Noumea Explorer Bus & Tour Ideas

We did the Noumea Explorer Bus in April 2008 and thought it was a fantastic idea. We were a group of 10 and never had trouble finding seats.

I too would recommend to get the first bus, as it may fill up quickly with the more people now organising their own tours.

It wasn't a long walk from where the ship docks, maybe 10 - 15 minutes.

The Noumea Explorer is a bus that can seat about 20 passengers and it leaves from the Noumea Museum / Town Hall (about a 10 min walk from where the ship docks...I think the location is called Coconut Square). At the Town Hall where you buy tickets, there is also a museum where you can explore while you wait for the bus, but keep an eye on the time.

(Photo attached of Noumea Mueeum) below.

At this museum, you are also each given a recorder/player with ear phones so you can do your own tour with english voice over while you walk past the exhibits.

The Noumea Explorer offers a great variery of locations.

We visited the Tjibaou Cultural Centre and the Aquarium and loved both. The Aquarium would be fantastic especially for kids.

The only thing with doing the Noumea Explorer Bus and your own tours instead of the ship's tours, is that you need to make sure you leave plenty of time to get back to the ship. They will not wait for you.

The Aquarium is fantastic and like none I've seen before (also good to escape the heat for a while in airconditioning).

Tjibaou Cultural Centre is a sight to see. It was designed by Renzo Piano, who also designed the "Dome Style Look" of Pacific Dawn. Fantastic scenery and great photo opportunites. One of the main trademarks of Noumea.

The bus is very cheap and a hop on hop off service to around 10 of the top tourist spots in Noumea. Alternatively, they also sell an add-on to the regular bus fare which will include all admission prices into the attractions. It is a fantastic deal and in total (bus fare and full admissions, from memory cos around $20 AUD per person, may have been cheaper for children).

Whats good is that the bus comes every hour or so and you can hop on and hop off at your convenience.

Very worth looking into. If you are after more information on this, let me know and I'll see what else I can find for you.

Souveneirs are on the more expensive side but still might find some good little bargains.

The Noumea Explorer timetable is as follows:

Stops in order as listed on the brochure:

1. Le Meridien Hotel

2. Palm Beach - Anse Vata

3. Rock on the Sail - Bus Stop

4. Lemon Bay Complex (right outside Dukes Restaurant)

5. Moselle Bay - Museum of New Caledonia - Market

6. Town Museum - Town Center Coconut Square

7. Maritime Museum - Handicraft Market

8. Zoo & Botanical Garden

9. Tjibaou Cultural Centre

Departure Timetable:

1. Le Meridien Hotel 09:00 | 10:00 | 11:15 | 12:30 | 13:45 | 15:00 | 16:15

2. Palm Beach - Anse Vata 09:03 | 10:03 | 11:18 | 12:33 | 13:48 | 15:03 | 16:18

3. Rock on the Sail - Bus Stop 09:05 | 10:05 | 11:20 | 12:35 | 13:50 | 15:05 | 16:20

4. Lemon Bay Complex 09:07 | 10:07 | 11:22 | 12:37 | 13:52 | 15:07 | 16:22

5. Moselle Bay 09:16 | 10:16 | 11:31 | 12:46 | 14:01 | 15:16 | 16:31

6. Town Museum 09:25 | 10:25 | 11:40 | 12:55 | 14:10 | 15:25 | 16:40

7. Maritime Museum CLOSED | 10:34 | 11:49 | 13:04 | 14:19 | 15:34 | 16:49

8. Zoo & Botanical Garden CLOSED | 10:45 | 12:00 | 13:15 | 14:30 | 15:45 | 17:00

9. Tjibaou Cultural Center 09:40| 10:55 | 12:10 | 13:25 | 14:40 | 15:55 | 17:10

**Tjibaou Cultural Center is closed Mondays**

From memory, for the Aquarium, you will need to get off at the Lemon Bay stop and it is only a 2 or 3 minute walk, but you might want to confirm this with them.

The timetable details above are just an indication as I am not sure if the details are still current, so please check with the company before your cruise.

