Just got back...Very short review of the Sunshine

matymil

This is the one with the multi level serenity deck right? Was it as crowded as people say? We've only been on the Conquest and Splendor and Haven't felt crowded there so would love to try the Sunshine

I was on the Sunshine from 9/9-9/16....and we had superb weather for an autumn cruise to Canada. People were actually swimming in the pool (lido & serenity decks).

It was full of people....but whenever I went, there were always seats available. I was there "late afternoon".

This is the one with the multi level serenity deck right? Was it as crowded as people say? We've only been on the Conquest and Splendor and Haven't felt crowded there so would love to try the Sunshine

We mostly went up there as the ship was leaving port. The pool never had more than one or two other ppl in it. The deck was never crowded however the hottub always seemed to be crowded.

we hit the serenity hot tub some early mornings and then again in the afternoons. I think the most we ever had in there at one time was 8. there were always seats available on the 3 levels also. Now if this were a Caribbean cruise I am sure it would have been a little harder to find a set.

Haven't been on her since 2014. Our son liked the lido pool, but one thing that irked me was we could never find even 1 lounge chair on the outside decks to keep an eye on our son. In fact, I walked the whole 9th and 10th floor once with my son looking for a single chair to sit at while he was at the water slides, and found nothing, just mostly chairs with nothing on them but a book, shirt, shoes, etc to stake the claim. It was very annoying. Also, when my husband and I went to Serenity we ran into the same issue most of the time, no open loungers.

Please tell me this has gotten better. We are set to try again in March 2018 for 8 days with 4 sea days.

Looking forward to our second trip on the Sunshine on Dec. 1st. Great ship!

I'm on that cruise too! Really looking forward to sailing on her for the first time. Wondering how the itinerary will change, but whatever it is, it should be fine. I expect we'll end up in the Western Caribbean.

And although my review was interpreted as negative by the cheerleaders, it wasn't. My point was that the buffet has less options than on NCL, which is a fact.

Huh...what???? You do know there are also Guy's Burger, Italian pasta bar, Mongolia wok, burrito station and 24 hr pizza at no extra charge besides Lido buffet right? Sunshine has more food options than an average buffet eater can handle.

Not hating, but can someone please reassure me that the deck chair hogging issue is not something I need to worry about, and I can get into the comedy shows if I show up only 30 minutes in advance? Please?
Nobody can reassure you of that 100%, because crowded comedy shows run rampant on any Carnival ship. Their popularity vs. the venue create that problem. Same with the "chair hogs." In certain areas of the deck, there's always going to be that problem.

Now having said that, I spent 8 days on the Sunshine and never once had an issue with finding a lounger. Not once in 8 days with 5 of those being sea days. But, I don't go near the pool or near any of the hot spots. We always find loungers up and back. Yes it's away from the action, but it saves you the frustration of looking for a chair. And it varies at to whether or not they will monitor it. Don't count on it.

I did the same thing with the serenity area, went up to deck 2 or 3 and found loungers. Near the pool or any of the clambshells is impossible. I suspect folks in those spa cabins closest to serenity must get up at the crack of dawn (no exaggeration) to get one. The one or two times we did snag one of those was always later in the afternoon.

As far as the comedy club, my advice is just get there 30 minutes early minimum. That's what we did. Always found a decent seat. Otherwise, don't bother. You'll wind up stuck on the sides watching a monitor, which for as much as I love this ship, is a totally screwy stupid set up as seen in this pic.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

7a649210af34b4290fffeba236aaa93a.jpg

Lol!! Thanks....yeah maybe I liked it more cause my bar wasn't too high. I went on it back when it was the Destiny and I enjoyed it back then. I read so many bad reviews about it that I didn't get my hopes up. Honestly I don't know why people hate on it...vacation is what you make of it. I had a wonderful time...the only thing I wasn't high on (which I was made aware of by a staff member on the Vista) was the sports bar. Other than that I loved everything about the NE/Canada itinerary and the ship.

We are going to be on her for Thanksgiving. What didn't you like about the sports bar?

Not hating, but can someone please reassure me that the deck chair hogging issue is not something I need to worry about, and I can get into the comedy shows if I show up only 30 minutes in advance? Please?

Deck chairs weren't an issue at all but this wasn't a Caribbean cruise so that might have something to do with it. I heard the comedy show lines weren't bad from someone who went. We had an older crowd on board so I don't think they were into it that much.

We are going to be on her for Thanksgiving. What didn't you like about the sports bar?

A bartender on the Vista told me that the Sunshine sports bar was like the training bar and nobody wants to work on it....and boy you could tell. The bartenders weren't outgoing at all, they didn't seem like they wanted to make drinks in general. Also it was kickoff weekend for the NFL and the sports bar wasn't supposed to open until 2pm!! I went down at around 11am and waited until almost 12:30 until I finally gave up and left to find the games somewhere else. I came back at 1:15pm and the games were on (I was told they waited until after kickoff to put them on). I know what games they can or cannot get have nothing to do with the bartenders BUT situations like that are what you make of it. Every other sports bar bartender on every other ship ive ever been on I considered a buddy by the end of the cruise...in fact the guy from the Vista remembered me from the Pride. It wasn't a huge deal but def the worst part about or cruise.

A bartender on the Vista told me that the Sunshine sports bar was like the training bar and nobody wants to work on it....and boy you could tell. The bartenders weren't outgoing at all, they didn't seem like they wanted to make drinks in general. Also it was kickoff weekend for the NFL and the sports bar wasn't supposed to open until 2pm!! I went down at around 11am and waited until almost 12:30 until I finally gave up and left to find the games somewhere else. I came back at 1:15pm and the games were on (I was told they waited until after kickoff to put them on). I know what games they can or cannot get have nothing to do with the bartenders BUT situations like that are what you make of it. Every other sports bar bartender on every other ship ive ever been on I considered a buddy by the end of the cruise...in fact the guy from the Vista remembered me from the Pride. It wasn't a huge deal but def the worst part about or cruise.

That is disappointing! And to think that a bar is supposed to be a revenue generator.