Dog on ship, continued

An "emotional support dog" pooped yesterday at Guest Services. Emotionally dependent owner just walked away.

Someone got a fake certificate ! No properly trained service dog or not would "poop" in public unless the dumb owner never took it to the proper place. Actually saw a legit seeing eye dog being taken to the designed spot on one of my cruises. In a shuttle bus going to Houston airport a young lady had a lap dog - no leash no cage and was flying with it on her knee she told me because it was her support dog! Sure! Can't believe that an airline would not at least insist on a kennel - it was small enough to fit under the seat. I should have declared all these years my large Labradors .

Delta requires proof from a medical professional prior to taking an emotional support animal onboard. Hopefully the cruise lines will start to do the same.

[ATTACH]415066[/ATTACH]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I was encouraged when I saw this initially posted by Delta Airlines. It sounds great in theory but in reality all an owner of an ESA needs to comply can be obtained from an online service without ever seeing a Doctor.

https://esadoctors.com/airline/delta-airlines-emotional-support-animal/

In addition, the required Confirmation of Training form only has to be signed by the ESA animal owner. No formal training required. Might be a step in the right direction but certainly one that is easily scammed.

Form contents from the DELTA website

Emotional Support/ Psychiatric Service Animal RequestConfirmation of Animal Training

Please fill out and return the following through a service request at delta.com/mytrips. Allanimals onboard an aircraft must show evidence that they are trained to behave in public.

As a confirmation of training, please complete the form.

Customer Full Name or SkyMiles number:

I confirm that this animal has been trained to behave in a public setting andtakes my direction upon command (Mark check box to confirm.)

I understand that if my service animal acts inappropriately, that it will beconsidered not acceptable for air travel and will be denied boarding or will beremoved from the aircraft. (Mark check box to confirm.)

Name (printed):Signature: Date:

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise

Wow, so disabled people can't enjoy things like vacations if they have service dogs. See, this is why I like animals more than people.

Genuine support dogs should be welcome anywhere with their needy owner.

It is people who abuse this that cause problems for genuine people.

An example although different is on P&O where they have introduced a RC type allowance of 1 bottle of alcohol on boarding only when before 1-1-2018 there was no restrictions on alcohol brought on board at any port of call.

This was because of total abusers using their own alcohol all the time.

My son is very allergic to dogs. So would I just have call RCI and ask if any dogs will be on board?

The problem is, even if the dog is not on board during your cruise, the dander from the dog remains on board. The dander is the culprit.

I agree with you regarding the aggressive confrontation. It can be a dangerous path.

However, a dogs butt in the grocery cart, lower level or upper, just seems all wrong to me. In my mind it is no different than a diapered baby or child sitting on the food service counter, at a place such as McDonalds. Worse yet, changing the diaper on an eating table. It just comes down to lack of consideration. Their house, go for it. Public place, no thanks.

All the time I see parents put their child in the main part of the grocery cart. Guess what? The kids are wearing shoes and guess where those shoes have been? I have always known grocery carts are full of germs and bacteria. Sanitizing wipes are made available in grocery stores but lets be honest.....who is going to wipe down the entire main cart area?

People don't use their heads or are just completely oblivious. I've never said anything to anyone who puts their child, shoes and all, in the main part of a grocery cart. It is just so wrong and gross on every level.

I agree with you regarding the aggressive confrontation. It can be a dangerous path.

However, a dogs butt in the grocery cart, lower level or upper, just seems all wrong to me. In my mind it is no different than a diapered baby or child sitting on the food service counter, at a place such as McDonalds. Worse yet, changing the diaper on an eating table. It just comes down to lack of consideration. Their house, go for it. Public place, no thanks.

One of my biggest pet peeves is people who sit their children on the counter in a fast food restaurant while placing their order. It's disgusting, whether the kid is diapered or not. Not too far behind is the parent who takes the kid's shoes off so that said kid can play in the enclosed play area, but then lets said kid run around the dining area of the restaurant barefooted.

Eileen

Saw a Yorkie-type dog in W/al-Mart in Coco Beach today. On a leash, nowhere near it could sense an owners problem. I asked if he was licensed, "of course"! For what? "I. Don't have to tell you!" Then, "You're making him nervous." "He's no more a service dog than I am and you people make me sick!" My guess is that he wanted to walk his dog in the air conditioning! He was NOT shopping!

IF and I do mean IF this actually happened, and the guest was AWARE that it happened, I would have simply said "Excuse me, do you need help cleaning this up?" If that did not get their attention, I would have simply acted like an adult, asked guest services for a paper towel, and helped dispose of it, because I would not want anyone to accidentally step in it, and spread it around.

Just because some seem to find it hard to adult, (person not picking up after their dog) does not mean it has to rub off on me.

Just because we're RN's and clean up poop almost daily does not mean we should feel compelled to let something like that slide. I would have picked it up with a paper towel and delivered it to the dog owner to dispose of. It's harder to ignore when it's right in front of their face.

Just because we're RN's and clean up poop almost daily does not mean we should feel compelled to let something like that slide. I would have picked it up with a paper towel and delivered it to the dog owner to dispose of. It's harder to ignore when it's right in front of their face.

Not sure where you thought I had made reference to being an RN. I was making reference to being an adult. As I said, a mature adult would have brought it to the offenders attention, and if that didn’t work then to the ship staff... instead of being so concerned with reporting it to CC, like this place is somehow an authority on anything. My compulsion to clean it up has nothing to do with me being a RN, and everything to do with me being a responsible adult, who is not concerned with the activity of being “shocked” that this occurred.

No where did I say it should slide, but it’s certainly not my place to reprimand. That would be RCI’s job.

Saw a Yorkie-type dog in W/al-Mart in Coco Beach today. On a leash, nowhere near it could sense an owners problem. I asked if he was licensed, "of course"! For what? "I. Don't have to tell you!" Then, "You're making him nervous." "He's no more a service dog than I am and you people make me sick!" My guess is that he wanted to walk his dog in the air conditioning! He was NOT shopping!

That is sad.... that you decided to approach someone, whom you did not mention was affecting you, and berate them. I hope you feel better about your existence.

Not sure where you thought I had made reference to being an RN. I was making reference to being an adult. As I said, a mature adult would have brought it to the offenders attention, and if that didn’t work then to the ship staff... instead of being so concerned with reporting it to CC, like this place is somehow an authority on anything. My compulsion to clean it up has nothing to do with me being a RN, and everything to do with me being a responsible adult, who is not concerned with the activity of being “shocked” that this occurred.

No where did I say it should slide, but it’s certainly not my place to reprimand. That would be RCI’s job.

Just saw your icon and assumed you were suggesting going into "RN" mode and cleaning up after people. It's kind of what we do.

Terrible that this happened, but on a positive great that Southwest will be reviewing their policies re. service animals hopefully other airlines will do the same. This has gotten totally out of control.