’m certainly not wasting checked luggage space on a gallon of water. ��

I wasn't aware that you could damage the CPAP. I thought distilled water was required for the optional humidifier. It is worth checking to see if it can be disabled just in case you run into problems with obtaining distilled water.

I ask this because I use a Resmed machine which only requires distilled water if I use the optional humidifier which can be removed.

With regards to question from OP ... Always an idea to inform special needs so that they are aware that you will be using a CPAP on board. They will provide an extension chord and distilled water. Sometimes you have to chase if it is not already in the cabin when you arrive. Sometimes the power outlet is by the bedside but not always in my experience.

I always prepared for mishaps so have backup plans. That means that I do take a compliant extension chord as backup. The worst that can happen is that it gets confiscated when you board the ship and returned at the end of the cruise.

I think all your CPAP needs have been answered above, so on to the Coffee.

When there is a dedicated Starbucks on board, these coffees aren't included from this shop/outlet onboard and are charged. If you were on a smaller ship then there is a Coffee Shop that sells Starbucks Coffee that is included in your package.

So back to the Allure.

On Deck Five is Cafe Promenade - This will give you Seattle Best Coffee in all the types you can get in Starbucks. (some people prefer this to Starbucks, but I think it is the same quality) This is the venue I prefer the most.

On Deck Eight is Park Cafe - This venue is normally missed by guests as it's in Central Park and all the other venues are paid extra dining venues, so people think this venue is the same, but it's not and great for a lunchtime visit.

The coffee that is served after dinner IMHO is not filtered and tastes like the instant, avoid these.

Enjoy your cruise, she is a lovely ship.

Which brings me to my question- what exactly is the specialty coffee included? there is a coffee bar that may or may not serve 'Starbucks beans' you just cannot use it at the branded Strarbucks' kiosk/venue. Also, are there typically alternative (coconut or almond) milk available on board? not as a general rule. you may have to request Special needs to have it provided.

Second to my coffee needs are my husbands need to breathe while he sleeps. He uses a cpap (pretty standard US model, uses 110v at home). Is there an outlet near enough to the bed for the 4 ft cord to reach? not a convceneinet one. agai8n,m contact special needs and an extension cord and a gallon of distilled will be in the cabin( or just as the cabin steward )We are in a large inside stateroom if that matters at all. I’ve read conflicting info on the allowance of extension cords... I’d hate to short circuit the ship.

they will provide a cord that They have vetted and deemed safe to use on board. bringing your own can result in it being confiscated( and absolutely do NOT bring anything with a surge protector)

When we were on Explorer of the Seas on the trans-Pacific last October and I was using a CPAP, they put a big, red "oxygen in use" above my door. I explained to the cabin steward that I did not have oxygen in use, that it was just a CPAP, but he said he was instructed to leave the sign there. My sister was also using a CPAP and had the same sign posted above her door. After I had asked to have it taken down, he at least pushed it up very high so it was not very noticeable.

We were on the Allure a few weeks ago. We forgot to contact the Special Needs dept in advance regarding my DH's CPAP. Instead we just asked our stateroom attendant for distilled water and extension cord. As previously mentioned, he showed us that there was an outlet at the foot of the bed (just behind the mattress). Therefore, we didn't need an extension cord. He also brought us distilled water.

My husband also uses a CPAP and we have found there is a plug on the wall behind the bed. (you wouldn't know it is there unless you look, or ask)

I too am persnickety about my coffee. Their coffee in isn't horrible. When I sailed Allure and Oasis there was Seattle Best in the Café Promenade.

I’m a nurse as well. The Seattle’s Best is good. It’s regular brewed coffee (NOT made from syrup- I was set straight on that, with flair and humor, by our head waiter.) The coffee you pay for is specialty coffee. If you don’t mind the brewed stuff, save your money. I drink it black, but I did see standard pitchers of milk and cream. There are sweeteners. I’m not sure about alternative milks. There is also hot tea available at the coffee stations. I cup-brew and pour over ice. The cold tea on the ship-all ships I’ve been on- is made from powder and really terrible. I was on the Allure in January 2017 then on the Radiance in July. I bought a coffee punch card on the Radiance for specialty coffees. I shared it to use it up.

Sent from my iPad using Forums