If you would like more info on the Noumea Explorer feel free to ask, or you can contact them in regards to prices, bookings, timetables etc on info@arcenciel.nc

(Tjibaou Cultural Center is closed Mondays but I would check this with them as when we went, it was closed which meant there were no guided tours available but we were able to still go through and do our own tour and sightseeing)

This is the website for the Noumea Explorer.

http://www.arcenciel-voyages.nc/module/_htm/index.php?lng=en

According to this website, rates for the 2008/2009 season are:

One Day Ticket Adult - 1000 FCP / XPF - approx $14.73 AUD

One Day Ticket Child - 500 FCP / XPF - approx $7.36 AUD

Alternatively, there is a package named Pass Nature Culture & Noumea Explorer.

From the website: ( http://www.arcenciel-voyages.nc/module/_htm/index.php?lng=en )

Hop on and off at any stop throughout the day

The Noumea Explorer will drop you off at :

The Tjibaou Cultural Center

The Town Museum

The Territorial Museum

The Maritime Museum

The Zoological and botanical Park

The Aquarium (Now reopened !)

The “Nature & Culture” Pass includes one entry per person to six of Noumea’s “Must See” venues !

The rates on their website say they are for 2007 / 2008 so you will need to check if these are still the current rates, but to give you an indication, the rates are as follows:

One Day Ticket Adult - 2700 FCP / XPF - approx $39.73 AUD (includes Noumea Explorer and admission into six venues)

There does not seem to be a child rate for this package listed on the website

** I think the Aquarium may be closed on Monday so you are best to speak to the operator.

I am attaching some photos of Tjibaou Culture Centre & Aquarium.

Hope this has helped, feel free to ask any questions! :)

NOUMEA_MUSEUM.jpg

n518460958_636730_4225.jpg

Just a quick note on the cost.

We were in Noumea the 1st Sunday in June(09) and the photocopied fare schedule had the 1000xfp changed (none to subtley) to 1500xfp. Not sure if this was because it was Sunday or because the "cruise cash cow" was in town.

Just a quick note on the cost.

We were in Noumea the 1st Sunday in June(09) and the photocopied fare schedule had the 1000xfp changed (none to subtley) to 1500xfp. Not sure if this was because it was Sunday or because the "cruise cash cow" was in town.

Thanks for letting me know. The prices I got were from their website, but this morning they have emailed me their new brochure with their new prices and timetable details etc.

Have attached it here for you :)

(If the brochure is not clear to read, please email me at luckie_puris@yahoo.com.au and I can forward you a copy via email).

noumea.JPG

we have been to Noumea many times but never visited the Tjibaou Cultural Centre. On our next cruise we have 4 who haven't cruised before so will be going there then.

I thank you for the wonderful photos.

What else is there to do there and what time frame do you suggest spending there.

I guess that is like "how long is a piece of string"

we have been to Noumea many times but never visited the Tjibaou Cultural Centre. On our next cruise we have 4 who haven't cruised before so will be going there then.

I thank you for the wonderful photos.

What else is there to do there and what time frame do you suggest spending there.

I guess that is like "how long is a piece of string"

Hi Karon,

When we were at the Tjibaou Cultural Centre, there were no tours available so we did our own thing.

We spent about half an hour or so, walking around outdoors, admiring the scenery. As well as the amazing architecture, they also had tall huts which you could walk into that had various displays inside.

There is also a museum where you can look at tribal displays and artwork etc. We spent about 15 minutes in here.

All in all, it does depend how much time you want to spend there. You can do it in an hour and be ready for the next bus pickup (Noumea Explorer timetable), or you could spend two hours.

The scenery is amazing, everything is so green. You will take some fantastic photos here.

I've realised that many CC'ers aren't too keen on Noumea, but it really is what you make of it. The key is not to just walk about but instead find what Noumea has to offer and see the best of it.

The Tjibaou Cultural Centre is one of the highlights of Noumea.

Hope this has helped :)

• 1 year later...

