Info on getting to and visiting Manhatten from the QM2

funcruiser2000

Funcruiser - I've got a few questions...

- In general, from the Red Hook terminal, to nearby Brooklyn destinations like DUMBO or Prospect Park, would you recommend a taxi/Uber/Lyft or walk? The immediate neighborhood around the Red Hook pier has seemed pretty desolate, but things change so fast....

- Any advice on the new ferry to Manhattan from the pier? Also, what's the neighborhood around the Manhattan pier like? Are there taxis? (I noted from the map that it's a bit of a walk to the nearest subway station)

- What would be your best advice for a nice "walk around, browse shops, have lunch" neighborhood in Brooklyn? What about the same thing easily walkable from the Pier 11 ferry stop in Manhattan.

Thanks!

Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Funcruiser: What is the closest subway stop to the Cunard Brooklyn Red Hook terminal? Is it possible to walk to the subway? Is it safe to walk there? Are there any fun things to do within walking distance of the Red Hook terminal?

Funcruiser - I've got a few questions...

- In general, from the Red Hook terminal, to nearby Brooklyn destinations like DUMBO or Prospect Park, would you recommend a taxi/Uber/Lyft or walk? The immediate neighborhood around the Red Hook pier has seemed pretty desolate, but things change so fast....

- Any advice on the new ferry to Manhattan from the pier? Also, what's the neighborhood around the Manhattan pier like? Are there taxis? (I noted from the map that it's a bit of a walk to the nearest subway station)

- What would be your best advice for a nice "walk around, browse shops, have lunch" neighborhood in Brooklyn? What about the same thing easily walkable from the Pier 11 ferry stop in Manhattan.

Thanks!

Mark

Mark,

Take a taxi, uber etc. to DUMBO. Ask the driver to drop you near Brooklyn Ice Cream on Old Fulton Street. You will be in Brooklyn Bridge Park. The views are incredible. Walk north towards the Manhattan Bridge if you want to explore. It's beautiful. Tons of restaurants, Starbucks, etc. about a block from the river.

If pier you are referring to is for the East River Ferry it's actually near Brooklyn ice Cream. Tickets are available at the pier. Tell them you want the Wall Street Pier. Again the views are incredible. If you are interested inexploring that area let me know.

Funcruiser: What is the closest subway stop to the Cunard Brooklyn Red Hook terminal? Is it possible to walk to the subway? Is it safe to walk there? Are there any fun things to do within walking distance of the Red Hook terminal?[/quote

Getting to a subway stop is not easy in Red Hook. The closest one is not within walking distance. There is a new Water Taxi route from Red Hook. Did you want to go to Manhattan? The Water Taxi might be the quickest and easiest from the ship. It makes several stops on the East River including near Wall Street in Lower Manhattan, From there you can walk to The World Trade Center, 9/11 Memorial, Staten Island Ferry, Brroklyn Bridge and the Woolworth Building. Let me know is you have any questions.

Funcruiser: we will need to get to JFK from Red Hook. How long do you think it could take? We will be docking Christmas week so I would imagine traffic will be worse than normal.

I have no idea. Wish I could help. You will be traveling from Brooklyn to Queens but I honestly have no clue. Does anyone else know?

I always use a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo for pick ups and drop offs at the pier and airports in NY. (Google them to also find a discount code for your first ride). Like most things in NY, it's heavily influenced by traffic. With no traffic, I'd guess 25 minutes; with heavy traffic - 45, based upon my experiences. Any NY natives care to weigh in?

(UPDATE - I just checked Google Maps and, because of an accident near the Kosciuszko Bridge, it estimates 55 minutes.)

Also, Funcruiser, what can you recommend near the Wall St. Pier in Manhattan? Are there taxis?

-Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

I always use a car service like Dial7 or Carmel Limo for pick ups and drop offs at the pier and airports in NY. (Google them to also find a discount code for your first ride). Like most things in NY, it;s heavily influenced by traffic. With no traffic, I'd guess 25 minutes; with heavy traffic - 45, based upon my experiences. Any NY natives care to weigh in?

