No formal nights!

marylizcat

How this saves Fred money is something I have been wondering about also. As far as I can see the only difference in the dinner is the chocolate at the end. Surely not a great expense.

Perhaps it is not so much about saving money but more about attracting younger cruisers who are not so keen on dressing up as us older ones.

Perhaps it is not so much about saving money but more about attracting younger cruisers who are not so keen on dressing up as us older ones.

If they want to attract younger cruisers maybe they should look at the activities and entertainment they provide and also get rid of the stupid sing a long with songs from the First World War.

I am not saying you are wrong, but if so, I am not sure how many people will delve into the small print at the time of booking and find out that there are no formal nights on a particular cruise? Also, I think cruise lines tend to be divided in the public’s mind into those that have formal nights and those that don’t. Will a line which sometimes has them and sometimes doesn’t register with the public as such? I think it would require a major advertising campaign to get such a message across! After all, it is a very muddled message!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Quite a few cruise lines that have formal nights, don't have them on short cruises. The "Normal" cut off point is 4 nights or less. As Fred doesn't do many short breaks they have selected the 5 night or less option.

A formal night is nice on holiday but not essential for a cruise.The destinations, ship, food, and entertainment are a higher priority for most passengers.

Quite a few cruise lines that have formal nights, don't have them on short cruises. The "Normal" cut off point is 4 nights or less. As Fred doesn't do many short breaks they have selected the 5 night or less option.

A formal night is nice on holiday but not essential for a cruise.The destinations, ship, food, and entertainment are a higher priority for most passengers.

It would be useful to know which lines those are? (Note that you have got the number of nights for Fred wrong as it is 6 nights or less now. In other words, you have to go for a week or more).

It would be useful to know which lines those are? (Note that you have got the number of nights for Fred wrong as it is 6 nights or less now. In other words, you have to go for a week or more).

Thanks for the corrections. That day difference does change things a bit more. So no short breaks. Why not label it as any cruise less than 7 days equals no formal nights.

I understand why no formal on 4 or fewer nights but a 6-night cruise there really should be one.

Thanks for the corrections. That day difference does change things a bit more. So no short breaks. Why not label it as any cruise less than 7 days equals no formal nights.

I understand why no formal on 4 or fewer nights but a 6-night cruise there really should be one.

I recently went on a 6-night cruise to Scotland on the "Black Watch" and there was one formal night.

I recently went on a 6-night cruise to Scotland on the "Black Watch" and there was one formal night.

How recent was it? Could be that the number of nights has only just been increased. Or else you were just lucky!

Our 14 night cruise in South Africa in January only had two formal nights, but I wondered if that was because it was a fly-cruise.

I would also be interested to know when this cruise was as according to Fred they changed it in March last year. If your cruise was after March 17 then there is definately a mixed message.

Did anyone actually notice this change advertised because I didn't. It took a significant amount of digging to find out about it and for me it does change the tone of the cruise.

How recent was it? Could be that the number of nights has only just been increased. Or else you were just lucky!

Our 14 night cruise in South Africa in January only had two formal nights, but I wondered if that was because it was a fly-cruise.

The Scottish cruise was in December 2017, just a few weeks ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Get into the 21st century guys. Formal nights are antiquated - do you think you're on Titanic or the Queen Mary? Even without the "formals", these cruises are a long way from attracting the Benidorm/Blackpool types

Says the person with just 2 posts and the other one is with no one else on the roll call. Hence we are all living in the 20th Century and not using the computers or this site, lol

Get into the 21st century guys. Formal nights are antiquated - do you think you're on Titanic or the Queen Mary? Even without the "formals", these cruises are a long way from attracting the Benidorm/Blackpool types

I see you are new to Cruise Critic. I am afraid the site does not welcome trolls.

I see you are new to Cruise Critic. I am afraid the site does not welcome trolls.

Nothing to do with being a "troll". Simply pointing out that (thankfully) your views are outdated and Fred Olsen like some others are becoming more modern in their thinking. If you don't like the service they are providing you are of course free to take your custom elsewhere. Enjoy your cruise ;);)

While you are of course entitled to your opinion I have to disagree, they are part of an enjoyable cruise tradition and there are as many younger people enjoy them as those who are more mature. In fact some young people make more of an effort so it not "antiquated"

Just for information the formals on the Queen Mary are really no different to those on Fred or any other cruise line so that comment makes no sense (I'm not quite old enough to have traveled on the Titanic :))

Shorter cruises with no formal nights do attract a different crowd and so it's a genuine concern that the tone of the cruise will be different. Why do you think some lines don't sell the all inclusive packages on shorter cruises - because they are well aware of this fact.

I believe the expression is ‘Don’t feed the trolls!’.

We all had to start as new posters on here and because someone has an opinion I or others may disagree with it does not necessarily make them a troll.

Time will tell.

Everyone has different tastes and everyone wold do well to accept that fact. We choose FO especially for the small ships with some traditional elements, an important one of which is the formal night. I We do not consider ourselves old fashioned, although 'of the 20th Century' (we are over 18!). Few people bother to dress smartly to go out for an evening - theatre, dinner, etc., so it makes a nice change to holiday in an environment where some do make the effort. Not for everyone (as above) and those that do not wish to participate are well catered for in alternatives. We all need to respect others' choices.

UPDATE on Fred Olsen website

3 nights or less

Smart casual throughout

3 - 5 nights

Captain's Welcome Party, but no formal nights

6 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 1x formal night

7- 12 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 2x formal nights

13- 20 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 3x formal nights

22 nights +

Captain's welcome Party + 1x formal night each week

UPDATE on Fred Olsen website

3 nights or less

Smart casual throughout

3 - 5 nights

Captain's Welcome Party, but no formal nights

6 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 1x formal night

7- 12 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 2x formal nights

13- 20 nights

Captain's Welcome Party + 3x formal nights

22 nights +

Captain's welcome Party + 1x formal night each week

Thanks!

Seems kind of odd to have a Captain’s Welcome Party, but not designate it as formal. I cannot see what difference it would make to Fred or the crew if the passengers are dressed formally or smart casually? So why not make it a formal night?

Thanks!

Seems kind of odd to have a Captain’s Welcome Party, but not designate it as formal. I cannot see what difference it would make to Fred or the crew if the passengers are dressed formally or smart casually? So why not make it a formal night?

True, I see it as another formal night but with a free Captain Cocktail, whereas the formal nights there isn't a meet the Captain, but still a need to dress up.