How do I bring back my alcohol from my cruise?

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:22 AM.
New Jersey
102 Posts
Joined Aug 2014
I haven't been on a plane in a longgggg time. So help me out. The last time I cruised I came back home on the train. This time I'm flying in and out. How do I bring my alcohol back? Do I pack it and let security know I have it? HELP!

Carnival Liberty December 2017
Carnival Liberty December 2016
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
New Mexico
5,064 Posts
Joined Apr 2011
Originally posted by Turqoisblu
I haven't been on a plane in a longgggg time. So help me out. The last time I cruised I came back home on the train. This time I'm flying in and out. How do I bring my alcohol back? Do I pack it and let security know I have it? HELP!

Carnival Liberty December 2017
Carnival Liberty December 2016
We pack anything liquid in our checked bags using a "Wine Diaper".https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ds=Wine+diaper
Cabin bag liquids are limited and controlled by TSA. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule
Olathe, Kansas
3,077 Posts
Joined Aug 2011
I've never used a dedicated tool like Alaskanb's recommendations, but what I usually do is just wrap it as much as possible in clothing, clothing, and more clothing. I've never had a problem, but it's probably a good idea to invest in one of those dedicated tools if it's really important to you.
1,892 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by klfrodo
Has to be put in your checked luggage.
Cannot carry it on.
Technically this is incorrect. You can bring alcohol onto the aircraft, it is treated as any other permitted liquid and just has to be in less than 3oz containers.

FAA guidelines do not permit you to consume your own alcohol.
Houston, TX
5,060 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
If you are buying alcohol in the islands, most of the places will pack it for flying for you. (Basically bubble wrap around the bottles before they but it in the box. We did this in St. Thomas - on one airline we were able to check the box as luggage,...on another, Southwest, we had to rearrange our luggage to make room for it - luckily we had a reusable bag the cruise line I had "given" us so we moved clothing from the suitcase to that bag which made room in the suitcase for the liquor box and then we just carried on the "new" bag.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Clay

CruiseBlog: www.CruisinWithClay.wordpress.com
Norwegian Cruise Lines Platinum
Sailed: NCL Gem-Southern Carribean-April 2017 / Viking Njord-Danube-April 2016 / NCL Sun-Panama Canal-April 2015 / PRINCESS Caribbean Princess-Western Caribbean-Jan 2014 / NCL Jade- Rome to Venice - April 2013/NCL Gem- Canada - Sep 2012 /NCL Sun - Western Caribbean - Oct 2010 / NCL Sun - South America - March 2010 / Costa Atlantica - Caribbean - Nov 2009 / NCL Star-Mexican Riviera-Thanksgiving 2008 / NCL Jade-Eastern Med-Apr-May 2008 - 50th Birthday Celebration / Celebrity Infinity-Southern Caribbean-March 2006-Atlantis Charter / NCL Sun-Western Caribbean-New Years 2005 / Celebrity Summit-Alaska-August 2003-DDP's 40th Birthday Celebration / Carnival Mardi Gras-Eastern Caribbean-March 1980
136 Days at Sea.....not nearly enough!
Florida
20,315 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Just pack it very well in a suit case.
But is it really worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
We've been on
Carnival: 27 voyages 184 days
Celebrity: 3 voyages 24 days
Holland: 29 voyages 661 days
Norwegian: 2 voyages 16 days
Princess: 16 voyages 154 days
Royal Carib: 5 voyages 35 days
Vantage:River 2 voyages 39 days
GRAND TOTAL: 84 Cruises 1118 days

NOT YET SAILED
Veendam Atlantic Crossing 10/17 - 49 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/18 - 113 days
Rotterdam Boston to Rotter 7/18 - 19 days
Prinsendam Amster to FTL 8/18 96 days
Zaandam Antarctic 12/18 - 22 days
Nieuw Statadam Carb. 1/19 - 7 days
Amsterdam World Cruise 1/19 113 days
Tacoma, Wa, USA
8,148 Posts
Joined Dec 2000
Originally posted by fbgd
Technically this is incorrect. You can bring alcohol onto the aircraft, it is treated as any other permitted liquid and just has to be in less than 3oz containers.
That's just a stupid post. (Unless of course the whole purpose was to show how much smarter you are than anyone else).
It only took an IQ above 2 to know the poster was asking about bringing bottles of alcohol (more that the 3oz allowed by TSA) on the plane.
1,892 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by klfrodo
That's just a stupid post. (Unless of course the whole purpose was to show how much smarter you are than anyone else).
It only took an IQ above 2 to know the poster was asking about bringing bottles of alcohol (more that the 3oz allowed by TSA) on the plane.
Not so fast Captain Defensive...

The thread title was "How do I bring alcohol back from my cruise" and your response said you cannot carry it on, therefore implying that alcohol was not a permitted carry-on item. The original post did not specify the size of the alcohol bottles. Miniatures, anyone?
Long Island, NY
6,515 Posts
Joined Apr 2000
If you wait until you get to airport you can purchase at duty free shop and put in carry on.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Got2Cruise
Planning the cruise is half the fun.
At 35,000 feet
9,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by Got2Cruise
If you wait until you get to airport you can purchase at duty free shop and put in carry on.
A simplistic answer that ignores several points:

1) If you are flying back from overseas and your itinerary involves a connetion in the USA, you will not be allowed to keep it in your carryon for your connecting flights.

