Bringing Flowers on Board - Seattle NCL Cruise

LeDemonBlond

The last time I was in Seattle was when we stopped there on our way from Vancouver to San Diego on a cruise down the pacific cost.

On the way back to the pier to get on the ship, my wife bought some flowers from Pikes Market. I was surprised that they let her bring the flowers on the ship.

Were going on a NCL Alaskan cruise that will start in Seattle. For those that have started on a cruise in Seattle, have you been able to bring flowers on board?

Cut flowers (possibly imported from elsewhere, but if so already vetted) sold in the US can be taken onboard a cruise departing from the US. Taking them back OFF the ship would be a no-no, even in another US port, but bringing them onboard isn't a problem. Even up here in Vancouver, where the flowers would be Canadian-vetted but being brought into the US (most cruises leaving Vancouver get precleared at the pier as they're heading to Alaska, California, Hawaii...) and there are some additional rules to worry about, cut flowers can generally be brought onboard without the CBP guys even looking at them sideways.

Only once have I seen a flower let through at debarkation. The rose petals were pulled apart and then aggressively hit against jacket sleeve of the CBP Officer. It was much worse for wear after it’s interrogation.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...
The last time I was in Seattle was when we stopped there on our way from Vancouver to San Diego on a cruise down the pacific cost.

On the way back to the pier to get on the ship, my wife bought some flowers from Pikes Market. I was surprised that they let her bring the flowers on the ship.

Were going on a NCL Alaskan cruise that will start in Seattle. For those that have started on a cruise in Seattle, have you been able to bring flowers on board?

Only cruise line I know of that won't let you bring flowers on board their ship in Seattle is Carnival. They started prohibiting that right after the start of the cruise season either last year (2016) or this past season (2017). I have no idea why the prohibition.

Tom