These links are from their homepage, and shows information, departure times and pricing up until 31 March 2012.

According to their homepage, the cost for the bus only is 1,500 CFP (approx $17.07 AUD per adult), and the cost of bus / attractions package is 3,200 CFP (approx $36.43 AUD per adult). I am unsure of childrens prices.

Noumea Explorer (bus only) http://www.arcenciel.nc/en/excursion/noumea-explorer-0

Pass Nature Culture (admissions) and Noumea Explorer (bus) http://www.arcenciel.nc/en/excursion/pass-nature-culture-noumea-explorer-0

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

These links are from their homepage, and shows information, departure times and pricing up until 31 March 2012.

According to their homepage, the cost for the bus only is 1,500 CFP (approx $17.07 AUD per adult), and the cost of bus / attractions package is 3,200 CFP (approx $36.43 AUD per adult). I am unsure of childrens prices.

Noumea Explorer (bus only) http://www.arcenciel.nc/en/excursion/noumea-explorer-0

Pass Nature Culture (admissions) and Noumea Explorer (bus) http://www.arcenciel.nc/en/excursion/pass-nature-culture-noumea-explorer-0

Feel free to ask if you have any questions :)

Those are the same prices as in the image above - children are 750CFP for the bus ride.

I'd say you'd be pushing it to get all the use out of the package though. When I was there last year, I took an equivalent bus package and spent some time in the cultural centre, then looking around. There wasn't much time beyond that, especially to go to all 6 places included. I'd suggest the package is better if you're staying there i.e. non-cruise.

Those are the same prices as in the image above - children are 750CFP for the bus ride.

I'd say you'd be pushing it to get all the use out of the package though. When I was there last year, I took an equivalent bus package and spent some time in the cultural centre, then looking around. There wasn't much time beyond that, especially to go to all 6 places included. I'd suggest the package is better if you're staying there i.e. non-cruise.

Sorry yes you are correct, although I posted the prices to update my original post back in 2009.

We found enough time to do the Cultural Centre and Aquarium, and spend an hour or two walking around shopping. Like you said, you probably couldn't do all six attractions but for approx $36 per adult, it is a good alternative to the cruise line's tours, even if you only use it for the bus service around Noumea and one or two attractions.

We were in Noumea Oct - Nov last year, and picked up the Noumea Explorer from the cruise terminal for $10 aust p/p it was a large air conditioned passenger bus, we got off at the zoo, then picked the bus up again on its return and got off at the Museum, maybe they run it like this when a ship is in town, we were on a Princess cruise.. We will be there again in a few weeks time so will see if it is still running. Robin:)

We were in Noumea Oct - Nov last year, and picked up the Noumea Explorer from the cruise terminal for $10 aust p/p it was a large air conditioned passenger bus, we got off at the zoo, then picked the bus up again on its return and got off at the Museum, maybe they run it like this when a ship is in town, we were on a Princess cruise.. We will be there again in a few weeks time so will see if it is still running. Robin:)

Hi Robin, sounds like a great idea if they now run from the cruise terminal as will make it easier to use. If you do see it during your visit, please let us know! Have a fantastic cruise :)

• 1 month later...

Hi Robin, just wondering if you saw the Noumea Explorer on your cruise, and if it was running from the cruise terminal or if you had to make your own way to meet the bus? Thanks for your help :)

It appears that the Noumea Explorer does not operate on Mondays, so would suggest checking which day you are in port, if interested in this.

I would also recommend contacting them direct closer to the date, to confirm which days of the week they operate, where to meet the tour and an up to date timetable.

We took the Auckland equivalent of this bus - and found that 1. we could not see everything. 2 it took some planning to decide which stops to get off at, because getting off at a stop meant an hour there before the next bus came along. 9 stops x 1hour each = longer than we have there!! :)

I "have heard" of the places at the stops - not that keen on going to Museums/Aquariums (been there - done that) - so would people care to comment on what stops they would recommend (and why?) :p. We like scenery and basically just getting to understand places - not necessarily in great detail - but to come away, after an enjoyable day, with an "overview".