Also, Funcruiser, what can you recommend near the Wall St. Pier in Manhattan? Are there taxis?

-Mark

You can literally walk across Manhattan to the Hudson River if you like. I've done it. There are taxis in the area if you don't want to walk. Very close by is the Brooklyn Bridge and the South Street Seaport. If you go left from the pier you can walk to go Battery Park and the Staten Island Ferry. You are also within walking distance of the World Trade Center, take Wall Steet to Broadway, turn right and walk to Vesey Street and turn left. If you don't want to walk cabs are fairly easy to get near the Staten Island Ferry.

Funcruiser, we will be first time on QM2 from London and will need transport to Amtrak. Would you have suggestions for that? I don't have a sense of how far the nearest Amtrak station is from Redhook. Are there plentiful taxi's available when you disembark at Redhook? I know you offered advice for Manhattan and Brooklyn waterfront, but I just thought I'd ask here in case you or anyone else might have the info I'm looking for. :) Thank you!

Funcruiser, we will be first time on QM2 from London and will need transport to Amtrak. Would you have suggestions for that? I don't have a sense of how far the nearest Amtrak station is from Redhook. Are there plentiful taxi's available when you disembark at Redhook? I know you offered advice for Manhattan and Brooklyn waterfront, but I just thought I'd ask here in case you or anyone else might have the info I'm looking for. :) Thank you!

The AMTRAK station is actually below Madison Square Garden at 7th Ave and W. 33rd Street. It's quite a bit uptown. You should be able to take a taxi but it will be quite expensive. There is a Subway line with a stop at at Penn Station. We did that once when we were taking AMTRAK home, but we were staying at a hotel in Manhattan. Getting a taxi at Redhook shouldn't be an issue.

I've taken AMTRAK a few times. Let me know if you have any questions.

The AMTRAK station is actually below Madison Square Garden at 7th Ave and W. 33rd Street. It's quite a bit uptown. You should be able to take a taxi but it will be quite expensive. There is a Subway line with a stop at at Penn Station. We did that once when we were taking AMTRAK home, but we were staying at a hotel in Manhattan. Getting a taxi at Redhook shouldn't be an issue.

I've taken AMTRAK a few times. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thank you so much!

alex_drew - having waited for an hour or so in the pitiful Penn Station waiting area, I posted a question on the E Coast Departures board, and got a reply (not that you asked)...

In case you were unaware, Luggage Check is available for $10 per piece at Amtrak there. So, if you arrive early, you can check your bags and spend some time in the area visiting the Empire State Building and Macy's. (However avoid the "junkie McDonalds" on 8th Ave & 27th?. Although even that might be preferable to the soul-draining hell that is the subterranean Penn Station.)

Funcruiser, got any good recommendations in the area if they want lunch? I was thinking Tick Tock Diner for American diner food, but otherwise, only chains like TGIFridays come to mind around there.

And I'd recommend also checking out Dial7 (dial7.com) or Carmel (carmellimo.com) between Red Hook and Penn Station as a taxi or Uber alternative. (I would not recommend taking cruise luggage on the subway)

Edited by MarkBearSF

alex_drew - having waited for an hour or so in the pitiful Penn Station waiting area, I posted a question on the E Coast Departures board, and got a reply (not that you asked)...

In case you were unaware, Luggage Check is available for $10 per piece at Amtrak there. So, if you arrive early, you can check your bags and spend some time in the area visiting the Empire State Building and Macy's. (However avoid the "junkie McDonalds" on 8th Ave & 27th?. Although even that might be preferable to the soul-draining hell that is the subterranean Penn Station.)

Funcruiser, got any good recommendations in the area if they want lunch? I was thinking Tick Tock Diner for American diner food, but otherwise, only chains like TGIFridays come to mind around there.