2) If you are flying back from overseas and your itinerary involves a connection abroad, you may or may not be allowed to take your liquor with you. Completely depends on the specifics for any STEB usage.,

3) If your cruise ends in the USA, there's no duty free store for you to access and make purchases.

Other than that....spot on advice!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Government Certified Expert"

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan
North County San Diego
1,875 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by FlyerTalker

1) If you are flying back from overseas and your itinerary involves a connetion in the USA, you will not be allowed to keep it in your carryon for your connecting flights.
This largely ended my purchases of alcohol in duty free shops all those years ago - 2006? It is even worse with today's limits on checked baggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Upcoming
TBD
Previous
Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 9/2017, Brilliance of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2017, Jewel of the Seas - Transatlantic - 4/2016, Serenade of the Seas - Southern Caribbean - 11/2015, Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Med/Turkey - 6/2011, Allure of the Seas - Western Caribbean - 4/2011, Mariner of the Seas - Western Mexico II - 4/2009, Jewel of the Seas - Panama Canal - 12/2008, Navigator of the Seas - Atlantic Coast/Western Med - 7/2007, Vision of the Seas - Western Mexico - 4/2006, Jewel of the Seas - Baltic - 7/2005, Brilliance of the Seas - Med / Greek Islands - 7/2004, Disney Magic - Western Caribbean - 2/2003, Disney Magic - Eastern Caribbean - 2/2001
17,523 Posts
Joined Jul 2007

2) If you are flying back from overseas and your itinerary involves a connection abroad, you may or may not be allowed to take your liquor with you. Completely depends on the specifics for any STEB usage.,

3) If your cruise ends in the USA, there's no duty free store for you to access and make purchases.

That rule was changed several years ago. If the liquids are in a tamper-evident bag and you have the original receipt you are allowed to carry it on your connecting domestic flight.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...g/liquids-rule

Inbound International Flights

You may carry duty free liquids in secure, tamper–evident bags, more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml in your carry-on bag if:
  • The duty free liquids were purchased internationally and you are traveling to the United States with a connecting flight.
  • The liquids are packed in a transparent, secure, tamper-evident bag by the retailer and do not show signs of tampering when presented to TSA for screening.
  • The original receipt for the liquids is present and the purchase was made within 48 hours.

Liquids more than 3.4 oz or 100 ml not in a secure, tamper-evident bag must be packed in checked baggage.
At 35,000 feet
9,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
From my observations, TSA screeners often ignore that rule. Many a time, I have heard TSA agents calling out in an international recheck bag drop "All liquids into checked luggage, even if in a security bag". When challenged with printed documentation by a fellow traveler, I heard "That's not the protocol we follow". And we know that if you argue and complain, your name goes into the dreaded SSSS list. (These examples are within the last few years)

Whether these were isolated cases of power-tripping smurfs, I cannot say. All I know is that I won't risk my $100+ bottle of a fine rare Scotch whiskey to the vagaries of an ill-trained government drone.

YMMV.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan
17,523 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
From my observations, TSA screeners often ignore that rule. Many a time, I have heard TSA agents calling out in an international recheck bag drop "All liquids into checked luggage, even if in a security bag". When challenged with printed documentation by a fellow traveler, I heard "That's not the protocol we follow". And we know that if you argue and complain, your name goes into the dreaded SSSS list. (These examples are within the last few years)

Whether these were isolated cases of power-tripping smurfs, I cannot say. All I know is that I won't risk my $100+ bottle of a fine rare Scotch whiskey to the vagaries of an ill-trained government drone.

YMMV.
If I actually heard them say that I suppose I would pack my liquor into one of my checked bags, but absent that I wouldn't.
At 35,000 feet
9,325 Posts
Joined Mar 2006
Originally posted by njhorseman
If I actually heard them say that I suppose I would pack my liquor into one of my checked bags, but absent that I wouldn't.
The problem arises if you leave your checked bags at the drop off, then head over to the screening and they pull the power trip. Now, you have no checked bag for it to go into, as it has been whisked away on a conveyor belt. So you can find a chicken and egg.

FWIW, the "not the protocol" line was used at the x-ray/WTMD station. And the TSA agents got a nice bottle of whiskey for the break room as there was no recourse for the passenger. Conspiratorial folks might think they pull that to stock the liquor cabinet when they see something "interesting". Who knows?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Long Island, NY
6,515 Posts
Joined Apr 2000

lol I've been cruising in Europe lately. I forgot.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Got2Cruise
Planning the cruise is half the fun.
3,650 Posts
Joined Feb 2010
Originally posted by fbgd
Not so fast Captain Defensive...

The thread title was "How do I bring alcohol back from my cruise" and your response said you cannot carry it on, therefore implying that alcohol was not a permitted carry-on item. The original post did not specify the size of the alcohol bottles. Miniatures, anyone?
Your funny because sometimes, when a person post a question, they really aren't thinking about silly little exceptions like a trial bottle, or a bottle bought in a duty free shop. But if you read the question, it would have been logical to assume they were buying actual bottle of booze thus the need to have an IQ of 2 to understand it
3,650 Posts
Joined Feb 2010

Well, I brought wine back on two different occasions from France, and they packed it in a duty free bag, sealed it, and a visible receipt. Went through security with no issues whatsoever. They just looked at it, and I moved on.

San Juan has a duty free shop, and that's the USA.

Other than that, you might be right on point number 2