Thanks for any advice on the following

1. Le Meridien Hotel

3. Rock on the Sail

4. Lemon Bay Complex

Barry

We took the Auckland equivalent of this bus - and found that 1. we could not see everything. 2 it took some planning to decide which stops to get off at, because getting off at a stop meant an hour there before the next bus came along. 9 stops x 1hour each = longer than we have there!! :)

I "have heard" of the places at the stops - not that keen on going to Museums/Aquariums (been there - done that) - so would people care to comment on what stops they would recommend (and why?) :p. We like scenery and basically just getting to understand places - not necessarily in great detail - but to come away, after an enjoyable day, with an "overview".

1. Le Meridien Hotel

3. Rock on the Sail

4. Lemon Bay Complex

Barry

Hi Barry, I haven't been to all of the attractions but will answer on the ones I have been to. While you may not have time to do all of the above attractions, if you look at the price of purchasing the Noumea Explorer bus & admissions package, it is still very good value even if you only use it for a few attractions.

Lemon Bay - this stop had a nice strip of restaurants with a beach view, although we did not eat at any. I heard they were a bit expensive, but if you're a foodie, this might be somewhere you want to stop for lunch. Lemon Bay beach would be a nice spot if you want to go for a swim or walk along the beach. This is also the stop for the Aquarium, when we were there in 2008. Once you get off the bus at Lemon Bay, it is only a short walk. We really enjoyed the aquarium and the exhibits, and was nice to be in an airconditioned venue for a while.

Lemon Bay beach (photos from a Google online seach)

4577344396_fab4186297.jpg

1357764132_small_1.jpg

Town Center Coconut Square - here we walked around, through the parks in the centre, and looked at some shops. Generally Noumea is more expensive than Vila, although we did find some reasonably priced souveneirs in the stores.

Tjibaou Cultural Centre - When we went, it was a Monday and was closed. There were no guided tours available but we were able to still go through and do our own tour and sightseeing. I would suggest to confirm this with them in advance. It was designed by Renzo Piano, who also designed Pacific Dawn. Fantastic photo opportunities and if you do a tour, I'm sure it will offer a good insight into the Kanak culture.

1. Le Meridien Hotel

3. Rock on the Sail

4. Lemon Bay Complex

Barry

Some of the places aren't major stops anyway, e.g. the hotel is just a hotel (near another sculpture/lookout point but wouldn't recommend getting off there with limited time. Some are also not so far from each other, so you could walk between two as we did, which serves a dual purpose.

It depends on personal interest though - some on the tour wanted the beach scene so used it just to go to Citron Bay; for us I liked the cultural centre, which had some nice scenery, the architecture and is a dedicated cultural centre so had many locals doing research there, then we went on to look around the bay and shops. I suggest you plan around which places you'd prefer, then use it as a convenient way to get around.

BTW, on our visit they were running more frequently than every hour; it's somewhat demand based.

• 7 months later...

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone used the Noumea Explorer recently?

Seems like such a good thing, and so much cheaper than the P & O run tours. Just a couple of questions:

1. Would like to see the aquarium, is it very big, and how long does it take to see it all?

2. Is Lemon Bay or Anse Vata better for snorkelling?

3. What is Rock on the Sail?

Thanks in advance guys:D

We used the Noumea Explorer bus about 6 months ago. We used it primarily to get to the Tjibaou Centre, as it is a fair way from the city and we don't like using taxis. This was basically the only stop we used it for - and we spent over 3 hours at the centre. We enjoyed the Tjibaou centre - and spent a fair amount of time walking through the gardens outside the centre. Most people probably wouldn't spend that amount of time there - but it was a very relaxing place for us.

The bus tour also allowed us to have a general look at the area surrounding Noumea. We went around the circuit twice - just watching the passing scenery. It is not very expensive - and even if you only wanted to see a couple of places specifically ( the zoo is also a fair way from town) and would like a general overall view of the place, it is "OK"

Barry

• 1 month later...

Archived