Which entrance to Waterfront Station?

I am looking at taking the Skytrain from Canada Place to YVR. In doing my research, I have found that there are two entrances to Waterfront station to access the Canada line to YVR. I have maps to both entrances.

Is one entrance better than another? My DH and I are from a small rural town and find navigating a large city somewhat intimidating.

Once we are in the station is it fairly user friendly?

Bigwally...thank you so much. Interpreting that, should we enter the station on Granville?

Yes, the best and simplest choice is on Granville St. between Pender and Hastings. This is a side entrance that takes you directly to the rail line you want to use to get to the airport. Very modern looking glass enclosure entrance that sticks up in the middle of the sidewalk between the sidewalk and the road.

Also workable is West Cordova. This is the main grand entrance. This is a historic building with pillars. Once you enter the "grand hall" the Canada line (used to go to the airport) is to your left. Entrances to the other lines are straight ahead.

Once inside it is fairly simple. You will need to use vending machines to purchase your ticket (credit cards can be used). You want a two zone ticket. You tap the ticket on the gate, the doors open. There should be a good number of people coming and going. If you people watch for a minute or two you will get it very quickly.

Follow the signs down to the train platform. There are elevators if you have bags. You will want a Canada line train to "YVR" station. Usually every second train goes to "YVR". Overhead signs, and announcements will tell you where the train is going. This line starts at waterfront (so you will be boarding an empty train) and ends at YVR (so you will get off at the last stop).

At YVR, the station is connected to the airport building.

Edited by em-sk

My vote goes to the Cordova entrance (between Granville and Seymour).

The Hastings entrance requires an uphill luggage drag.

• Train out to airport is $8.20 for two people on weekdays post cruise without the YVR surcharge. Compared to the $35 plus tips for the taxi carload door to door service.
  • keep in mind from the cruise terminal to the Canada Line platform is a 10 minute luggage drag compared to the taxi line depending on when you debark. I like to be the last off the boat to avoid the congestion while enjoying my breakfast.
  • be very careful on which train you board. They alternate with the YVR and Richmond-Brighouse. Do not board the Richmond-Brighouse train as it forks off to China. I often spot airport luggage travelers missing the Bridgeport train switch announcement. Getting on the YVR train avoids the confusion.

Thank you all for your clear and precise information, which I will be printing off to take with us. We will be in Vancouver two nights, one full day before our cruise and will be staying at the Pan Pacific. We snagged a room for $139 USD per day and that includes breakfast. After arriving there we are planning to walk over to the Harbour Ctr and pick up our cruise wine at the BC Liquor store. Looks like that is near the Waterfront station and we may go over and check it out to get a lay of the land, we have also heard that it is quite a bldg. to look at and we like that sort of thing.

. . . will be staying at the Pan Pacific. We snagged a room for $139 USD per day and that includes breakfast.

Wow, any tips on how you did that? I will be in Vancouver for one night post cruise on October 1st and would love to stay at the Pan Pacific. I just haven't been able to justify the cost!

Wow, any tips on how you did that? I will be in Vancouver for one night post cruise on October 1st and would love to stay at the Pan Pacific. I just haven't been able to justify the cost!

I am in shock too at the price, and we are so thrilled. We will be there Oct 6&7, we booked an extra day because of the price. We board our ship on Oct. 8th.

I was looking at hotels on the website for my credit card and saw it. I ended up calling the Panny directly and I must say that the reservation desk has the nicest, most helpful people. I confirmed the rate and was told that it was a cruise package special that they were offering for those dates. The surprise is that it includes a full breakfast each morning, a 2pm check-out, and delivery of our luggage to the cruise ship.

My suggestion to you is to call the hotel directly and ask if there is a special for the date that you want. Good luck!

I am in shock too at the price, and we are so thrilled. We will be there Oct 6&7, we booked an extra day because of the price. We board our ship on Oct. 8th.

I was looking at hotels on the website for my credit card and saw it. I ended up calling the Panny directly and I must say that the reservation desk has the nicest, most helpful people. I confirmed the rate and was told that it was a cruise package special that they were offering for those dates. The surprise is that it includes a full breakfast each morning, a 2pm check-out, and delivery of our luggage to the cruise ship.

My suggestion to you is to call the hotel directly and ask if there is a special for the date that you want. Good luck!

I will definitely be doing that (calling direct)! I always prefer booking direct with the hotel, but it never occurred to me that such a special might be available! I will let you know how I make out with them. Thanks again!

Well, I tried, to no avail. :( She was only able to offer me a "senior" rate of $219 USD ($271 CAD). I then told her about an "acquaintance on a cruise board" who had a rate of $139 for the 6th and 7th, and she was astounded. I guess you just hit them at the right time with your phone call! I'm glad I tried, so thanks again for the information! Have a great cruise!

beckntom....I actually think that $219 is a good rate for that hotel in that area.

The rate that I got was not only on the hotel list for my credit card but also on all of the booking sites, in fact AAA had it for $130 and included a complimentary room upgrade! We decided not to go with the AAA rate because booking directly with the hotel included a free full breakfast for both mornings, a $60 value each day for both of us. I think this was a small window of opportunity and I got it just in time. I hope the same happens for you some day.

When I shared our good fortune with the roll call for our cruise, one of the members was able to snag the same rate because she acted quickly.

You're right, of course, it IS a good rate. However, I was determined to get the $139 or stick with my original hotel booking. I'm happy enough where I am and already have plans made for restaurants, etc., in that area (hotel is on Robson), so no worries. We'll be back in Vancouver in May 2019, so maybe we'll stay at the Pan Pacific then! Thanks SO much for your help!

• 8 months later...