And I'd recommend also checking out Dial7 (dial7.com) or Carmel (carmellimo.com) between Red Hook and Penn Station as a taxi or Uber alternative. (I would not recommend taking cruise luggage on the subway)

Thank you, MarkBearSF. Had no idea about the Amtrak luggage check-in. Is that just to hold the pieces while we are out and about or is it an actual luggage check-in for your train?

No, we are, ahem, older and will not be hauling our cruise luggage on the subway. You may have already figured that out from the "flip phone" reference. :) We've heard good things about Dial7 so will look into that. We aren't going for another year (May 2019) so have lots of time to figure it out, but I always like to have my plan well in advance. :) Thanks again for any and all advice!

Thank you, MarkBearSF. Had no idea about the Amtrak luggage check-in. Is that just to hold the pieces while we are out and about or is it an actual luggage check-in for your train?

Glad to help, alex_drew. Since you carry your baggage aboard, I'm pretty sure it's just to hold your pieces while you visit.

Do you know when your train is scheduled to depart? My rough estimate is that, given decent traffic and customs clearance, you should arrive at Penn Station 11:30-noon or so which may allow more time for sightseeing beyond the immediate neighborhood. (And aside from that notable McDonalds, which even made the NY Times, the neighborhood is fine and safe.)

- Mark

Edited by MarkBearSF

Thank you so much!

Just take a cab from the terminal, it will not be that expensive. Also all the major subway stations around there have elevators to make traveling with luggage easier. I take luggage on the subway all the time, and I'm a senior!

Funcruiser, we will be first time on QM2 from London and will need transport to Amtrak. Would you have suggestions for that? I don't have a sense of how far the nearest Amtrak station is from Redhook. Are there plentiful taxi's available when you disembark at Redhook? I know you offered advice for Manhattan and Brooklyn waterfront, but I just thought I'd ask here in case you or anyone else might have the info I'm looking for. :) Thank you![/quoteF

Forgot you were going to be in Red Hook. You should walk over to the neighborhood bbq, get some great food and call car service from there. Take taxi to Jay Street Subway Station. Elevators availble. Take uptown A to Penn Station.

I also wanted to point out that Penn Station is a soul draining hell but I just couldn't do it. Thanks for stepping up. :)

There is a relatively new ferry service that operates from the Red Hook pier to Wall Street in Manhattan:

https://www.ferry.nyc/routes-and-schedules/route/south-brooklyn/

How much luggage will you have and can you manage it on your own?

Amtrak only has luggage checkin for trains that have baggage cars - long haul overnight trains to Canada, Chicago, or Florida. Otherwise it goes on overhead racks or alcoves in the passanger cars.

Amtrak only has luggage checkin for trains that have baggage cars - long haul overnight trains to Canada, Chicago, or Florida. Otherwise it goes on overhead racks or alcoves in the passanger cars.
FYI - Even short haul passengers can use the Temporary Bag Storage (not baggage check-in) at Penn Station https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/baggage-policy/at-station-baggage-services.html

Temporary Bag Storage

• Customers holding tickets for travel may store their items in Parcel Check service when available for $5.00 per item per 24 hours.

• At New York Penn Station, Washington Union Station, Chicago Union Station, Philadelphia 30th Street Station and Seattle King Street Station, the fee is $10.00 per item per 24 hours.

- Mark

FYI - Passing on advice on the Penn Station area from the thread about bag check on the E Coast Board.

"Please tell your friends to be sure to have a Black & White cookie from Zaro's, right in Penn Station (same level as the luggage check and waiting area).

Also, if they are into photography at all, and have sufficient time, the B&H Superstore is within walking distance and must be seen to be believed. (Assuming it's not a Saturday, when they are closed.)"

- Mark (and Turtles06)

I also wanted to point out that Penn Station is a soul draining hell but I just couldn't do it. Thanks for stepping up. :)

HAHA, thanks, funcruiser. You and MarkBearSF are really making me look oh-so-forward to the Penn Station experience. :) Of course, our other option is to go to one of the lovely airports and experience that delightful and restful ambiance... Ah, well, we have a little bit of time to figure things out... Seriously, thanks again for all info and advice!